what did you try

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 1st, 2010, 10:15 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
to get that baby out?

when did you start trying natural induction methods?

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
June 1st, 2010, 01:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My husband and I tried walking and sex. I had my doctor strip my membranes at my 40 week appointment.

Even though I did go into labor the night of my 40 week appointment, I kind of think it would have happened anyway. I figure if the baby isn't ready, it wouldn't have worked. If the baby is ready, she'll come out on her own without any membrane striping.

I can easily say now that I wouldn't do it again--but I'm not 40 weeks pregnant with an induction date looming over me right now! Those kind of circumstances are likely to make a pregnant lady try things she knows won't work!
June 1st, 2010, 09:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I did red raspberry leaf tea and EPO....

I started the red raspberry tea at 18 weeks and started the EPO at 34 weeks.. I would say it worked because my water broke on its own at 38 weeks had a relatively short labor for a first time mommy... I only pushed for 20 minutes too....

Last edited by PinkFireFly; June 2nd, 2010 at 11:51 PM.
June 1st, 2010, 10:04 PM
I took EPO starting at 33w or something like that but that was about it. it didn't do much for me (actually anything) since i was as closed up as a 20w'er according to my mw

i prolly won't do much next time either, my mw lets you go to 43w before she even mentions induction at which point she recommends acupuncture before starting a chemical induction.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
June 2nd, 2010, 07:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicaChels View Post
i prolly won't do much next time either, my mw lets you go to 43w before she even mentions induction at which point she recommends acupuncture before starting a chemical induction.
That's nice! The office I go to doesn't let you go past 42 weeks, and they only do inductions one day a week. So for me, if my daughter wasn't born on her own, I would have been induced at 41w3d.

I never wanted to try EPO because I read one study that found that women who took EPO didn't have any shorter labors, but they were more likely to have forceps delivery and a few other issues/interventions. Even if that study was poorly done (I'm not sure if it was or not, I only read the abstract), I didn't want to chance it!
June 2nd, 2010, 11:41 AM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm trying most of those things right now! I wouldn't personally worry about going too far "overdue", but the only way I can have a non-hospital birth without all the nasty induction chemicals is if she comes before 42 weeks. I'm pretty upset that I don't have a say in that. I'm at 41 right now, and already they're wanting additional ultrasounds and non-stress tests. I wish the medical system would just leave my baby alone and let her come in her own time. So far we've tried walking, sex, EPO, raspberry leaf tea, membrane stripping, spicy foods, asking her really, really nicely, nipple stimulation, the works. I agree that if your baby and body aren't ready, it's not going to happen...but having a hospital birth and induction date coming up is making me desperate! Gee, I wonder if the stress has anything to do with the delay....

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

June 2nd, 2010, 11:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlife View Post
That's nice! The office I go to doesn't let you go past 42 weeks, and they only do inductions one day a week. So for me, if my daughter wasn't born on her own, I would have been induced at 41w3d.

I never wanted to try EPO because I read one study that found that women who took EPO didn't have any shorter labors, but they were more likely to have forceps delivery and a few other issues/interventions. Even if that study was poorly done (I'm not sure if it was or not, I only read the abstract), I didn't want to chance it!
I would say for being a first time mommy, from start to finish is was 18 hours... I didn't start contractions until 5 hours after my water broke... my cervix was very soft and I effaced quickly until I ended up with the OB from hell, got an epi and dilated in under 2 hours, pushed for 20 mins... I would say the EPO helped my cervix but I pushed without help...

I did read though about RRL tea that due to the high calcium content that it could lead to delays in contractions and intensity... I drank that stuff like it was going out of style... it was so good tasting and satisfying but I wonder if that is why I didn't have a single contraction on my own...
June 3rd, 2010, 12:45 AM
Cheet_oh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Walking and sex.. and when that failed, induction (at least with my last three)

June 3rd, 2010, 05:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicBaby21 View Post
I did read though about RRL tea that due to the high calcium content that it could lead to delays in contractions and intensity... I drank that stuff like it was going out of style... it was so good tasting and satisfying but I wonder if that is why I didn't have a single contraction on my own...
That's interesting, I've never heard that it would negatively affect contractions. I always heard that it tones the uterus. I've also heard many anecdotal claims that it can increase the frequency and intensity of BH contractions--which would make me think it would do the same for the real deal.

So you say you didn't have any contractions on your own? Did you have pit? With my son, my water broke, and after 5 hours nothing had started so I was given pitocin.
June 4th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
With my first we tried sex and a lot of walking and then DH got the bright idea on our way home from the OB office after we set up the induction date to take the way home that takes us over about 12 really bumpy railroad tracks... I was less than impressed with that tactic.

Many Many Thanks to GraysMama (Chelsea) for my AMAZING Siggy!!!

June 4th, 2010, 02:25 PM
I tried walking and eating spicy food. Neither one worked for me.
June 4th, 2010, 03:09 PM
I have never heard of that with EPO..interesting. My MW and my acupuncturist highly recommend it, but I wasn't even like 1/2% effaced at my induction I was taking it vaginally (1000mg a day) and orally (1000mg a day) orally in the AM, vaginally in the PM. I'm about to start taking it again since I have read it can help you get preggo also, since it makes the cervix softer and more favorable. Who knows :shrug:

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
June 5th, 2010, 07:39 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
I didn't try anything. I was in no hurry to get the baby out. But my boss worked me to death and that kicked started my contractions....sent my BP sky high, and the next day at my appt. my doc said she'd induce.

I dunno... I just don't like the idea of trying to force something that's not ready to happen yet. You'll have the baby when you're supposed to.

June 5th, 2010, 08:20 PM
i:heart:you's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I tried walking, sex, spicy foods and castor oil. Nothing worked, never had one contraction on my own, nothing I was induced at 41w 5 days. I only tried all these things as I was desperate and wanted to get things moving, but I had to be induced. I hoping for a different outcome this time

**Thank you Bokkechick for my awesome siggy**
June 6th, 2010, 07:24 AM
babi_lovin11's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to babi_lovin11
With Olivia, We had LOTS of sex, I couldn't O every time but it was soo hard to do, plus we took it easy and slow since Olivia was soo low I could feel her head myself. The day of the induction 6am me and SO got up DTD, I had a shower then had some juice and drank my morning routine of lots of water. Checked into the hospital at 7:30am. DR checked my cervix and said "wow your cervix is really soft and ready to go, your already almost 3 cm."

I also done A LOT of walking, probably more than a pregnant woman should, in those last 3 weeks I lost over 10 lbs because of all the walking we done. I would walk around the malls in the day time (because it was soo hot outside), but then when it cooled down in the evenings me and SO would leave about 6 pm and walk all around downtown until 10 at night

I done alot of mild exercises and stretching, just simple ones like mini squats, I followed the exercise guide my OB gave me. I think it really helped because Olivia was born super fast. I pushed 2 times. One for her head and one for her shoulders. Around here they put your legs in stirrups and the edge of the bed comes off and underneath is this huge pan that catches all the blood and stuff. Well Olivia was born soo fast that she was just born on the bed and I held my own legs, well SO helped
June 6th, 2010, 01:33 PM
*Dayna*'s Avatar Aussie Mama
I had my membranes stripped, my cervix stretched, nipple stimulation, red raspberry leaf tea, I even went jogging I went for a semi fast paced walk for an hour and a half every single night. I had sex at least once a day and nothing worked. Both kids late.
June 7th, 2010, 12:26 AM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
I have tried things, sorta...but nothing that I wasn't just already doing, like walking, or sex, or something of that nature.

June 16th, 2010, 02:37 AM
Veteran
I tried walking, nipple stimulation and castor oil. Nothing worked.
Felix was born 01/01/2013
Christine was born 09/02/2014
Johanna and Michael : 09/25/2015
EDD: 12/25/2016

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search