weird comment today

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 24th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Corrupt's Avatar Happy Mama
My lifetime experience with doctors in general leaves much to be desired. I won't bother listing specific examples but suffice it to say that I have an exceptional talent for finding Doctors who should have chosen a different career path.
I very much like the general approach of midwifery and after losing our first, I had absolutely had it with doctors. I started with an OB by default when we conceived again. He really wasn't too bad and had an excellent reputation, however, he was very busy, very rushed and much too pushy for my tastes.
I immediately found a midwife practice. They offered all the emotional support I needed and my appointments were never rushed. They explained all the standard tests and procedures that were available, what they could and couldn't do, why a woman might choose not to get them and after all that, I would be ASKED if I wanted ( ). I was encouraged to do my own research and given time to make decisions - there was no pressure. No mention of flu shots (at the height of pig flu panic), I never stepped on a scale and my first vaginal exam wasn't until 38 weeks when I thought I was leaking amniotic fluid (false alarm lol). I even did my own GBS swab. They schedualed an extra appointment in the first trimester for me simply because I needed to hear the baby's heartbeat for reassurance between my regular visits. My birth plan was thoroughly discussed and respected during labour and when the head of the delivery wing wanted them to induce me (water broke a whopping 5 hours before contractions started), they adamantly refused as per my wishes. When we got off to a slow start with nursing, they made numerous house calls until we got the hang of it. They're always on call 24/7 and I was told on several occasions to never hesitate to call if I had a concern that I felt couldn't wait until regular hours.
I realise I'm rambling but they were amazing and I think they deserve being rambled about. I'll definitely be returning to them with future pregnancies.
July 26th, 2010, 03:01 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
that wounds like an amazing experience, corrupt!! I'm so happy for you

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
August 12th, 2010, 08:25 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
I only went to an OB because the m/w here don't do VBA2Cs. Now that I've had a VBA2C though, a m/w will take me. It's on the table for my next pg.
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"
Grayson (10/16/13)2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

EDD May 12th with identical twin GIRLS!!

August 13th, 2010, 04:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Things are just a lot different here. I saw a gynecologist throughout my pregnancy and I also had a MW too, but not really for medical stuff. Neither the gynecologist or MW that I hired attends the birth. You can choose whatever hospital or birth center you want (unless high risk), but whatever doctor and MW is on that day/night is who you get. It would be rare to actually meet who delivers you baby beforehand.

OK, that was a little off track. I saw a doctor and will do so again. I felt I had exemplary care- cautious, but not alarmist which is how I am. I got U/S's at every single visit by the doctor. My appointments were always 45-60 minutes long. Went to a 1 doctor practice, so I saw the same one every time. She was AMAZING. Even at the end when I was having complications, she gave me her personal cell phone number and home phone if we ever needed here.

I ended up being high risk and for that reason who never really consider a MW, especially after being so happy with my doctor.
7 lbs 6 oz, 21 inches
August 22nd, 2010, 05:51 PM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
I chose an OB because a mw was not available in my area. There is one that covers this area, but she is nearly an hour away. The state has restrictions on home birth and I'm not comfortable with that since this is my first baby. There are no birthing centers and my only option is the hospital. The hospital will not allow the midwife to perform any medical functions in the hospital and so she is more like a doula. They also restrict mothers to the bed and are not open to more alternative practices in birthing.

August 22nd, 2010, 06:45 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
that sounds horrible! I would totally find a new practice. You have the right to be an advocate for your birth!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
August 24th, 2010, 03:23 PM
I am actively seeking a midwife over any Doc. I've had great births with midwives...and the 1st time I used a doctor...he turned my normal delivery into (what he thought was) a medical emergency... Never again!
People are general not educated enough on the subject to know what the Norm is. So I'm not at all surprised by your friends' reaction.
September 6th, 2010, 09:36 AM
My husband is military, so we have little choice in who we see as far as medical care is concerned. Our prenatal care is given by an outside clinic that comes to the base, they rotate between 3 OBs and a midwife. Which I hate! I'm 36 wks along now and feel like I don't know any of the OBs well because it is a different Dr everytime I go in. I have come to request my appointments with the midwife everytime. She has much better bedside manner and seems to genuinely be concerned about how I'm doing/feeling. The OBs make me feel like I'm part of an assembly line, they want in and out. Unfortunately though, I have no control over who will be attending the delivery. So while I have built a relationship with only the midwife, my baby will be delivered by whoever is on call that night.
November 8th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Super Mommy
I chose my family dr to be my primary caregiver with all three of my pregnancies. I like her a lot and have been with her for a long time since I miscarried my first pg and she is my son's doctor as well and will see him during my visits. I find her very informed and helpful and she was there with me during labor and c-section with my son, has helped me with nursing and post-partum and is now my son's doctor. With this pg, I am likely to need a c-section,so I have also been seeing an OB that my DR referred me to who will perform teh c-section if needed. I found both my Dr and OB excellent. They take their time during visits and put me at ease.

The main reason why I didn't want a midwife is that I already had a female doctor whom I trusted and liked and this time around also becasue of possible complications during labor and wanting to know the OB who is likely to preform my c-section if I need one.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search