What was the best....

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 23rd, 2010, 01:47 PM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
...piece of advice you got about labor/delivery or best thing you learned in a childbirth class (if you went to one)?

------
Best advice I got, which came from our childbirth class instructor, was to be flexible with my expectations for my labor and be mentally prepared for the unexpected (which was key, since I had a lot of "unexpected" pop up).

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
June 24th, 2010, 04:34 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Best piece of advice was from my mother.

"People do this every day. What makes you think you can't?"

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

June 24th, 2010, 05:49 AM
silverlife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-SBB View Post
Best advice I got, which came from our childbirth class instructor, was to be flexible with my expectations for my labor and be mentally prepared for the unexpected (which was key, since I had a lot of "unexpected" pop up).
Similar to this.

You can't "plan" birth. Making a very detailed birth plan is a great way to wind up disappointed in the birth. If you must have a birth plan, choose one or two points that are very important to you and just have those.

I have to add to that: if you're going to a hospital where you think every single detail is vitally important to have written out, then maybe you ought to rethink using that hospital. The hospital really shouldn't be doing interventions that could be harmful but aren't necessary at that time--and if they do it typically (like breaking your water), they really should ask first and easily take "no" as an appropriate answer. If you feel you need to list a dozen things up front that you want or don't want and that you need to explicitly tell them this--chances are that you wouldn't enjoy any birth experience at that hospital.
June 28th, 2010, 10:43 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by New_England_Girl View Post
Best piece of advice was from my mother.

"People do this every day. What makes you think you can't?"
i remember saying something similar to DH as we went to the hospital - billions and billions of women throughout time have done this and survived (and heck some did it in a field without any help) so surely I can do it too, right?? But it is good advice, especially in those overwhelming moments when you don't think you can do it...

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
June 28th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Was to push like you have to pee really fast...

I did one push like I was bearing down for a bowel movement and it did nothing.. my next push I neared down like I had to pee fast i could feel a big difference. Three pushes after that my daughter was born...
June 29th, 2010, 12:57 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I honestly didn't seek advice very much. I didn't ask for it, and I pretty much disregarded anything anyone told me. The best advice I had was from myself "no one else has ever given birth with your body, so do what you need to do and to he-- with everyone else!"

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search