Early Labor Question

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 16th, 2010, 06:29 AM
Blyndfayth's Avatar Member
Hi,

I'm new here!
Due (well they can't agree.. lmao) sometime from the 24 to the 7th! The official due date (based on the first ultrasound) is the 7th but they've made it clear due to the size of the baby they wouldn't be at all surprised if I delivered anytime now. Estimating the "real" due date to be the 24th.... silly doctors.

I have two daughters who are 4 and 6 and I don't remember much about early labor.
With my oldest, my water ruptured (felt like when your ear pops but not in my ear ) but didn't gush so they admitted me in the hospital, and waited. When my water didn't finish coming out they hooked it and got it to break break but my body didn't kick up contractions the way it needed to so they hooked me to pitocin which certainly got things moving.

With the youngest I remember going to the hospital with my legs on the dashboard and in pain because I just hurt too badly to stay home anymore. But I don't remember being able to time my contractions, or having any idea how close I was to actually delivering.
With her my water never broke (at least not that I knew of), and unfortunately no one ever notice not until I was pushing and it splattered and sprayed all over the room because I pushed it half out nearly whole. Again I had to be hooked to pitocin because my body wouldn't produce the contractions necessary to get her out.

Since yesterday about 6 o'clock I have been in pain, not horrible, but fairly steady.
Last night it felt as though my back was breaking ( a shattered pop sickle stick is what I told "Daddy" lmao) and I have the cramps in my bell to accompany that, with shooting pains in my legs.
It seems to be worse when I am up and moving around but it does not go away when I am resting either.
However I got about 6 hours of sleep last night and the biggest break came from 2am - 8 am.
I hurt again this morning, but not as badly.
So could all that have been a braxton hicks spell?
I notice that the baby has moved this morning and is laying in a different position than lastnight, so could it be that the pain is lessoned because she isn't pushing on my spine.
I know it's not time to go to the hospital yet, but I'm unsure if this is real or just wishful thinking.

Last edited by Blyndfayth; June 16th, 2010 at 07:21 AM.
June 16th, 2010, 06:35 AM
I have been feel like she's getting closer because nesting has started, she has definitely dropped (yesterday before all the contractions started I had intense (almost painful) pressure). I haven't seen any "bloody show" but I have had A LOT more discharge.

Like I said, maybe it's just wishful thinking.
June 16th, 2010, 07:20 AM
hahaha, I may be the only who replies to this thread today, but it'll at least make me feel better to try to put some of it somewhere.

More information:

I have been attempting to narrow down the "contractions" from the over all aching of my back.
I don't know if my back is so achy because I overdid it, or if it's a "labor" thing.
But I was actually able to time a set of front cramps and they are about 12 to 15 minutes apart, now to see if they remain 12 to 15 or start to erratically jump around.
It started as crampy feeling and intensified until I had to blow out a breath because my belly was so hard.

Another thing I was wondering.
Has anyone experienced the contractions (or braxton hicks) angering the baby?

Although she has slowed significantly in the last few weeks when I start to get crampy and tighten it seems to make her angry and I can feel her "wiggling" in my crotch, not like a arm throw or a flip, but almost like she's grabbing at me with her tiny fingers.

The thing that worries me the most (I didn't have this with either one of my previous births) is that my blood platelet count is low. It was 107 a week ago and Monday when I went back it was down to 96. Which means no epidural, and if it continues to drop the doctors told me I was at risk of bleeding out.
Anyone deliver with the low platelet count and want to share the story?
June 16th, 2010, 08:24 AM
silverlife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would think that with your low platelets that your doctor will probably give you a shot of pitocin after the baby is born to prevent hemorrhage.

It sounds like you could be in early labor. If it isn't, hopefully it will let up so that you can have some restful sleep tonight!
June 16th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Good morning,

I am Christi and my due date is in 6 days. All the systems you have been experiencing is exactly what has been happening to me for over a week now. It becomes so painful that I think its time to go to the hospital and then things will start to calm down. The pressure is incredible bad and hurts like crazy. It scares me since when my water breaks my kids are born in like 20 min. My contractions never become consistent or move closer together. But the pain is still there.

Since you have 2 other children, I have 4! I found this great website describing a pre labor thing that might help you. If you put in the search prodromal labor, you will find a wealth of information that may explain some of the pain you are experiencing. I would of posted the link but since I am new as well and do not have 10 posts it will not let me. From everything I have read this situation happens to women who have multiple children. It describes a lot of what I have been going through, though it does not say how long it can last or when you will move into active labor. If your like me that is the information that I am looking for.

Sorry I did not catch your post till today or I would of responded to it. Sounds like we might be going through the same thing. I keep hoping my daughter will be born soon, but things go away. Yesterday was the first day that I did not have all the pains and had a good amount of energy. As a matter of fact, I got my whole house cleaned and all the landary done. LOL! They tell me its the calm before the storm.

I would love to talk to you some more and see what else we have in common. Maybe we can help each other through this terrible pain. LOL!
June 16th, 2010, 08:40 AM
I have a friend who had a low platelet count (they never gave her a number though) and they did hook her up to pitocin once she delivered to prevent hemorrhaging.

I am really hoping that since I cannot have the epidural I won't have to have the pitocin for the entire labor though.
Both of my labors where LOOOONG. I went into the hospital at 11:30ish PM with my oldest and had her the following night around 8PM.

With the youngest I went in and they admitted me, kept me overnight for observation. Sent me home the following afternoon, I went back in that night and had her the next morning at around 10 AM.

I don't want another 24 hour labor with pitocin and nothing to ease the pain... I'm a bit of wimp I suppose.
I admire women who do it naturally.

I read your post Christi! I tried to look up a little information on the "false labor" or prodormal labor you talked about. I didn't read much on it though. My mother was telling me about it as well, she said usually you have it a week before you actually deliver!
I sure do hope you get to go soon.. only 6 days left! That's much less than my 21 days to the "actual due date" !

I certainly hope that I don't have to do THIS for three more weeks though !

However these contractions aren't steady yet.
They've been varying in intensity and length, so I'm guessing braxton hicks or the false labor.
Sometimes I time them at 12 to 15 minutes sometimes it's takes more like 20. Sometimes they take my breath away and sometimes it's just a big pressure like cramp.

Hopefully this will get me effaced and dilated though.... I'm thinking sex tonight
June 16th, 2010, 08:48 AM
My contractions, pressure and discharge started last Monday. It continued from Monday till yesterday, and all day yesterday I was fine last night the pressure started again and your right it takes your breath away. My contractions are the same as yours, they never progress to much. I had 1 set that was 6 min apart, but most have been any where between 12 and 20 min apart. They suck and I have never experienced anything like this before with my other kids. I was induced with 2 of my kids and 2 my water broke and they were born 20 min later. So its really strange to me.

I have been going for walks around the block, hoping that it will move me to the next stage, but as of today nothing has happened. I hope my little one comes soon, cuz this pain is driving me nuts. SO I know exactly how you feel.

Sex did not work for me at all, sometimes it just made the pain worse and then it would go away after. When I go to sleep I seem to never have the pain and then when I awake it comes back in about an hour to 2 hours. Its really strange!
June 16th, 2010, 08:57 AM
The other thing I have experienced is peeing every 2 min or so. Sometimes I feel that I am going to pee my pants and go to the bathroom and nothing comes. I think that aspect alone is driving me nuts, I seem to spend more time in the bathroom than anything. It does not matter what I drink or don't drink it still happens.

With my 2nd son, I gave myself false labor due to the fact that I was not drinking enough water, so if you do not drink a lot of water, try increasing it, it may take the pain away. Cuz they say deyhdration can cause false labor. I have tried increasing mine and it does not take anything away.

I go to the doctors tomorrow so hopefully I will have more information about what is going on, I have not been checked at all, so I do not know if I am dilated or effacing at all. From the discharge I have I would say I am but I do not know. I have not had any bloody show either, just discharge.
June 16th, 2010, 09:01 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
hmmm, it definitely sounds like early/prodromal labor I would say get ta walking, orgasming, and anything else you wana do to get her out (breast pump, acupuncture, reflexology, etc).

as for needing Pit in previous labors, if they want to hook you up to pitocin ask for a hospital grade breast pump - pitocin is no good for several reasons and, especially with low platelet counts (because of not being able to get an epi if you wanted it), you want to try everything to avoid it first

good luck!! keep us posted on your progress!!!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
June 16th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Yeessssssssssssssssssss!!!

You and I are certainly experiencing the same things!
I pee every few minutes and when I pee the pressure is intense!
I really hate it because NOT only am I running to the bathroom every couple minute when I'm there I feel like the baby is hanging half out... lol!

I will try drinking extra water today and see if that helps ;P

My back pain is staying VERY steady, but the front cramps are erratic! Are you having the back pain as well?

Thanks ChicaChels

It's so nice to have other mommas to share stories and to commiserate with!
June 16th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Yes I have been having strong pains in my back, but they are sharp and then they subside and then the contractions will start again. I have never had back labor with any of my kids so it is strange for me
June 16th, 2010, 09:13 AM
I had back labor with the youngest, it was terrible.
Lastnight was like a flash back to being in labor with her..... it was like a burning hot knife in the back twisting and..... ouch.

Anyway... lol....

It's just achy today with intense flashes, I'm unsure if these intense moments are contractions or muscle spasms (in my back)
It's not as strong of a pain today but it's still there, as I said though she's moved so I'm wondering if that isn't what has given me a little comfort.

My cramps have subsided a little now, I think I'm going to walk around and keep cleaning up this house to see if I can keep them going... if it keeps up like this I'm hoping for a bloody show or a leaking water!

I am having the same thing as you, discharge. This may be borderline TMI but mine isn't super thick or yucky, it's just like every time I go to the bathroom there is a BIG spot in my unders where I am leaking (not waterish substance, just clear slim)
June 16th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Its not TMI, I have the same thing. Its never a lot just a few spots, and I keep thinking things will progress and it will become nasty but it has not in a week. I keep going to the restroom expecting to see a bloody show, but nothing.

My cramping has come back today as well, like I said yesterday was a really good day and I got a lot accomplished and had no problems. But today they are back but just annoying not supper intense or anything. As the day progresses though things might change. Doesn't suck to be in pain and know that things are not going any where? I would much rather be in active labor and have a new baby in my arms than keep having these so called false labor pains.
June 16th, 2010, 10:14 AM
I completely agree!
I'd rather be doing this now and have my baby by tomorrow even.. rather than do this for the next three weeks.. lol!

It's terribly annoying sometimes I can go about and do what I want to do, clean and fold my laundry... and other times I just sit there huffing and puffing because I hurt.

It's certainly been an experience. It's now gotten to the point where it's aching back with sometimes intense pain and a tightening of my stomach.
The cramping pain in the front isn't bad at all, it just gets tight and I have pain in my lower back and thighs.

It's frustrating because I know at this point it isn't progressing into labor, not yet anyway. Maybe if it continues for a day or two (hopefully anyway) but it isn't getting worse in a way that makes me think I might have a baby today. :[

I've got the time to wait, I wish my body would psyche me out like this.
I keep telling myself that certainly that this must mean I'm dilating though.

I can't remember if you said Christi have you started to dilate yet?
June 16th, 2010, 10:36 AM
I could not agree with you more. I have periods during the day where I can hardly move and function and my eyes are watering and I am extreme pain. Then other parts of the day its just a dull ache, and then the best part is no pain at all. Its so fustrating to have pain and not go anywhere. I am very anxious and very tired of being pregnant. With 6 days till my due date, I am ready to have my daughter. Are you having a boy or a girl?

I do not know if I am dilating or not, I go to the doctors tomorrow morning and I hope she will check me and I will have that answer. On the other hand, if I am not I will be extremely dissappointed because it means all the pain is for nothing. LOL!

Have you found the day moves by so slow cuz you are constantly timing contractions that are really painful? I find myself going through my day and keep looking at the clock to see if anything is going any where and of course its not. Then I go through the same cycle again and again, making the day go by even slower.

I have also found that taking a hot shower, subsides the pain for a couple of hours and helps me to relax, but it always starts up again after that couple of hours.
June 16th, 2010, 12:13 PM
It's almost completely GONE

After a day of feeling like poo, walking around cleaning up and HOPING that maybe I have hit the end stretch.. I am left with only mild lower back discomfort.

Ugh....

So frustrating! On the upper side, I got a bunch of laundry done, made an ice cream cake, vacuumed the carpets and got the area rugs taken up so I can mop

At least it's been a semi productive day.

The day has drug along with bouts of cramps and tightness in my stomach, lower back aching and wrenching... now almost nothing.... grrrrrrr..

Has anyone ever successfully checked their own dilation?
It scares me a little, every time the doctor checks me he goes, "oh yea you've got a high cervix" like it's his first time checking me. So I don't know if I could reach, and I don't know exactly what I'd be feeling for anyway.
They say it should feel like puckered up lips if it's dilated.... but if it's a couple cm dilated how do you know?
Wish my appointments were on Fridays not Mondays... lol
June 16th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Oh and it's a girl

Although I am not looking forward to having THREE TEENAGE GIRLS, I love my girlies and I'm glad this one is a girl as well
June 16th, 2010, 12:31 PM
WOW! That exactly what happen to me. It has not really come back for 2 days. I still have some mild pressure but nothing like I was experiencing before and I like you got a lot accomplished in the last 2 days. But many of my friends and family have told me its the calm before the storm. Meaning that burst of energy are a sign labor will be coming on soon. But so far nothing!

I have never checked my own dilation and frankly, I would not know what to look for and it would scare me too.

I have 3 boys and 1 daughter and 1 on the way. My daughters are my babies, so I will have 2 teenage girls around the same time. Not looking forward to that. My oldest is a teenager now and he is good, but so mouthy I can imagine what the girls will be like.
June 16th, 2010, 12:49 PM
From everything I've read on the prodromal labor what we're experience is normal with it.

I've read of woman who have gone on this way for weeks, until they felt they couldn't take anymore they were exhausted and their bodies were tired from constantly going through the contractions and pain.

AYE.... I don't want to feel like way every few days or every day for weeks
SCARY!

My fingers are crossed that even if I have to do this for a week she'll arrive by next week and I'll not have to worry about any of it!

(My youngest turns 4 next week too... so that's kind of exciting, as long as I'm not in the hospital for her b-day I'm happy )
June 16th, 2010, 01:06 PM
How funny, my middle son turns 12 today. I hoped and prayed all weekend and earlier this week that my new arrival would not be born on his bday. So far we have had no problems and I have no signs that she may come today. Which is a good thing, it would be a handful to have 2 bday on one day. My youngest son and my daughter's bday are 10 days apart, and thats enough for me.

I agree with you about prodromal labor its sounds like exactly what we are both going through. But having it last for weeks would be a bit much for me. A week of it was quite enough for me. I could not take any more, I am glad they kind of subsided for now, and I am getting some things done and some relaxation time. But I know they can come back at any min, so I better enjoy it while I can.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search