We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
My induction started with cytotec to "ripen" my cervix and eventually used Pitocin for the actual induction. I'll be perfectly honest that I will never consent to have cytotec used again...my own experience was that it caused incredibly intense/painful contraction but did almost nothing to further dilate me (i went in at 2 1/2 cm dilated...after 12 hours and 3 doses of cytotec I was only at 3cm). Ultimately I made almost no progress until the Pitocin was adminstered, and then I went from 3-4cm to pushing within 3 hours.
If a cervical ripening agent needs to be used I think there are safer ones (Cervadil, others?)...I'd just recommend you ask your Dr about the risks associated with Cytotec and why they're chosing to use that versus other ones so you're able to make a fully informed decision.
Good luck with your induction - I hope it goes smoothly & quickly for you!
Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
I am now 2 cm dilated and she is engaged... so I'm hoping that by my appointment on Friday I will be more dilated and/ or that the cervix will be ripened and ready to go.
As I said I've had the pitocin.
I know he talked a lot about oxytocin (he's hard to understand to be frank) which is essentially the same thing, I believe.
But I thought he was also talking about a pill form... the only thing I could figure that would be is the cyotek.
Are there others?
That's exactly it, I am comforted simply by knowing that if I NEED it it's an option.
I was scared to death thinking that maybe I'd be in horrible pain and have nothing available even if I really wanted it.
I would strongly advise against the use of cytotec. It is NOT FDA approved for induction. It is actually an ulcer medication that women aren't given during pregnancy because it carries so many risks. It is also used when inducing abortion. That being said, I had it (even though I wasn't going to consent, but for my personal situation going straight to pitocin probably would have been a very, very bad idea.
Since you are already 2cm dilated (do you know how effaced you are?) I personally would skip the cytotec. I would ask for a foley bulb and a breast pump
the other pill you could ask for (assuming your hospital has it available) is cervidil - it does the same thing as cytotec, but it can be removed if uterine hyperstimulation starts to occur (cytotec cannot be removed so if uterine hyperstimulation starts to occur you go straight for an ERCS)
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
He only said 2cm, nothing about effacement .... so I took that to mean that I wasn't effacing at all, only dilating!
Which may be why he was talking about using the suppository induction method.
I am guessing we will talk more about how, when, and whatnot when I go to the appointment on Friday.
I would like to be as knowledgeable as possible.
If something is BADDDDDD I want to know.
Cyotek doesn't sound very good.... I researched it a bit this afternoon and found that it was used for ulcers and abortions... :|
Doesn't seem great.
I know that my doctor likes oxytocin, and that's going to be his main plan of attack...
Which honestly would be OK with me.
I had to have pitocin with BOTH of my girls.... more as an augmentation than an induction.
But they had already told me I would probably need it again and may need it after birth because of the low platelet count anyway....
I'll have to look up cervidil and see what that is.. so if he wants to use a ripening agent... I'll at least be mildly prepared to ask for something other than cyotek.
I have lost two more big chunks of my mucus plug and YAY I'm 39 weeks TODAY!
I'm hoping that my cervix is cooperating and I won't have to worry about any induction.
He would like to induce, medically because of "hypertension" and as much as I would like to wait I know that he is the ONLY doctor available right now.
Mine went on vacay....
I would like to know that I have his full attention rather than him worry about his patients and leave me sit alone in my birthing room.
If he's scheduling me an induction he is scheduling me his time.
He commented on that when he began talking about induction as well....
Plus it's a great weekend since DH has 5 days off... starting tomorrow and ending tuesday (for the fourth)
So he won't have to miss time and money XD
For my daughter, I was induced. Everyone is different and you're going to have your own experience. Mine was not pleasant. Being induced brought on horrible contractions for me and unfortunatly... TWO epidurals did not work for me! I am 11 weeks pregnant now with my 2nd baby and I will NOT be induced, I dont care if im 2 weeks past my date LOL. Again, this was my experience. People have told me that natural contractions are not as excruciating as being induced because the medicine bring the contractions on. Now please, dont think this will affect you in any way... you may have a pleasant, pain free labor which i hope you do! Let us know how to goes!