weird comment today

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 10th, 2010, 09:13 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was talking to one of my friends who delivered with an OB - a very common birth, epi, ob, etc...which is no problem, but then I was telling her how I went to a midwife and she said "Weren't you afraid going to a midwife????" and I was totally shocked! It made me wonder if that's what a lot of people think? That midwives are scary?

so those who go to OBs - why did you chose an OB over a midwife?

Did you ever consider (or would you ever consider) going to a midwife? CNM or CPM?

those who went to midwives, why did you chose a midwife over an ob?

just any thoughts in general on midwifery delivery...it really sparked my interest because I never thought anyone would think of a midwife as scary?

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
June 11th, 2010, 05:08 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think some people think that midwives don't know as much or aren't as experienced as OB's ...when in reality they're usually just the opposite

I have always used a midwife and I love her. She makes me feel so relaxed and comfortable, and we chat about off-topic things as much as pregnancy during my visits. I knew I wanted a natural birth and a midwife was the safest way to get that, so that's why I chose them in the first place.

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

June 11th, 2010, 06:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
When I was in high school, I saw an LPN rather than a doctor. I loved her because she actually spent time with me and made sure all my questions were answered. When I was pregnant for the first time, I chose the clinic based on location (walking distance to both my home and my work), and then when I was offered a choice of a midwife or an OB, I chose a midwife. It wasn't a strong feeling of "I have to have a midwife!". It was more that I've been happy seeing nurses instead of doctors in the past.

I had a rough pregnancy. It wasn't high risk, but I was throwing up 5-15 times a day, lost 15% of my body weight, had to get IV fluids 3 times, and had to go on short term disability. A lot of the older women at my work were horrified that I was seeing a midwife and not a doctor--they thought that with how rough my pregnancy was, that I needed a "real" doctor.

I moved between my 1st pregnancy and my 2nd pregnancy, and it would have been really silly of me to continue to go to the clinic that I went to before. So I choose the clinic that was nearby that worked with the same hospital I had my first at. They didn't have any midwives, so I went with a DO. To be honest, I didn't request her, she was just who they offered. I don't know if they suggest her to women who ask for midwives or if she was just the one with an opening around when I needed to first go in.

I love her! I liked the midwife I had seen, but I hadn't realized how much the midwife brushed off my questions and concerns until I saw someone else with my second pregnancy. My DO treated all my concerns as legitimate to be concerned about and then either explained why it wasn't something that should be a problem, or offered some kind of solution (for example, she offered to refer me to a physical therapist when my tailbone started hurting really badly during the pregnancy).

My HG was much better managed--I only lost 8% of my body weight, I was able to keep food down every day (the 1st time I once went a whole weekend unable to keep anything down), and I never got so dehydrated that I needed IV fluids. I enjoyed my 2nd pregnancy so much better (even though it still sucked!).

I'm not saying that midwives suck. Rather, I'm saying that it's possible to have a doctor that is better than a good midwife. I was happy with the midwife I saw--but I was happier with the doctor I saw.
June 11th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I chose an OB over a midwife because it was important to me that if problems should arise, that my doctor be the one handling them.. if I have to have a c-section for any reason, I want my doctor doing it.. any other emergency, I want my doctor handling it... I didn't want to go to a midwife, have something go wrong during delivery, and then have to let an OB that I don't know and aren't familiar with deliver my baby. This is also why I chose an OB who has her own practice instead of being a part of a bigger practice where I'd have to see the on call OB if something were wrong. My doctor is always the one they call. She takes 2 weeks a year when she's on vacation and she brings the doctor who covers for her in to the office well before she's unavailable so all her patients have met him prior to her vacation.

Many Many Thanks to GraysMama (Chelsea) for my AMAZING Siggy!!!

June 11th, 2010, 12:58 PM
~Allison~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I chose an OB over a midwife because that's just the common practice here (small town southern Illinois). Almost everyone you talk to goes to an OB, so going to a midwife is new and foreign to us. Plus, I felt more comfortable going with an OB over a midwife incase I did have any complications during labor & delivery.

June 13th, 2010, 07:45 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
My mother is an OB, but she is a very old-fashioned, non-interventionist practitioner. She has drilled into my head since I was a child that a doctor should not interfere with a delivery unless there is a problem. She didn't believe in elective induction, elective cesarean, or even epidurals unless the patient was on pitocin. She told me a long time ago that OBs like here were getting harder and harder to find and that all low-risk obstetrical patients should be seeing midwives. SO when I got pregnant, I did what Mommy told me

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
June 14th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Cheet_oh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think the biggest fear I have of midwives is the fact that they're going to ask you to try without an epidural. I really don't have the patience to sit there and argue with someone over pain relief. I did that twice, once with my first birth (the anesthesiologist was chastising me because I didn't take Demerol and wanted an epidural instead. Second time was with Mina. The nurses only numbed me a little bit and I decided I was going to scream at them until I got my way. I won in the end and the rest of my birth was amazing.

I don't feel like having to yell at a midwife....

(Angela - 37) (Doug - 32)

(Steven - 20) (Sebastian - 18) (Mina - 13) (Ava - 4) (Aria - 1)

June 14th, 2010, 10:33 PM
my midwives (I cant speak for all) support whatever birth you want. They will even see planned scheduled c-section moms because the prenatal appts are so much more personal. I can't imagine them every arguing with a woman in labor who wants an epidural.

My experience, Heather KNEW I didn't want pain medications so she yelled at me (I needed it!) but if I'd truly wanted it, she would've happily ordered it up

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
June 15th, 2010, 09:34 AM
I have 4 children and 1 on the way. My sons were all delivered by midwifes and I have to say I had a really positive experience. Their bed side manner was so much better than any OB. With my daughter I went to a different doctor and hospital and I had the most aweful experience. The doctor was horrible and did not have a great bed side manner and he did not check me for several things during my pregnancy. I hated him and the whole experience, the hospital that she was delivered at was even worse.

So with that being said I went back to the provider that delivered all 3 of my sons and that hospital with this one. I was expecting to do deliver once again with a midwife, but to my surprise they did away with them. They told me in the beginning that it was not cost affective for the hospital to have them on staff any more so my OB will be delivering my baby girl this time. I love my doctor and she has been wonderful with me this pregnancy considering I am high risk and am 39 years old. I do not know what the delivery situation will be, but I am hoping since it is at the hospital that all my sons were born at that I will have a great experience again. I will keep you all posted.
June 15th, 2010, 10:07 AM
prolly not cost effective because of their low c-section rate. Stupid hospitals

im glad you are liking your new OB! that's great! When are you due?

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
June 15th, 2010, 10:13 AM
My due date is June 22nd! Can't be soon enough for me, I am pretty miserable. Today is the first day that I have felt good for about 5 days. I have a lot of energy and just feel good today. Let's see if it keeps up through out the day.
June 15th, 2010, 09:10 PM
oooh, you know usually a sudden spurt of energy is a sign that labor is nearing

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
June 16th, 2010, 07:31 AM
I know, everyone has been telling me its the calm before the storm. We will see what happens, would love to have her really soon!
June 16th, 2010, 04:02 PM
katinagj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm only early on in my pregnancy but I have had my OB picked out since before my first pregnancy in September. The only reason I have chosen an OB over a midwife is because I have known my OB for almost my entire life(she was my primary dr growing up as well as my moms). I know her history well, and I know that I can trust her. I also have a friend who goes to her as well and is on her second pregnancy with her. Also location is good too, right around the corner from my house. I just feel very comfortable with this woman and know she will do a good job in the delivery as well as keeping my confidence up. She is one in a million as far as most drs go...I've never met another one quite so personal.

9-2009. 10-2009. 3-2012. 5-2012. 8-2012.

My Ovulation Chart

My blog: http://www.homemakerontheverge.blogspot.com/
June 18th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Amanda_Marie's Avatar Mommy to Owen
When I first got pregnant, I had no clue about anything. Especially since it wasn't planned. So to be honest, I had no idea there was a difference between an OB and a midwife. When I my test came back positive I just called my OB's office and went in and just kept going. I didn't realize there was a difference until halfway through my pregnancy.

I think some people just aren't aware of what midwives are and what they do.

To be honest, whether it's an OB or a midwife, they are both capable of making the same mistakes. I'm a good example. I delivered with an OB (it was a practice of 10) and she's been in practice for 15 years. Well she totally messed up with my delivery. She had no idea I was in labor and failed to monitor me or check me.

Thank you Tasha_Mae for my beautiful siggy!
June 19th, 2010, 10:13 AM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Idk that I'd ever go back to a midwife just cuz mine sucked so bad IMO. But I don't think that's a midwife thing in general, I think I just got bad luck, but I've had some good OBs, so...

July 4th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Trish36's Avatar Mom of 4
This is my 4th pregnancy and with my first 3 I was seeing an OB. It was a group practice so you would see whoever was available and whoever was on call at the hospital that day would deliver the baby. I always felt like a number there. It was busy with a million women in the waiting room. Sometimes I would wait an hour and then be seen for 2 minutes. The Dr.s were always so quick to do what they had to do and didn't really leave time for questions etc. before they ran out of the room. I was lucky that all my pregnancies were smooth and problem free.
But I never felt a connection with any of the dr.s.

This time I have decided to go with a midwife. I love it. I have 3 midwives assigned to me and it's great. They take the time to chat and go over any questions and concerns and over any test results with me. I never feel rushed or that they brush my questions off. My appointments are 30 minutes long and sometimes we chat longer and sometimes I'm done after 15 minutes, just depends. They always answer my phone calls and even the receptionist there is very helpful, if I have any questions.
I am very happy knowing that at least one of the midwives I've been seeing will be there for the birth and they are totally open minded to pain meds, it's totally up to me. I also get to go home after about 6 hours, as long as there are no issues with me or the baby. I don't really care to sleep in the uncomfortable hospital bed.
If any issues should arise they do transfer the care to an OB, as they can't do inductions or prescribe meds, but that's okay.
I vote midwife!!

Project 365 - 2012: http://trisha2012.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

July 4th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Trish, why can't your midwife induce you? Are you going to a birth center or a hospital based?

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
July 5th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Orangebrittainy's Avatar Queen of Randomocity
When I got pregnant, I had no clue what a midwife was. I went to an OB because it was all I knew. I wasn't from the area so I had no clue who to see and went to one my MIl recommended. After one time of waiting 3 hours for my appt only to be in and out in 2 minutes, I tried another office. I Loved the second office. I wound up seeing the midwife at that practice. She left to go somewhere else about midway through it. But I still enjoyed it there.

Thank you *Kiliki* for once again doing such amazing work on a siggie
I can do all things through Christ which Strengtheneth me. (Phil 4:13)

July 24th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I use and OB over a MW because I am high risk and no MW will touch me with a 10 foot pole!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search