what you know now

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 28th, 2010, 11:34 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
for btdt moms:

is there anything you would change now that you know what to expect? (for example, did you plan to go natural once and next time you're going straight for the epidural? Or did you plan on an epidural but not have time and plan to go natural) or anything of that nature?

for first time moms:
what are you nervous about? maybe our experiences can help you feel more at ease!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
June 28th, 2010, 11:55 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
is there anything you would change now that you know what to expect?

I wasn't enthusiastic about being induced, but after my induction experience I'll be much, much less likely to agree to induction unless there truly is no other option and even then I'd want to skip the cervical ripening agents. And never, ever allowing them to administer stadol...seriously, that drug sucks - didn't help the pain in the slightest and made the room spin non-stop for hours.

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
June 28th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I plan on homebirths from now on... I don't want a MEDwife I don't want an OB and I definitely don't want the epidural again...

If I do end up with a hospital birth again I know I will be staying MW right from the get go...
June 29th, 2010, 01:51 PM
I'll be eating much healthier (I didn't eat badly, I only gained 18lb) but I'll be eating to avoid pre-e. I would do a homebirth, except I absolutely adore my midwife and the hospital I deliver at. Also, due to where we live, no homebirht MW

I will be getting a doula, and having a birth photographer.

I am fairly happy with how things went as far as my birth, despite the emergency induction.

i would love to push the next one out in the water, which will happen as long as things go well Bry was supposed to be, but since I was on Magnesium for so long they wouldn't let me use the shower

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
July 6th, 2010, 01:14 PM
jessi0887's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would have not gotten induced with my first. I wanted to go natural without any drugs. Little did i know that induction makes it quite more painful.
July 7th, 2010, 01:53 PM
starryeyedme04's Avatar Jamie <3
Send a message via AIM to starryeyedme04 Send a message via Yahoo to starryeyedme04
i would've been armed with more info on what's happening during labor etc and ways to help cope with the pain. I did okay but i did get to the point where i just let myself become overwhelmed with the pain.

July 24th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I would have a photographer also. Pics of Stella's birth suck and I even had to yell at my mom and DH to grab the camera because it was just laying on the table!

I would try to naturally induce labor at 38 weeks. I am induced at 39 for medical reasons and I would really like to go into labor on my own.

And I will demand that they not put the IV in my hand, even if it means calling an IV nurse. I want my freaking IV in my arm, and I know it can be put there!

July 28th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Hopefully I don't ever need an IV again, but I agree, Liz..if I have to have one I definitely DONT want it in my wrist! I want it in my arm too.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
August 5th, 2010, 06:33 AM
MamaMandy's Avatar is it Spring yet??
I wish I had known the risks of a c/s better, the ones at the time AND the risk it carries down the road if you carry another child. I wish I had had a more open mind about my options, and not thought only the "perfect" at one with the universe earth mamas could pull those options off. I was definitely young & dumb...and overwhelemed, and scared!

The best advice I could give anyone is to come to boards like JM, or anywhere you can surround yourself with a diverse, large group of moms, then READ READ READ and ASK ASK ASK! We just don't know what we don't know, until someone lets us know! Kinda like when you are 16, you think you know it all & have it all figured out. Then you age, life whacks ya around a lil, and it's only once you realize you'll NEVER know it all that we truly have knowledge.

Children are not little adults, but they ARE people too!

There's a reason they are called dependents...

AP is not alternative to those who see no other choice

http://helpguide.org/mental/parentin...t_disorder.htm

August 5th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thinking about it I would definatly have stayed home longer then I did...
August 17th, 2010, 10:41 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
I wish I had asked for more time with the cervadil before starting pitocin. The fact that my cervix was completely unchanged after 12 hours of cervadil and irregular contractions was a warning sign that I ignored. I also wish that I had not let them exceed the original max dosage. The standard pit protocols at my hospital are to not exceed 20 (not sure what it's measured in??). When I got to 20, the pit wasn't having any measurable effect on my contrx so they authorized an increase to 30. I should NEVER have allowed that. All my problems started after the pitocin was at max (30) for a few hours. I wish I had said "no - if this isn't working let's go back to the cervadil and try again tomorrow." Or better yet, "Screw you guys, I'm going home."

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
August 18th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
With #1 I wouldn't have gone to my scheduled 38w appt or to the hospital after my appt when my water broke. I'd have quietly gone home with dh and had the baby there. Or I would have pressed the issue to check out the birth center.

With #2, I wouldn't have had my mother there. She was up visitting for 2 weeks.

With #3, nothing. It was awesome, all 4 days.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search