If you chose to have the epidural,when did you feel it the right time for it?

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 25th, 2010, 07:13 PM
missmich
My goal is to have a natural childbirth. If I need pain meds at some point I'll take something,but I really want to avoid the epi. I will give in and take it though if I reach a certain point and know I need it.

My doula knows what my goals are and is very supportive and will "push" me to sticking to my goals but if I say I want the epi she'll still support me. She asked me today at what point to I really want the epi and I didn't know the answer.

So those that did choose the epidural how did you know it was time for it? I know the answers will be different for each woman here,but if I hear some of your reasons and your experiences then it will help me decide to know when I'm ready.

Thanks!
August 25th, 2010, 08:08 PM
~Allison~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I knew it was time for one when I couldn't handle the pain of the contractions anymore. After they broke my water, I went 2 hours, and then decided it was time. My contractions were very close together, lasted a very long time, and were very painful. I was over it, and wanted to rest & relax.

August 25th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My breaking point came when...

1. I was on maxed out Pitocin going on 14 hours...
2. I had not dilated past 4cm since 11am... and this was with doing every NCB technique I read up on, and others my nurses offered... The only time I was laying in bed was when I had the epi, other than that I was constantly up and walking, sqatting, sitting, rocking, dancing, what have you and nothing helped me dilate!
3. I was coming up on my "24 hours" since my water broke...
4. I was threatened for the 4th time with a c-section...

I got the epidural around 730-ish which was about the time I agreed with the nurse that I should get one, and they had to call anesthia... I have my daughter at 10:30pm... By the time I had gotten the epidural and I was fully dilated and effaced was 2 hours, after I was effaced and dilated they shut the epidural off... not even 15 minutes after shutting it off I had the urge to push and DD was born 4-5 pushes later...

Since my main goal was not to have a c/s, I broke down and got the epi... it truly did save me from a c/s. My nurse even told me due to the stress I was being put under by my wretched OB I could not relax my body enough to dilate the rest of the way. The epidural was what I needed to relax the muscles and ligaments in my pelvis, I had the "fight-or-flight syndrome" going on.

I had my heart set on a NCB, I had such a hard time consenting to the epi but was talked to by my nurse about how it can help women. She mentioned that I had been on pitocin so long, my cervix was favorable for Pitocin, but because of how stressed I was by my OB my body subconsciously did not want me to relax enough to finish out on my own. She explained that this happens in nature, take for instance a mother deer in labor, no threat in sight she is laboring fine, next she senses a predator or has fear her body can stop labor until she is out of harms way... I was the laboring deer, and my OB was the hungry wolf...

After talking for some time with my nurse I just knew it was time, I was being told that I was approaching my 24 hours since my water broke, I was being told I would end up in a c/s... I took the lesser of the two evils and opted for the epi.. I am grateful...
August 25th, 2010, 10:07 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't get an epidural, but you will know if you need it. good luck!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
August 26th, 2010, 07:37 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
I would offer one word of advice. Set yourself a time limit. As in "from the moment I feel like I can't handle this anymore, I will continue trying to get control of my pain for x# of minutes. And then tell your doula to stick to it. I knew at 8pm that I couldn't handle the pain anymore. Something was wrong. I sat in a chair with my husband doing knee presses and tears streamed down my face even though I made no noise bc if I had opened my mouth I would have screamed. Between contrx I told him "something is wrong. I'm not getting ANY break. I can't take this." And it wasn't until midnight that I consented to the epi after my midwife insisted. Why? Bc I was stubborn and I was having a NCB dang it! But those 4 hours took their toll badly. That was 4 hours of contrx that lasted for 5-6 min EACH with 30 sec in between. By the time my epi was placed, I was too weak to lift my head or pick my arms up to hug my husband without help. It was awful - and it really contributed to my inability to bond with my dd after she was born. Sometimes you get worn out and frustrated and a change of position or a hot bath or some words of encouragement give you a second or third or fourth wind. But if after an hour (just for example), you're not feeling any more in control of your pain than you were before - it's time for the epi. Don't wait until you're just wrecked like I did.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
August 26th, 2010, 04:35 PM
missmich
Thank you ladies for all the helpful advice. Danielle sounds like you had a tough time but learned a lot for your next labor. I think I learned a lot by reading about your experience as well.

My goal is to have a natural labor,but my bigger and much more important goal is to have a birth experience that I'm in control of,for the most part anyway. I want to be able to make informed choices on my own and not be pushed into anything.

Ideally I'd like to try some natural pain relief methods like a bath and I'll be at home for the first part of labor so I can relax and take my time. Then if I need to I'll opt for a pain blocker before an epidural. I really want to avoid the c-section at all costs.
August 27th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My goal was to either have a natural childbirth or at least delay medication for as long as possible.

I had a very protracted labor and I chose the epidural after:
-the 25th hour of active labor (no joke!) that was preceded by approximately 10 hours of early labor
-it was also my 39th hour without sleep. This was the big deciding factor. I have never been SOOOO exhausted in my whole life and I lost the ability to handle the every other minute contractions.
-I made it to 8cm but was still progressing extremely slowly. My membranes had not ruptured and they would not do it for me (they ended up doing it at 10 cm).

Anyway, it was a very good decision for me. I wish I had gotten it a bit earlier. It kicked in within 5 minutes and I was asleep the second it was effective! Slept a good 3 hours before pushing! No side effects whatsoever either.
7 lbs 6 oz, 21 inches
August 30th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think they should start giving the epidural at the beginning of the Third Trimester of pregnancy LOL

Many Many Thanks to GraysMama (Chelsea) for my AMAZING Siggy!!!

August 30th, 2010, 04:49 PM
missmich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama to 3 Monsters View Post
I think they should start giving the epidural at the beginning of the Third Trimester of pregnancy LOL
Yeah I know what you mean! I sometimes get a painful twinge when I need to pee and I'm like ouchie..... give me an epi now!!!
August 30th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama to 3 Monsters View Post

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
August 31st, 2010, 05:21 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
When I got it, I was 4cm. But I had just started trembling horribly, wanting to puke and curl up in a corner and die. I was on pitocin btw and they had just recently turned it up for the first time. I was calm and it was manageable til that point, but the contractions then became on top of eachother and pretty long and I couldn't deal anymore. Just about an hour later, they checked and I was at 10. 4 to 10 in an hour is intense, but it kicked in right away so I didn't have to feel it very long. In one way if I had known that I would only have to deal with it for an hour longer, I may not have gotten it. But in another way, I'm happy to have gotten it at that point because if I waited, maybe I wouldn't have been able to.

I'm going to try to go without it this time, and make it as long as I can without it. Hopefully I won't need it. I hesitate to get it right off the bat though b/c in some cases an epi can stall out labor.

Last edited by JulieMc; August 31st, 2010 at 05:23 PM.
September 7th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I got mine about 6-7 hours into my induced labor. I was only 3-4 cm dialated, and felt like a huge weenie. I was sitting on the edge of the bed, contracting about every 3-4 minutes, perfectly fine between the contractions, a horrible person to be around during them. DH was sitting behind me and I would lay back on him between the contractions and then yell at him to get off of me once a contraction started. After the epi I was a much easier person to be around!

September 8th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to USArmySPC_2010
I got mine about 7 hours into labor because DR doesnt want to make two trips!!!!!! I wanted to go as long as I could before getting the epi, my contractions were non exsistance at that point so I was in no pain!!!

Anyways I was allergic to the epi so instead of feeling pain I itched like crazy so bad the nurses and DH had to make sure I didnt hurt myself!!!! They even tried benadryal to help, but it didnt.

So I will not use that again!!

October 4th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USArmySPC_2010 View Post
I got mine about 7 hours into labor because DR doesnt want to make two trips!!!!!! I wanted to go as long as I could before getting the epi, my contractions were non exsistance at that point so I was in no pain!!!

Anyways I was allergic to the epi so instead of feeling pain I itched like crazy so bad the nurses and DH had to make sure I didnt hurt myself!!!! They even tried benadryal to help, but it didnt.

So I will not use that again!!
that sounds really awful I'm sorry that happened to you

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
October 4th, 2010, 06:19 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
I had one with my first and 2nd went in wanting one, so I asked for them fairly early on...now mind you I was 8cm when I got there with my first and some hospitals won't even let you get one at that point, so I was just lucky since I wanted one.

With the 3rd and 4th I didn't want one...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search