What was available to you?

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 4th, 2010, 10:52 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
To help you manage your labor pain?

(drugs, rocking chairs, tubs, etc?)

what did you love? What did you hate?

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
July 5th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I know they have epidurals (used with my son, not with my daughter). I'm assuming they have various IV drugs, too (didn't get this with either, so I don't know what they specifically have). They have a birth ball (which I didn't like). They had aromatherapy (which I turned down when it was offered). I know they have several other options, but I didn't need anything, so I didn't ask what was available.
July 6th, 2010, 12:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I had tub, shower, chairs, toliet, meds, birthing ball...

I hated the birthing ball... I loved the toliet and using the bed and DH to lean on to rock my hips... I got an epidural but it wasn't for pain relief, I still had just as much pain with it as I did without it but it did the trick to relax my body enough to dilate... so meds don't always help with relief I got more relief sitting on. The toliet
July 6th, 2010, 02:20 AM
~Allison~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I used drugs (epidural) and a rocking chair. I know they also had a birthing ball available, but I chose not to use it. I loved my epidural, and hated the rocking chair. It was absolutely impossible for me to get any pain relief from it. I thought it was super uncomfortable, too.

July 6th, 2010, 08:56 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
nothing but drugs, but I think that was in part because of the induction and some complications that occured during labor...I wasn't allowed to move at all except briefly to use restroom for the 12 hours administering the cytotec and throughout I was on both IVs and multiple monitors, so no walking the halls, birthing balls, showers/tubs, etc.

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
July 6th, 2010, 06:51 PM
I used like everything except the shower (which I wanted to soo badly but the stupid OB monitoring my Mag wouldn't let me ) I used the rocking chair quite a bit in early labor but once I was in full blown labor I lived on the toilet. I used (and hated) the birthing ball. I tried the squatting bar but my legs were too tired to do it...I liked laying on my right side in bed too with someone pushing on my left hip...i liked walking in circles a lot too

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
July 6th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
what I used/liked was different with each birth.

My first I had anything I wanted available to me including medicinal pain relievers. I used a jetted tub and touch

my second, no meds available. just used water, no jets, no touching

third, no meds available, used water, birth ball, touch, massage, and sound

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

July 6th, 2010, 07:44 PM
starryeyedme04's Avatar Jamie <3
Send a message via AIM to starryeyedme04 Send a message via Yahoo to starryeyedme04
i had an epi with my son. i had pre-e and wasnt allowed to do anything other than lie in bed.

With bella, it happened so fast that they didnt offer me anything and i did keep begging for the epi but i went too fast. I saw they had a birthing ball in the shower but they didnt offer it to me.

Next time i would really like to be armed with more info on how to cope with labor and back labor pains. I was not armed with info bc i didnt really honestly expect to only have a 2 1/2 hr labor haha.

July 6th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicaChels View Post
I tried the squatting bar but my legs were too tired to do it
When I felt the urge to squat, but was way too tired to do it on my own or with a bar, the nurse lowered the foot of the bed so that I could sit on the bed with my feet supported (on the foot) in a squat position. I'm pretty sure the urge to squat for me was because I was ready to push. Right after I got into that, my body started pushing on its own. So if you (or anyone) is in a hospital and feel like squatting helps but you don't have the energy to do it, ask the nurse if she can adjust the bed for you.
July 7th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Available in my l&d room I had a birthing ball, CD player with some relaxation CDs provided. Don't know what it's called, but its like a knotted sheet rope that hangs from the ceiling. The only thing I used was the birthing ball.

And then in the next room there was a jetted tub with relaxation music and aromatherapy. I used the tub for over an hour. Also, received an epidural later on.
7 lbs 6 oz, 21 inches
July 7th, 2010, 09:17 AM
When I was in transition I did beg for Stadol - which is weird to me because I have no desire to get narcotics, but my nurse did go to get it. I told her to hold off until my next cervical check before giving it to me though - and I never got it.

I did kind of semi squat next to the bed, but my legs were just too weak from the magnesium + 19 hours of active labor.

I also just remembered I did a ton of hands and knees and this modiified hands and knees position while hugging the top fo my bed, and hip rocks (which actually are what finally made her come out after being stalled at 6cm for 9 hours)

starryeyed, why were you forced to stay in bed with pre-e? I had an ER induction for HELLP and was pretty much allowed to do whatever I wanted other than use hydrotheraphy? That's very interesting to me

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
July 7th, 2010, 01:50 PM
starryeyedme04's Avatar Jamie <3
Send a message via AIM to starryeyedme04 Send a message via Yahoo to starryeyedme04
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicaChels View Post
When I was in transition I did beg for Stadol - which is weird to me because I have no desire to get narcotics, but my nurse did go to get it. I told her to hold off until my next cervical check before giving it to me though - and I never got it.

I did kind of semi squat next to the bed, but my legs were just too weak from the magnesium + 19 hours of active labor.

I also just remembered I did a ton of hands and knees and this modiified hands and knees position while hugging the top fo my bed, and hip rocks (which actually are what finally made her come out after being stalled at 6cm for 9 hours)

starryeyed, why were you forced to stay in bed with pre-e? I had an ER induction for HELLP and was pretty much allowed to do whatever I wanted other than use hydrotheraphy? That's very interesting to me
I'm guessing bc of the magnesium, as a precautionary thing? I also wasn't allowed to have my son with me alone. I had to have someone in there with me at all times.

July 24th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I know the ball was available, but other than that I have no idea. I planned on having an epi and that is what I got!

July 24th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Corrupt's Avatar Happy Mama
I specified in my birth plan that I did not want to be offered drugs at all during labour.
They didn't have a squatting bar and no ball, to my knowledge.
There were several chairs in the room. I tried sitting through one contraction...that was enough for me. The only time I spent on the toilet was to pee...and that was enough too lol.
My MW put the head of the bed up as far as it would go and I would drape my upper body over that through contractions - that got me through most of transition. I also spent a great deal of time in the jet tub. Before things got really intense it slowed my contractions just enough to let me nap in between. I spent the rest of the time walking and bracing on walls, chairs and Hubby.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search