Back Labor

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 24th, 2010, 10:13 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Did you have back labor with your birth/births?
What did you do to relieve it?
I've heard that even an epidural often doesn't help back labor...what was your experience with that if you had one?

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

June 24th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I had back labor with my daughter--I only felt the contractions in my back. I didn't find it to be particularly bad. I tried draping myself over a birth ball at one point (partly to get her to turn from posterior, partly to see if it relieved my back), but it made the contractions hurt. At home I just laid on my side in bed, trying to rest. At the hospital I just sat in bed.
June 24th, 2010, 11:40 PM
4wildflowers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to 4wildflowers
I had back labor with my first ... 30 hours worth. It was awful. The contractions were nothing compared to the back pain. I got my epi in hour 18 and it didn't do a thing to relieve the back labor. My son was posterior, as well.

My kids.....
Jake 13
Shane 9
Brynne 6
Claire 4

June 25th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
My 3rd was posterior (with a nuchal hand too, yayness). Labor was 3 days of contx every 11 minutes on average and the 4th morning they were 7 minutes apart. I "enjoyed" leaning forward into the counter/table and rocking/swaying. The last 2 hours or so I had to have dh squeeze my hips with all his strength. I delivered squatting, and that helped SO MUCH!

No pain meds since it was at home unassisted.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
June 25th, 2010, 05:50 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Idk if I believe I've had back labor or not. My back has hurt in labor, but from the descriptions I've always heard I don't think I've had it, though I've had everything I ever hear of causing it...?

June 26th, 2010, 07:47 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had terrible back labor. I don't remember feeling the pain anywhere else. Sam pushed on my tailbone a lot when I was in labor, because I told him to in the early part of labor but that actually kind of made it worse as my labor progressed, but I was too busy trying to breathe to say anything. I also felt bad, but I really wanted my hips squeezed.

I tried sitting on the birth ball, that made me want to die.
I tried sitting in the rocking chair, which worked well until I was about 6cm, then not at all.
The toilet was a life saver - I probably spent 90% of my time there.
I also liked laying on my side in bed with my eyes shut and just ignoring everything around me.

No epi so I duno if it would have helped or not

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
June 28th, 2010, 10:48 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
i had horrible, horrible back labor...i never felt a contraction other than in my back and it felt like someone was pulling my spinal cord apart (or maybe that would have been less painful IDK LOL). I eventually broke down and got an epidural which completely relieved the pain, which is why i can't say i wouldn't get one again if I had back labor like that...I do however think the induction and use of cytotec may have contributed and/or made the pain much worse than it would have otherwise been.

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
June 28th, 2010, 02:55 PM
I had three days almost 4 of back labor. It was excruciating. No one told me about back labor and that was the worst part. At first i chose Demerol because I didn't want to slow the progress of my labor but then 3 hours later I couldn't take it anymore. Epi it was and it was the only thing that helped. I did have a hot shower at the hospital. They put a stool in the shower and I had the water on as hot as I could possibly tolerate it I sat in the shower for about 45 minutes. But it didn't last long.
July 4th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had it. And I actually didn't even associate it with labor at the time! It wasn't until I looked back on my labor that I realized I was in early labor. I had just been taken off of bedrest after laying on the couch for 2 1/2 months. So I seriously thought I threw my back out because I wasn't used to being mobile and I was huge from carrying twins.

It wasn't until my water broke that night that I put two and two together! During the day, I took a bath and I also flopped forward on the bed while DH dug his knuckles into my lower back.

Once I was in the hospital, the epi helped but the sensation was definitely still there. However, once my first baby girl was born, the pain went away! Neither one of them were posterior, but I think the pain came from laboring with two babies who weighed a combined 13 pounds...there was bound to be something pressing on my spine!!

July 7th, 2010, 12:57 PM
starryeyedme04's Avatar Jamie <3
Send a message via AIM to starryeyedme04 Send a message via Yahoo to starryeyedme04
I had it with both. I had an epi with jack and it was great! I had no pain. With Bella, i had back labor as well, but no time for the epi It sucked!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search