Postpartum bleeding,how long and how much?

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 13th, 2010, 05:28 PM
missmich
I know the answer will be different for everyone but is there anyway to know how long this will last or if it will be heavy or not? Is there a way have less bleeding for a shorter time?

I'm so worried about not having enough pads and also becoming anemic.

I don't have much money for a whole ton of maxi pads and all the baby stuff I need as well. That's why I'm afraid of not having enough pads,especially during the first 2 weeks or so. If I do run out I'd have to wait for my check. So far I think I have about 3 days worth of pads. I got 3 different brands but they are all for heavy flow.

I was on the pill for a while over a year ago and it gave me my period for 3 weeks! It sucked! Luckily it wasn't that heavy though and I didn't become anemic. I'm going to take some extra iron pills starting now to try and avoid any anemia.
August 13th, 2010, 10:43 PM
6 weeks. if you stay off your feet it will be better, if your bleeding picks up it means you're doing too much.
August 13th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
3.5 wks thereabouts. Very heavy for the first 2 weeks. At the hospital, they kept an industrial pack of massive maxi pads in the bathroom that I took home when I left. I didn't end up needing to buy any.

I was also given Arnica tablets to help with the bleeding, which is a natural herb. I checked and it is sold cheaply over the counter. Honestly, not sure if it helped or not.

You might look into making or buying reusable cloth maxi pads too. I haven't done it myself, but I imagine it saves a lot of money in the long run.
7 lbs 6 oz, 21 inches
August 14th, 2010, 03:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It was 6 weeks exactly for me... the first week was the worse for me...

I was able to snag three packages of the hospital pads, just ask the nurses, or if you have some extra cash now buy some Momma Cloth... as for anemia as long as you keep taking your prenatals and eat healthy you'll be fine just keep on the fluids and dark green veggies...
August 14th, 2010, 07:53 AM
~Allison~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had my PP bleeding for about 3.5 weeks. It started out very heavy (obviously), and then every few days, I could tell that it was getting lighter & lighter.

As for having enough pads, just ask the nurses at the hospital for extra ones.

August 14th, 2010, 11:23 AM
missmich
Thanks for all the suggestions,some won't work for me though. My hospital does NOT provide any maxi pads for me or even diapers for the baby! Isn't that dumb? I assumed they'd provide some of the special OB pads that I've seen on the net for after you have a baby,they don't though. My doula told me that if I show up at the hospital with none then of course they will provide some,so we'll see I guess.

I'd love to buy some Mama Cloth,though I've never used them before. They are expensive at first and I only know where to get them online and I have about 3-4 weeks to get them. I won't have money by that time. I also don't have my own washer and dryer (coin op in the basement) so laundry would need to done daily/every few days if I want to keep using them I guess. I was hoping to avoid laundry during the first 2 weeks so I don't have to lug the baby with me and go up and down the stairs. I have no one to help me.... at all.

I'm paid on the 1st of each month and most of that is gone as soon as the check clears and and there's nothing that I can take money from to use for Mama Cloth. I'll try and get some from the food bank if they have any extra there and then a couple more packs I guess when I'm paid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by **jessie** View Post

I was also given Arnica tablets to help with the bleeding, which is a natural herb. I checked and it is sold cheaply over the counter. Honestly, not sure if it helped or not.

I'll look into the Arnica and see if my doc can write a rx for it,that way I don't have to pay the tax on it and it does become a little cheaper.

Where in Germany are you? I spent about a year there as an au pair and loved it!
August 15th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
For me it was about 3-4 weeks, with very little spotting after that.

Stock up on pads in the hospital. I kept stashing them away and telling the nurses that I needed more! I came home with a ton!

August 16th, 2010, 01:59 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm shocked that your hospital doesn't provide dipaers or pads! that's crazy! Are you certain they don't? Most do because they slap a disposable dipe on the baby as soon as their weighed pretty much. I've never heard of them not providing that stuff!

I bled for 17 days. About 6 days of somewhat heavy bleeding, the rest of it was very light. I had spotting for about 3-4 days after the bleeding stopped.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
August 16th, 2010, 04:32 PM

Yeah, I find it hard to believe that your hospital doesn't provide pads for your, or diapers for the baby. Yet, your doula told you that if you didn't bring any, they'd provide you with some. So obviously they must provide them.

August 17th, 2010, 08:17 AM
missmich
Yeah I assumed they'd provide them as well. The packing list for the hospital said to pack them and there was a note that said * the hospital does NOT provide them so bring your own,15 per day (for the pads). They probably do provide the first diaper for the baby. I'll bring my own b/c I'm scared they will say no,they don't have any and then make me buy them at the gift shop for 3x the price at the pharmacy!
August 17th, 2010, 11:31 AM
I totally don't think it would take 15 pads a day. I think maybe 3-6 at the most. And if you don't take them, the hospital im sure would have some. I don't think our hospital's gift shop even sells diapers...rattles and annoying toys, for sure, but I don't think they have diapers.
I would maybe take a hospital tour (again, if you've done so already) and ask all of these things. Most hospitals provide basic wipes, diapers, peri bottles, that spray pain stuff..can't think of what it's called now, soap for the baby, a hat, receiving blankets, freezable pads (feels great!) regular pads, and other "basic" necessities.

Are you on medicare or anything like that? WIC? You can probably get assistance with these items through a state funded program as well. (Not sure what the canadian equivalent would be, but i'm sure something)

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
August 17th, 2010, 03:03 PM
missmich
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicaChels View Post
I totally don't think it would take 15 pads a day. I think maybe 3-6 at the most. And if you don't take them, the hospital im sure would have some. I don't think our hospital's gift shop even sells diapers...rattles and annoying toys, for sure, but I don't think they have diapers.
I would maybe take a hospital tour (again, if you've done so already) and ask all of these things. Most hospitals provide basic wipes, diapers, peri bottles, that spray pain stuff..can't think of what it's called now, soap for the baby, a hat, receiving blankets, freezable pads (feels great!) regular pads, and other "basic" necessities.

Are you on medicare or anything like that? WIC? You can probably get assistance with these items through a state funded program as well. (Not sure what the canadian equivalent would be, but i'm sure something)
I took the tour,it was in French b/c I missed the English one but a friend translated for me. I didn't ask about the pads,but it was very clear on the packing list they gave me that they do not provide ANY pads at all and they suggested I have about 15 per day. I also noticed they did sell maxi pads at the gift shop neat the maternity ward.

I'm on welfare and they don't give any extra for anything,not even a car seat. Ok,well they do give me an extra $55 a month for extra food and that's what I've been spending it on. I asked the social worker at the health clinic if they can help with money for my "postpartum" kit and they look at me like I'm crazy for asking for this. They're like "what's that?". So I explain maxi pads,Tucks,stool softener etc... you know stuff I may need after I give birth. They said they don't think they can help with that.
August 17th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Yeah, you definitely don't need 15 pads a day! The day I had Aaden, I used 4 pads, I think. And that was from right after delivery (around 1:30 p.m.) until I got dressed for bed, at 11:30 p.m. So if I went through 4 pads in 10 hours, I'm pretty sure having 3-6 pads a day would be fine.

If I were you, I'd call the hospital's labor & delivery floor and ask a nurse what they provide for you and the baby.

August 17th, 2010, 05:14 PM
missmich
I have the packing list though that they gave me. I know that all they will do is to tell me to look at the list again. Talking to them over the phone is very frustrating! I've called before to ask some simple questions and to ask if they had a website and I got no where with them. I don't know if it was a language barrier or what,even though woman I spoke with did speak English as her 2nd language.

The list also said to bring baby wash etc... as well since they don't provide this either. Though during the tour I did see a few small bottles of J&J body wash for babies. So maybe they do just in case we forget or whatever.

The list was clear about what they don't provide but not about what they do provide. I sent my doula a list of questions and included some about what they do have for me. I'm not sure if she'll have the answers though.
August 17th, 2010, 08:43 PM
are you a member of a church? I would think at this point, if you can't afford this stuff, you might need the help of an organization. Do you have a carseat?

My midwife gave me an RX for doucalex (stool softener) and the hospital provided everything else. I would just call and say you didn't get a packing list, you don't have to tell them who you are. Tell them you are the mother/doula/friend of a pregnant woman and trying to help her get her stuff around. If they say "You need to bring your own pads" ask if they do in fact have them. They might just tell people to bring them to save the hospital that expense, but I am willing to bet they do have them.

Ask about a peri bottle too, because you're going to want something to help clean yourself down there.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
August 18th, 2010, 12:39 AM
missmich
I have a very hard time talking to them on the phone. First of of it costs me money to call on my cell and then I worry. I do ask that they call me back and they don't seem to understand why,though I do explain. Second of all the language barrier,even if they do speak English it's still hard. I've tried to get info from them over the phone twice before now and it leaves me more frustrated then before I called. I meet with a social worker tomorrow (well today) and maybe I'll ask her to call them with my questions and she can get me the answers.

I don't have a car seat and they neither lend or give them at the hospital. I do have one from an agency where I see my nutritionist that I will borrow for about a month. I don't have a car so I'm not sure if I'll be buying one after that or not.

I don't belong to a church,but have reached out to a pregnancy crisis center and a place called Birthright. The crisis center makes me so angry!!! The woman has one client,me and she can never make time for me. She said she'd get me some maternity clothes,baby clothes,crib etc... and she didn't. All she gave me was a changing pad that sits on top of the dresser. I had to toss it though since it was full of mold!!! I do call and ask if I can stop in sometime during the week for baby clothes and she always says no she's busy. I asked about maxi pads and she advised me to get the generic brand,but she didn't have any for me. Birthright gave me some nice mat clothes and they have some baby clothes for me,but I can't get myself there to pick them up now. Actually the woman called me and asked if I still wanted the layette they put together for me and she acted like I didn't want it b/c it was ready last week and I didn't get it. I was so upset after and I have to call back tomorrow to see what the options are to get it or have it dropped off at my house. I'm really having a hard time going out alone right now b/c I feel sick and I'm afraid I may faint or something and then be alone out there and have a hard time getting back home on my own with a bunch of baby clothes. I'll ask them for diapers and see if they have maxi pads as well. I don't know besides the clothes they haven't been much help in the way of emotional support for me.

I can ask my doc for an rx for some stool softener,but I'm not sure she'll give me one or just advise an OTC one. If she did that then she can still write the rx but I'd have to pay,just not the tax for it. She really isn't that helpful you know and she hasn't explained anything that happens during birth. I'm pretty disappointed that she hasn't told me more.
August 18th, 2010, 08:26 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
Oh hun It sounds like you're having a really tough time. I agree with Chels that you need to contact a local church and ask for help. The women who attend that church probably have enough pads and peri bottles and half empty baby wash just laying around their homes to outfit you without any expense to them.

I would also recommend looking into Bummis Cloth Diapers - they are Canadian and do some donations or discounted programs for needy families. Here's a link to their site with info: Community - Cloth Diapers - Bummis

Here's some info on washing diapers (or mama cloth) in your sink:
Handwashing Cloth Diapers- Washing Cloth Diapers by Hand

This is where I purchase my mama cloth pads bc they are well made and cheaper than others I've seen:
Products & Prices - GEM Cloth - Pads, Diapers & Family Reusables

You might also wanna try Personal Care Items - Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com where you can often buy used or new (but previously owned) pads. Just be careful with that link as they have been having virus issues lately. If you're not using a MAC make sure your virus protection is up to date.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
August 18th, 2010, 04:09 PM
missmich
Thanks for the links! I actually have prescription for cloth diapers at Bummis! Weird I know to get an rx for diapers! lol I was told if I got one they'd give me some free diapers. So I just have to get myself down there and see what they can help me with. Also my friend just sent me about 4 cloth diapers in the mail.

I did have some luck today! The government sent me 2 checks today and I spent them on a few extra groceries and some maxi pads and some Tucks! lol Tomorrow I'll check out diapers at Zellers and see what they have on sale. I was going to get a stool softener but the pharmacist told me to ask the doc at the hospital and they will write me an rx then so I don't have to pay for it. So that will save me a few $.

I talked with the social worker today and she can for sure give me taxi voucher to get TO the hospital when I go into labor. So that's a lot of stress of of me. I wasn't sure if my doula can drive me and I don't want to call an ambulance since they will bill me $140 after. I now have an extra $20 to save for the cab home if I need it.

I'm curious as to what brand of pads or what type you all used to only need 3-4 a day. I have a few different brands that were on sale.
August 18th, 2010, 06:01 PM
I think I used Always brand, and I'm about 99% sure they were the overnight pads. It's been 2 years, so I don't remember.

August 18th, 2010, 06:33 PM
missmich
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Allison~ View Post
I think I used Always brand, and I'm about 99% sure they were the overnight pads. It's been 2 years, so I don't remember.
Ok,I also bought some Always overnights with wings. They are HUGE! As long as my arm pretty much! I figure I'll use those ones during the first few days.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search