What is YOUR birth plan?

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 17th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Hi!

I'm very curious about what's your birth plan!

come on tell me
August 17th, 2010, 10:34 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
Well my last birth didn't go how I wanted it AT ALL, so here's my new plan (a little unconventional) for the next baby:

1) I plan to fudge my LMP so that by the time I hit my hospital's arbitrary 42 week deadline, I will actually be 43 weeks -- so this basically amounts to "I want to go into labor on my OWN"

2) No IV and no heplock unless medically necessary.

3) I labor in my own clothes. If I get to give birth vaginally, I do that in my own clothes too. I HATE hospital gowns. If I have a repeat c/s, then I will grudgingly agree to the gown.

4) I want my birth support partners (husband, friends, midwife, nurses, etc.) to suggest pain coping mechanisms with authority. When I was in labor and in pain, I found it incredibly difficult to make decisions. I hated it when they would say "would you like to sit on your ball? Or maybe get back in the tub?" This time I want them to say "let's get on the ball now." And if that doesn't work, then say "We're gonna get in the tub." Don't make me do all the work AND make all the decisions! If I wanted that, I would pursue UC.

5) I want a small electrical fan for the labor tub. To get pain relief (and it was amazing btw), I needed the water very very hot. So within 10-15 min, I was sweating and feeling ill from the heat. Next time I want a cooling fan blowing on my face and icy cold water to drink while I'm in the tub.

6) If I start to feel out of control and completely overwhelmed by the pain, I will try different coping mechanisms for an hour. One hour should be plenty of time to see if cervical dilation is going to progress at a rate that would make me able to continue coping with the pain. If I'm not dilated enough or haven't found enough relief at the end of one hour, I want the epidural. With my induction, I was having 5-6 min contractions with 30 seconds of relief in between them for over 5 hours before I had the epi. By then I was DONE. My entire body was just wrecked and exhausted and I didn't have the energy to lift my head much less participate actively on my dd's birth. Next time I'm not letting it get that far if - God forbid - I should have another irregular contrx pattern (though they've assured me that was from the pit and wouldn't happen with a normal labor).

7) I still plan to refuse newborn eye ointment, but will allow everything else.

8) I want to breastfeed right away.

9) I want dogcare, childcare, and visiting hours worked out BEFORE hand. I'm also going to take my Itzbeen timer with me so that it will ring when the baby needs to nurse and my prudish inlaws will leave without me having to throw them out so I can feed my baby.

10) If they're still there, I know which nurses I want assigned to my room so I will request them.

If I were to have another c/s:
11) I want ALL adhesives and betadine washed off my body before I leave the OR bc they itch like crazy and you can't shower until you can stand up and walk which is at least 24 hours later for most people.

12) I would like to know if the anesthesiologist can avoid whatever medication made my arms too heavy to move.

13) I do NOT want duramorph for pain relief as I am allergic to it and it caused me to itch all over uncontrollably to the point that I had to be sedated for the first 12 hours of my dd's life.

14) I want the drape as low as possible during the surgery.

15) I want to know if my husband can NOT wear a mask. If he doesn't enter the sterile field anyway, I'm not sure why it's necessary. I don't have to wear a mask - so why does he? I would like to be able to see his FACE when our child enters the world.

16) I want someone with me in the recovery room.

I use a midwifery practice so a lot of the stuff you see on a birth plan about forceps and vacuums and episiotomies they don't do anyway. So that would be it.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
August 17th, 2010, 11:50 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My formal birth plan is on DH's computer

but

1. no cervical checks prior to thinking Im in labor, and then only checks when I get to the hospital and when I feel ready to push

2. No IV, not even if I am GBS +; I will be doing the Hibeclens wash instead

3. No newborn after care. This includes: No eye ointment, No vitamin K (Unless there is brusing, then oral vitamin K), no circumcision

4. I will be catching my own baby, Sam will cut the cord after it's done pulsating.

5. I give birth in any position I so chose. This includes the tub, hands and knees, squatting, on my side, etc. I would like the mirror (or a small mirror if I am in the tub) so I can see my child being born.

6. A birth photgrapher, doula, two friends and my husband (as well as my daughter) will be present for the birth.

7. Immediate skin to skin...if baby needs oxygen, do it on my stomach. I of course am okay if there needs to be NICU care, which was necessary with my daughter.

8. Don't even mention pain medication or augmentation of labor to me. I will use a breastpump, reflexology, etc.

9. Baby will never leave our room, not even for the hearing test. You can bring the crap to us. The only circumstances that will warrant her leaving will be if they need to do a carseat trending, which my husband will attend. It was necessary for Brylie because of breathing problems and obviously I care more about the baby being safe than it never leaving my room.

10. I will not "initiate" breastfeeding - my baby will. I don't want anyone to "get her to latch on", and we will be practicing the breast crawl method.

11. Lights dim when laboring and birthing, music of my choice on.

12. Students may be present, if they are being active. No one just watching and sitting around.

13. Should a c-section be necessary, we will discuss it then and I will not sign any consents prior to that. No emergency c-sections consent, etc.
Also, should a c-section be necessary, my doula and my husband will be present and we will be video taping the same way we would a vaginal birth. The sheet will be down, and the baby will stay with me. Immediate skin to skin will take place and she will not leave until I go to recovery.

I'm sure there is more, "small" things...but those are the big things for me. Mostly the positions, breastfeeding, and c-section sections.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
August 17th, 2010, 05:30 PM
missmich
Chica mine has some of the same things you have,but worded differently.

The first thing in my birth plan is:

My name is MICHELLE and you will call me MICHELLE or Mommy at all times and use my legal name for legal/billing purposes only. If you need more information about this please discuss it with my doula.

See Michelle is my middle name and I use a different last name then the name on medical card so they of course have to use that for the paper work. They are legally allowed to call me my middle name,but the doctors etc... often refuse and are rude about it. Actually hearing my first name causes a panic attack at times! My doula is there to help explain this to them.

Then I say something like :

I have a history of panic attacks and childhood abuse and issues may come up during labor and childbirth. Please help me avoid panic/anxiety attacks by explaining what you're doing and do NOT do anything I may feel is invasive unless you ask first. If you see I'm having an attack please allow me to breathe slowly,offer me gas/oxygen and let my doula step in and take care of me as she and I have a plan for this.

For me I feel those 2 things are so important to have the staff know about so I can be calm and relaxed during the birth.

I'm wanting to be in any position I'm comfortable in,and will catch the baby if the doctor isn't comfortable with my pushing position,Ill wait for the cord to stop pulsating and hope to cut it myself and have skin to skin contact and BF right away. Dim lights and NO talking,except in hushed quiet voices during the pushing and after he arrives. Delayed testing and he's not to leave the room unless he has to then my doula will be with him at ALL times and she will also get a bracelet like he and I have.
August 18th, 2010, 06:57 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
Michelle, just wanted to let you know that my legal first name is Carey but I have gone by Danielle my entire life. When my dd was born I only had to tell them once and they always called me Danielle. No problems there - the nurses really do WANT you to be happy and comfortable. You might enjoy reading this blog of a fellow JM Mama who is also a L&D nurse
10 centimeters and beyond

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
August 18th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
My birth plan is eat what I want when I want. Watch movies (hopefully) to pass the time. Walk, rock, sway, crawl, whatever I want to soothe the pain. Shower (baths just ick me out) if I want to. Birth in whatever position I want and have either myself or dh catch the baby (he caught #2, I caught #3). Have the kids cut the umbilical cord after it's done pulsing. That's pretty much it. I birth UC now after a miserable hospital experience with #1 where they pretty much disregarded ALL my birth plan wishes (no pain meds or offering of them-pretty much EVERY time someone walked in my room they'd say "are you ready for the epi now?", no episiotomy-the doctor didn't even ask, he just announced as he snipped, holding my baby immediately-my perfectly healthy son was taken clear across the room where I couldn't see him for 10+ minutes immediately after birth, etc).

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
August 18th, 2010, 04:42 PM
missmich
Thanks for that link Danielle,I'm going to have a read after I have some dinner.

My name things is a huge issue here in this province. They all look at me like I'm crazy and the only one to ever use their middle name. I had a hard time telling my doctor to call me Michelle and she often forgets and it make me so mad. That's why I made is so clear in my birth plan. They always seem to think that it isn't my name since it isn't even on my medical card though it should be. I don't know why the middle name was left off.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search