Epidural failure 3 times!?!?

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 26th, 2010, 11:41 AM
My first epidural worked flawlessly, then my 2nd only worked for 30 minutes then completely stopped working for the rest of my 92 hour labor (posterior) Then my 3rd for a c-section (baby was deceased due to triploidy and could not be delivered vaginally) only worked for a short period then I was in tremendous pain at the end of the surgery and after. Then 4th vaginal the epidural worked for 30 minutes then stopped completely again and never worked even with increased dosage. Each time the hospital staff just brushed it off and said I am out of luck basically and never had a explanation and would not call for the anesthesiologist. (each of these were at different hospitals/doctors.
What could be causing this? I am pregnant again and want to prevent this from happening again. I know how its supposed to work since it worked great for my first, and I would like for it to work like that again in the future! Please dont turn this into a all natural discussion.

Stephanie
June 27th, 2010, 09:21 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know very, very little about epidurals since I did plan a natural birth, but I think the best bet in this situation would be to talk to your doctor pre-delivery about this and have him agree to following your wishes, per say. If you say it's not working, then he must agree to call the anesthesiologist, kwim?

If you want an epidural, that is your right and your hospital's staff should work with you to make you as comfortable as possible! You are paying them a lot of money to just brush you off. Maybe you could meet with an anesthesiologist before hand and go over your history, and he can evaluate you make notes as to why he believes the subsequent epidurals were not working when your first one was a success. I'm not sure if that's even possible, but I know people with back problems who desire epidurals meet with an anesthesiologist prior to ensure they will in fact to be able to get an epidural.

That being said, I honestly don't know the answer to this, but can you get a spinal in place of an epidural for a vaginal delivery? That's probably a stupid question, but I don't know

Good luck and welcome to the board!!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search