High's and Low's

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 1st, 2010, 09:27 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What was the highest point of your L&D experience? (Emotionally)

what was the lowest point?

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
August 1st, 2010, 10:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I had a couple high points in my L&D... I got to deliver vaginally, I experienced the "ring of fire", and me laboring for 14 hours on maxed out Pit without pains meds...

My lowest point was when I consented to the epidural because I had stalled for so long... I need to keep looking on the positive side of getting the epi kept me out of a c-section...
August 2nd, 2010, 11:17 AM
I also have a couple of really, really high points

The first was when my husband locked me in the bathroom because my day nurse kept trying to get me to stay in bed...the second was when my midwife yelled at an OB who was pressuring me to get an epidural and the biggest of all was when I felt Brylie drop and I got to start pushing and reaching down and feeling her head as she crowned that was the single most defining moment of my life. The whole experience was a big high since I didn't get an epidural/pain meds, even though I was just minutes away from getting Stadol....transition sucked, but the ultimate high was feeling her head coming out of my body. Absolutely amazing.

I also had a LOT of very, very low points.
A big one was when my midwife called down and told the OR to be on standby, because if in a few minutes Brylie's HR didn't come up from the 50's we would have to do a c-section. (I guess a high could be when it came back up? but I was too out of it to care)
Another low was when I started hallucinating, begging for a c-section, begging for my mom (she died when I was 17)...but the lowest of the lows was when she was born...that sounds terrible, but she was born dead essentially..and at that moment, I completely detached myself from her. I was terrified, but I am ashamed at how I felt.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
August 2nd, 2010, 02:17 PM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
hrmm the only two high points (but they were awesome) was when they told me I could start pushing if I wanted to (my Dr felt i'd be a long time pushing) and then in 3 pushes she was ready to be born and the nurses were begging me to stop pushing because they had to go run and find my Dr. The highest point was when she was actually born and I saw her for the 1st time

The lowest points were when i consented (sort of) to stadol (ughh never ever again, ever) when I hadn't progressed in like 8 hours or something awful. Other really low point, or at least scary point, was when Savannah's heart rate kept plunging with the contractions and rather than actually talk to me about what was going on (I believe b/c my BP was climbing so they were trying to avoid scaring/stressing me) nurses kept running in to roll me side to side constantly and I was fairly convinced since at this point I was still not progressing that it would all end in the c-section I was trying so hard to avoid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicaChels View Post
but the lowest of the lows was when she was born...that sounds terrible, but she was born dead essentially..and at that moment, I completely detached myself from her. I was terrified, but I am ashamed at how I felt.
HUGE HUGS - that sounds utterly terrifying after everything you had been through and thank goodness she was ok! I remember I was so worried about Savannah (because of all the heart rate scares during labor) that when she was born and she didn't cry and I remember asking "is she ok? is she ok?" because they were checking her out and I was so scared something had happened to her despite the monitoring.

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
August 2nd, 2010, 02:47 PM
I love your new siggy

Brylie had dangerously low decels in labor, and when I was pushing her HR dropped into the 20's and my midwife made me push without a contraction to get her out. It was surreal - my MW never lost her cool, but I could see the panic in her eyes...and Sam was white as a ghost and my nurse reached over my head and slapped the blue button I totally didn't want slapped - NICU with crash cart. One nurse came running in and opened up the "Transition" room (its like a mini nicu to stabalize) and with the final push, this perfectly orchestrated team of nurses and doctors came walking in with all this...crap in their hands. Monitors, Blankets, a crash cart was wheeled in with the first doctor...it was crazy. I have this thing about losing people i love: I don't deal with it. When it all happened I really just totally, 110% detached myself from Brylie. I cared, of course, but I didn't care if that makes sense. I mean it sounds so horrible when I say it out loud..I asked once if she was okay and no one answered me so I figured she was dead. I then started talking to my midwife about the placenta. It was pretty bad Lowest of the lows, no doubt

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
August 3rd, 2010, 11:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
With my son the high was probably when I got to catch him and pull him up to me.

The low was probably when the EFM kept showing decelerations during contractions and the alarms kept going off. I was so afraid that a team of doctors and nurses would barge in and wheel me off to the OR with no time for questions or explanations. They instead put an internal monitor in and it showed that he was fine (the decelerations were from him turning with the contractions and the monitor would loose his heartbeat).

With my daughter, I can't think of any point that would be a "high point". I did it without drugs--but it's not like I really had my heart set on it, so it didn't feel triumphant or anything. Maybe that when I told my husband it was time to go to the hospital, I was figuring I was about 7cm and when we got there and I was checked, I was told I was a 6 or 7. It felt nice to know that I had estimated so well.

For a low, the first one was probably when I had them break my water so that I could get to pushing quicker and there was thick meconium--it meant that I wouldn't be allowed to catch her. The major low point was when she was born with an APGAR of zero--my first sight of her was of her grey, limp, and being resuscitated by the NICU nurses. Then they had to take her away to the NICU. I sent my husband with. So I was left alone in the room to be stitched up. I hated being stitched up without getting to hold my baby--it made me focus on the pulling and tugging so much more. With my son I didn't even notice being stitched because I was holding him.
August 3rd, 2010, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlife View Post

With my daughter, I can't think of any point that would be a "high point". I did it without drugs--but it's not like I really had my heart set on it, so it didn't feel triumphant or anything. Maybe that when I told my husband it was time to go to the hospital, I was figuring I was about 7cm and when we got there and I was checked, I was told I was a 6 or 7. It felt nice to know that I had estimated so well.

For a low, the first one was probably when I had them break my water so that I could get to pushing quicker and there was thick meconium--it meant that I wouldn't be allowed to catch her. The major low point was when she was born with an APGAR of zero--my first sight of her was of her grey, limp, and being resuscitated by the NICU nurses. Then they had to take her away to the NICU. I sent my husband with. So I was left alone in the room to be stitched up. I hated being stitched up without getting to hold my baby--it made me focus on the pulling and tugging so much more. With my son I didn't even notice being stitched because I was holding him.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
August 4th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Amanda_Marie's Avatar Mommy to Owen
I guess a high point for me was after I got over the fact that I was being induced, just the thought of knowing I was going to finally be meeting my baby boy. Also when all my family arrived to visit me made me feel so happy and loved

Holding Owen for the first time as well was one of the most miraculous feelings I ever experienced.

There's lots of low points about my experience.

1. Being induced early because of high BP
2. The Dr/nurses not believing me when I was in pain and not checking me
3. Sitting on the toliet in pain, thinking I had to go to the bathroom but all along I was 10cm dialated and pushing...YES ON THE TOLIET ...and Owen's heart rate dropped.
4. An intern checking me and then telling me I was even dialted a CM and then having Owen literally 10 minutes later. He came out so fast the Dr barely had time to put gloves on...my MIL ended up getting gloves for her

Thank you Tasha_Mae for my beautiful siggy!
August 18th, 2010, 08:51 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
I had to really wrack my brain for a high bc my entire birth experience was the worst thing I've ever been thru in my entire life. It has taken me a full year to really recover from.

But here's what I got:

*when my midwife came in and announced that she had brought my lunch (and she was bearing a cup of coca-cola), the head nurse (who I didn't care for) said "she can't have that" and my midwife said "have what?" as she handed me the cup and i downed it. I needed caffeine and we had agreed prior to the birth that they wouldn't cut me off from my drug of choice. I wanted to hug her bc I felt like she cared more about ME than the hospital's rules.
*when my midwife came in to check on me and i was doing my labor yoga and listening to music, she walked in and was talking to me as she checked the EFM read out and goes "holy sh**, you're having a contrx!" and I said "um, yeah, I think that's what is supposed to happen!" and she said she couldn't even tell bc I was managing them so well. That made me feel pretty good.
*when the L&D nurses told my DH that they were really impressed with how well I handled contrx and that I was "born to make babies" - also made me feel good
*when my membranes ruptured on their own bc I was happy SOMETHING happened on its own

Lows:
The entire thing was a low. But I would say the worst was lying on the cold operating table with all the blinding lights unable to really move and my DH wasn't there and I was stark naked from the chest down and they were all getting ready to operate as though I wasn't even alive. Nobody talked to me except my anesthesiologist. I know now it's bc they were all kinda freaking out that they weren't going to get the baby out in time, but at that moment it made me feel like I was being punished for not being able to give birth. It was pretty awful.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search