Transition

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 4th, 2010, 08:59 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How long did transition last for you?

Did you realize what it was?

What did you feel like during transition?

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
September 5th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh gosh, it was about 30 mins of transition...

Did you realize what it was? Yup

What did you feel like during transition? even though I had an epi it didn't take all the way and I was still able to feel what was going on down there... as soon as transition hit I started in with all the "I'm not ready for this." Self doubt and not wanting or ready to be a mother. I started crying because I knew it would not longer be just DH and I and things were going to change... mainly it was the self doubt and I could feel her moving on down... i swear I have a 30 mins internal monologue with myself during transition... the pressure and pain increased as well... I was sooo cold during labor that once transition hit I was so hot, the nurse brought in a fan for me, and gave me cold water to sip on, I didn't even care who was in the room at the time either...I trully enjoyed transition it caused me such a rush and the unknown that it scared me but I got a rush as well...
September 5th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Transition lasted quite awhile for me. I would guess a little longer than an hour, and I absolutely did not recognize it. I was only at 6cm when I went into transition so I don't think anyone really thought it was "it". I was exhausted from 19 hours of pitocin, and I think everyone thought I was just too far gone at that point to even care about a natural birth....but literally seconds before I was going to get some drugs (stadol) I felt her drop and had to push..thankfully!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
September 20th, 2010, 07:11 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
#1: Transition with Cassidy took about 3 hours. Back labor, too *shudders*.
#2: Transition with Joel took about 50 minutes.

#1: No. I was just fighting through each contraction and dozing between them in the tub.
#2: Yes. I knew. And I was so happy it was almost over!

#1: I was having back labor, so I was getting tearing, puking, head-exploding contractions in my lower back, and I had to lay on my side in the tub because I couldn't lay on my back at all.
#2: Piece of cake. I had no back labor with Joel, and I remember thinking, "Am I actually in labor?" because the pain was so much less.

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

September 26th, 2010, 07:48 AM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
Out of my 4 labors (5 births)

#1: 45 minutes.
#2: 45 minutes
#3: 1-2 contractions
#4: n/a

#1: No. I had just been checked and was 'only 4cm'. 5 minutes later and I was transitioning.
#2: Yes.
#3: Yes.
#4: n/a - no one saw the signs

#1: I was pissed and frustrated, not really in pain, shaky and felt feverish. I wanted to go home and go to bed. I told dh this and he said 'ok, I'll pack us up.' I thought 'dork!'. Then, 'I can't do this, I just need a little something to help' - and he replied 'you are almost there, we can do anything together, and I am not going anywhere. Let me help'.
#2: Felt shaky and weak, really tired... I was internalizing a lot, grumbling in my head that I was pissed at the butt pain and knew my babe was posterior and not turning and no one was making it better and I hated hospitals.. . blah blah blah - and cntx were right on top of one another... finally, my doula/friend said 'just say it, whatever you are mulling about, just say it'. I blurted out 'this is the part where I say I want to be done and dh starts to joke that he will pack us up'. DH said 'and this is the part where we know you only have about 45 minutes more before you start pushing. Sweet! I'll go get the nurse!'
#3: I was beginning to doubt myself, contx were every 2 minutes and lasting 90 sec. I looked at dh and said 'guess what time it is', and he grinned 'we're almost there baby'. He knew by that time I just needed to hear those words.
#4: we either didn't see the signs or it was so fast we didn't catch it. He was my longest labor too.

Bellies & Babies Blogger
September 27th, 2010, 02:44 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
I went from 4 to 10 in about an hour... so I'm pretty sure it went fast. What part do they actually consider transition? It was intense!! At the time I didn't know that's what was happening, I just felt defeated and like I couldn't go on. And I was like, get me the epi NOW, I can't do it anymore. I started shaking intensely and wanted to puke. I felt like I needed to leave and like I couldn't lay in bed another minute. They got me epi, and not too much later it was baby time.

September 28th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Julie, that's most definitely transition! Youre a text book case of transition

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
September 30th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Hunni
*New here *
with #1 I had no idea what it was, or how long really I just remember breathing in that wonderful laughing gas lol and gettng up to pee every 2 minutes...then I just felt the need to push, so ya I really have no clue.
with #2 it was let's see maybe 20 minutes if that, I knew what it was, I felt the change my contrax before were nothing hardly noticeable and then all of a sudden I was on the bed begging for someone to check me since they hadn't yet lol. 20 minutes later I pushed twice and DS flew out of me literally lol.
October 1st, 2010, 07:56 AM
hunni, welcome to the board! Your babies are beautiful!!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
October 1st, 2010, 11:22 AM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicaChels View Post
Julie, that's most definitely transition! Youre a text book case of transition
I wish I would have known at the time. The doctors and nurses kept praising my decision to get the epi and saying that's the reason things moved along so quickly and I made progress. But knowing all I know now..the symptoms I had were signs that it was transition...and if I'd have known that then, I'd have held out and not gotten the epi. Oh well... I know better for this time!!

October 2nd, 2010, 04:49 AM
Aeterna's Avatar Super Speshil
Quote:
#1 - I started labor in transition, so 2 hours 15 minutes. Didn't begin pushing until about 45 minutes later. We wanted to give her time to descend on her own. They felt like moderate-strong (though not painful) menstrual cramps.

#2 - 32 minutes (started having regular contractions 15 minutes before but they were more like BH)--pretty much the length of my 'labor.' They felt like waves of tightening/pressure. Intense, but not painful.

#3 - My labor was 1 hour 40 minutes. I'm not sure how much of the was transition. I was drugged up and not really caring.

#4 - Um, I had five back to back (every 10 or so seconds) contractions that expelled him. That was the extent of my labor. I was 6 cm just before he was born, but I was not in labor. I had been almost 5 cm for a week so getting to 6 cm didn't take any effort or work on my part. I went from 6 cm to birth in about a minute. Contractions with him felt like cramps.

Quote:
With three of them I started labor in transition. I never experienced the earlier stages.

Quote:
Excited because it meant labor had finally started. With my last baby I was in shock and denial because I went from being fine, normal, no labor, and impatient to birth within a matter of a few minutes. It took a lot to process.

October 6th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Amanda_Marie's Avatar Mommy to Owen
How long did transition last for you? phew, not long from what I remember...30 mins?

Did you realize what it was? I did, but the nurses didn't believe me. I felt insanely nauseous. Never threw up though

What did you feel like during transition? Not good, that's all I can say.

Thank you Tasha_Mae for my beautiful siggy!
October 22nd, 2010, 07:23 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
I was in transition for a few hours. I'm not sure because my sense of time was just... not there. DH says about a couple hours. 6am to 8am apparently. (he has a good memory) I was shaking all over... then started vomiting. I started asking everyone for pain medicine and crying because i wanted the labor to just go away. I'd read alot about birth, so i knew what it was. I was just mad because it was so long, and it was another couple hours before i delievered.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search