Belly Dance and Natural Childbirth Advice?

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 1st, 2010, 02:20 PM
Iím 20 weeks pregnant with my first baby and I really want to have him without an epidural. Iím trying to do my research now to find good natural childbirth methods, so Iím posting here (and some other forums) for advice.

Last week I attended a friendís birth. She intended to use the Bradley method but she had back labor and ended up giving in and using the epidural. I donít think itís because Bradley isnít effective- it just didnít work for her.

On that front, I want to find something a little more ďproactiveĒ. Iím open to suggestions and Iím very interested in otherís experiences.

I found a DVD that Iím going to try called The Perfect Pregnancy Workout vol. 3 and it teaches belly dance technique for labor. Has anyone tried that or belly dance in general?

I read ďIna Mayís Guide to ChildbirthĒ which was good for planning and Iím also planning on starting perineal stretching in my third trimester.

Anything else I should be doing?

Thanks!!

-Miranda
July 1st, 2010, 05:35 PM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Many women on the Natural Childbirth board have had great success with Hypnobabies and Hypnobirthing (two separate techniques). I have not use either but if you Google those that might give you something to start with. There is also a book called "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" which comes highly recommended.

Personally, I didn't do anything. I read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, and I knew there was no way I was getting a needle stuck in my spine just to have a baby, but mostly I went in on a wing and a prayer. (Did fine, by the way, no epi)

Good luck to you, and I hope you stick around with us!
By the way, do you know the sex of the baby, or are you leaving it a surprise?

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

July 7th, 2010, 09:25 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did Bradley - and I had horrible, HORRIBLE back labor and an emergency induction due to HELLP disease - and I got through it just fine using only what I learned in my Bradley class, and being stubbron. I loved Bradley so much I am actually in the process of becoming an instructor. I love the involvement of family Bradley promotes, as well as what you learn about every stage of labor when you're in the class.

Have you thought about a doula? I did not have one, and I already have one picked out for my next pregnancy. My husband did awesome, but he needed more support and a break, and to be perfectly honest there were times where I just did NOT respond to him, but I was absolutely responsive to my midwife and nurse. I think it's the spouse thing

Are you seeing a midwife or an OB? What is your place of delivery? (Home, hospital, birth center?) All of these can have a big impact on what happens. If you're going to an OB at a hospital, what is his c-section rate? What is the hospital policy on starting pitocin? When do they start talking induction? Do they allow you to be off the monitors when you're in labor and only do intermittent monitoring? do they have things available to help you cope with the pain OTHER than drugs?

As far as your question about belly dancing, I personally know nothing about it. Dancing was the last thing on my mind when I was in labor, but I bet in retrospect it would work awesome. It would keep your hips moving and help move baby down and out!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
July 18th, 2010, 11:01 AM
I didn't know belly dancing helped pave the way for easy labor and childbirth. Before I got pregnant with my eldest, my doctor told me I would have difficulties getting pregnant because of an inverted uterus. As predicted, I didn't get pregnant for a year even without contraception. And then I started taking belling dancing lessons just for fun. And a few weeks after, I got pregnant! I think and believe that belly dancing, with all the shaking and the shimmying, helped position my uterus correctly.

Last edited by Believe_it; August 9th, 2010 at 05:11 AM.

Tags
belly dance , delivery , drug-free , labor , natural childbirth

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search