Natural vs. Epi Why did you choose one over the other?

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 12th, 2011, 04:10 PM
sharita's Avatar Veteran
The epi was practically forced on me during my first birth. I was induced and wanted to go natural. Yeah, it was painful but I was confident I could do it. However, it's all about what is convenient for the nurses sometimes. I kept squirming around too much and the monitors kept slipping and every few minutes they kept having to come back in and readjust them so they told me all kinds of stuff like women who get induced need the epidural and started scaring me with how much worse it was gonna get (I was at 6 cm and never asked for anything).

Either way, I finally gave in. I mean, even before I had it they wouldn't let me out of bed, made me squat in the bed over a bedpan to poop, how degrading! I may have well had the epi. I took it and it took 4 tries, so painful to get it.
I had back probs for months at the site.

My recovery was so much slower, and feeling didnt come back but to half my body hours later. The next day, it finally returned to the other half.

I hate that once the epi is in, there are twice as many rules and you no longer have as many options and they kind of call the shots.

With my 2nd and every once since I havent had it. Yeah it hurts but soooo much better than getting the epi. Recovery is so much faster and I love that birthing high that helps with bonding I think.

I love that I knew my rights the 2nd time around as well. I could change positions much as i wanted, etc not getting it. I could also be a more active participant in my birth. It was amazing feeling the baby come down, telling the nurses it was time, I need to push, rather than them have to check me and tell me when to push.

Either way, every woman is different. I am all for every woman getting the birth she wants. If she goes in knowing she wants all the interventions and augmentations available, more power to her. As long as she is happy after. Nothing like having things forced on you.

I mean, its bad having the epi and all kinds of other things you dont want forced on you, but what if it was the other way around and you wanted the pain relief or this or that and someone else was making that decision for you and you had to fight for it and they didnt want to give it because it made things more of a hassle for them?

Either way, I am all about the mother having informed consent and making her own choices (of course, this is all barring medical complications of mom or baby).

Risks vs benefits, I am a no epi mom but don't think I wouldnt start considering if I had one of those marathon slow progressing births that last days though. Ha.

You just never know how you are gonna feel in that moment but as long as in that moment, you are well informed and have educated yourself so that you can weigh the pros and cons yourself and make the decision that is right for YOU and not the medical staff.
February 13th, 2011, 01:37 AM
Crystal_Lynn's Avatar Ari and Zev's Mommy
I decided long before getting pregnant that I'd go natural. When I was in labor they offered my an epi many times. I finally told the nurse, thanks for the offer, but I wont want one at all. She politely said,"NOT AT ALL!?! Are you crazy?". Honestly for me I think the pain of getting the epi would have been worse than the discomfort (I wouldn't even call it pain) of labor.

.My Pregnancy Blog.Last update: 01.05.12.

Some babies are born to soon and/or too sick. Arm yourself with knowledge, visit marchofdimes.com!
February 14th, 2011, 10:15 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
ds1 was Nubain and Epidural. I didn't want anything, but after all the restrictions they put upon me and asking me every 5 minutes I finally said yes. I hated both.

ds2 was a homebirth so no medications at all. I loved that much better and the labor, birth and postpartum period went much better as well.
February 14th, 2011, 12:15 PM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do the nurses really ask you so much if you want an epidural? My sons are 20, 18 and 15 so it has been a long time since I gave birth. I don't ever remember being asked if I wanted pain meds.... I was watching a show on TV last night and they said 90% of births now a days are with an Epidural. I am definitely not against them - my labors were hard!

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

February 14th, 2011, 05:54 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by missy123 View Post
Do the nurses really ask you so much if you want an epidural? My sons are 20, 18 and 15 so it has been a long time since I gave birth. I don't ever remember being asked if I wanted pain meds.... I was watching a show on TV last night and they said 90% of births now a days are with an Epidural. I am definitely not against them - my labors were hard!
I had 1 son in the hospital and she asked me about every 5 minutes. I use to Doula as well and have worked in 2 hospitals and they would constantly ask the women, even those who said don't ask me. 90% of births are with pain meds, but there are more than 10% of women who want to go med free, but the obstacles set up against them sometimes make that hard to impossible.
February 14th, 2011, 06:28 PM
silverlife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With my daughter (a natural birth in the hospital), I was asked when I arrived. I turned it down and after that I was never offered it again. I'm not sure if the fact that I was about 7cm when I arrived made a difference.
February 14th, 2011, 06:46 PM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
wow, this makes me really re-think what I would do if we get pregnant. With the boys I ran to the hospital with the first contraction - I think I would try to wait it out at home and go in later on.

Why do they push the pain meds on girls these days?

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

February 15th, 2011, 06:22 AM
amberjolie's Avatar Super Mommy
With my first, I went in thinking I'd prefer not to have an epidural but would get one if it got too much to bear. They had TENS there, which worked enough for me that I didn't feel I needed the epidural, and I was happy that I didn't get it. I guess I wanted to be able to feel what full labour and delivery was like, just to say I had experienced it.

With my second, I asked for an epidural because it was a lot more intense and I figured I still had hours to go. Didn't realize I was already a hair away from 10cm, so it was too late for one, which actually was fine; I didn't really want one but didn't think I could handle much more. Fortunately, I didn't have much time left to go!

With my third, when I got to the point that I thought was too rough to handle, I remembered that I didn't have long to go (as per my second delivery), so I didn't ask for it then either.

I had midwives for my last two deliveries, so they didn't ask about epidurals. With my first, though, I don't recall the nurses asking if I wanted it. Maybe I just don't remember.

February 26th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Twoboysmaybemore's Avatar Veteran
Missy- I think it is because a pain free woman is easier to work with. They can tell them when to push, when not to push, and how to push. I think it just makes things more "manageable" for them.

My first I made the mistake of saying I was going to try to go natural. As a result, I was asked numerous times if I wanted the epi and after DAYS of contractions I caved and said yes. Long story short, getting the epi was so uncomfortable due to me having strong contraction at the time. It didn't really work. I could feel the catheter (urine) and hated that feeling. I hated not being able to get up for so long after delivering. It just wasn't a good experience.

The second time I said, with confidence and with my husband on the exact same page that I did not want an epi. I made it clear from the beginning and no one really gave me a hard time. Labor is hard work and I felt it but I loved the experience. For me, the best part was delivering at 7 pm and sitting in a recliner eating pizza at 9 pm. I had and enjoyed an adrenaline high from pushing out my baby! Plus, I think knowing when I needed to push and pushing when I felt the urge helped me to deliver my huge fella (10lb3oz) with only a minor tear (needed only one little stitch). I will admit that there was a moment during labor that I told my husband that I would never go natural again but within moments of delivery I was so proud of what I had done that I am eager to have a natural birth experience again!!
---6 early losses---
Joey- 7/15/10

March 1st, 2011, 11:09 AM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had an epi because that is what I wanted. I wanted something to make the birthing experience something that I would not be terrified of.
March 14th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePies2 View Post
My first birth was going along great -- 8cm, 5 hours into labor and I decided for an epi. Everything stalled and after another 5 hours of labor, it all ended in a C-section. Aftwards, I had the WORST back pain! They actually had to readminister the epi when I went into the delivery room because when they were moving me from one table to the other, the darn thing was pulled out! Frustrating. I swear that I still feel back pain in that location almost 6 years later.

My second birth was all-natural -- a VBac. Very intense and over in about 3 hours. Since I have experienced both worlds of pain, I would have to say that I would do it all natural again. It was totally amazing--painful, but amazing.

But whichever way you go, it has to be a personal decision. No one should coerce you one way or the other. You're the only one who knows what your body is capable of.
Thanks for sharing this! Your first birth describes mine exactly (except the epi coming out part) and I'm trying for a VBAC this time! I hope I have as great a 2nd birth experience as you did!

I'm choosing NCB because I want a VBAC so badly! As mentioned earlier, an epi can increase the risk of CS (stalled labor and fetal distress)... and I believe it caused my first one!
March 24th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Mama Chemist 73's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I tried to go natural with my first, but I found out rather quickly that my pain tolerance was not going to be enough. Rather than scaring ladies in the next room with my "ahem" moaning, I decided to get the epidural. It made me much more calm and was able to labor well after that point. With my son, I got the epi since I knew how the pain would affect me. With my most recent daughter, I had to have an emerganey c-sect so didn't have a choice but I would have gone epidural again.

My Ovulation Chart
March 26th, 2011, 09:09 PM
MommyMelissa's Avatar *Melissa*
Just passing through from PR Jan 11. I had epi with both pregnancies since I am a baby when it comes to pain.

With DD1, the epi failed. I felt everything.grrr.

With DD2, the anesthesiologist stayed with me until I was perfectly numb, what a sweetheart and what a difference. I enjoyed my labor and loved every minute of it! I am not saying I did not like my experience with DD1 as I did get to basically exerience a natural childbirth and am happy I did.
April 3rd, 2011, 08:53 AM
sunny mama's Avatar Super Mommy
Natural. Two reasons: I did not want any medicine getting to the baby and I wanted a fast labor. An epi can make labor stall. And can result in fetal distress.

Last edited by sunny mama; April 3rd, 2011 at 09:10 AM.
April 8th, 2011, 06:00 PM
♥womanintheshoe♥'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lurking...bored on couch rest so checking out other boards/posts.

#1: Didn't get epi because I was told that labor was "uncomfortable" and I figured it couldn't be all that bad. Um, yeah. My mom lied. When I finally yelled for an epi I was 10cm and ready to push.

#2: Didn't get epi because I had more practice for childbirth and thought it would make a difference. Nope. It hurt just as bad. Again yelled for drugs but was fully dilated and pushing.

#3: Decided on epi as soon as the stick showed two lines. I was terrified at the thought of needles and such but when I breezed through transition in a matter of minutes and pushed without so much as a twinge of pain I was in heaven. And, for the first time in 3 babies, I was able to bond with my new baby rather than struggling in a fog of overwhelming pain (I am NOT one who immediately forgets the pain of childbirth!). It was an amazing experience and I wondered why I had not chosen the epi the first two times. But then...

#4: For some reason I still can't figure out I wanted to naturally. Maybe I wanted to impress some people in my life, I don't know. Got to 6cm, water broke, dilated like crazy, no time for the epi I yelled for. Decided to never go natural again.

#5 & #6: Partial epi - loved it!! Far better than a full epi, could feel contractions but no pain, felt baby being born but no ring of fire. Greatest experience ever. But then...

#7: New hospital, new friends, time had passed since my last natural birth, figured I give natural another try. Stupid, stupid, stupid me. After a one-contraction transition and immediate pushing I went into a state of almost shock. I closed my eyes and wouldn't open them for 20 minutes, wouldn't look at/hold my baby. It was horrible.

#8 & #9: Full epi, awesome labor experience (no pain), easy-peasy delivery, I smiled through it and laughed, I cared that I had a baby and actually remember every detail rather than only remembering a haze of pain.

I didn't bond with my babies after natural childbirth. I didn't want to hold them, nurse, or even move. I don't remember the tiny details after my natural births that I do with the medicated births. I've never forgotten the pain, I've never had a "high" after a natural birth. I feel like someone needs to scrape me off the floor, like I've been flattened both physically and emotionally. I feel guilty for feeling like I do especially when my pain only lasts for a few minutes (literally, that's how fast I go once I hit 4-5cm). But I think that because my labors are insanely out-of-control fast that I cannot cope with the pain; even my midwife, when I was considering a homebirth last time, said there wouldn't be much to help someone who dilates like I do. So an epi is what works for me.

FWIW, my unmedicated babies were sleepier after birth than my medicated babies. So I've never worried about the effect of drugs on my baby.

Also missing 11 precious little ones here with us but for a moment.

VERY cautiously expecting after two losses early 2013. Hoping and praying my Valentine's Day due date baby sticks this time.
April 13th, 2011, 03:09 PM
SoCaliMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
#1 ~ I caved and got a epidural at 5cm and regretted it.

#2~ I made it a goal to have a natural birth and did so. I was even walking around at 8cm holding on a phone conversation with my dad.

April 15th, 2011, 05:49 PM
mticknor's Avatar Veteran
Well I was all for the epi. I got it and it works great at first but after a while I swear all the numbing medication went to my left leg. I could feel or move my left leg AT ALL but I started feeling everything everywhere else. It was awful. I ended up having an emergency csection after 36 hours of labor. The epo didn't work for me...and I think it may have caused me to have a csection
July 29th, 2012, 09:00 PM
I knew I wanted an epi before conception. And I don't regret it, I needed it!
September 2nd, 2012, 06:27 AM
.:Kati:.'s Avatar kyler's mommy
I chose getting an epi no question's asked,i didn't even listen to the risks of it,i said i agree just give me it. I will get it again if i have another child,no doubt!

November 3rd, 2012, 08:46 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
I chose natural b/c it's natural and I'm into all things natural

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search