Natural vs. Epi Why did you choose one over the other?

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 13th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I am just curious why people choose what they do.

I had an induced labor with an epi. I knew going into it that I wanted an epi going into it. I ended up getting it way earlier than I expected, but I also had a way lower pain tolerance than I thought I did. I wanted the epi because I wanted a pain free labor. I wanted to feel contractions, and I did feel a few, and that was enough for me!

October 13th, 2010, 05:11 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I chose natural because I felt it was the safest option for my baby, and myself. I am terrified of having a c-section, and I know that epidurals can increase the risk of a c-section by up to 50%. I felt like I researched my options well, and it was the best decision for my family. I definitely don't think it's the right option for everyone though.
Calendula and beamermarie like this.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
October 13th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
I knew I wanted an epi the minute I got pregnant! I did not want to be in pain! And after feeling contractions for hours I definitely wanted one! And it was great! If there ever is a next time I will be getting one again!

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
October 14th, 2010, 05:58 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I chose natural.
With my first pregnancy, I just wanted to know if I could do it. After 17 hours of back labor with 3 long hours of pushing, I felt like an Amazon queen when she was finally born with no epi.
With my son, labor felt like nothing. I had no back labor, just normal contractions, and I breezed through it. I spent from 6-7 cm to 10 cm in the tub, just hanging out and talking with DH, and I only pushed for 30 minutes. He was 9 pounds 12 ounces! The midwife and I both almost fell off the bed when the nurse yelled that one out

I guess for me it just seemed unnecessary. I know that the medication increases risks all around, and I was pretty sure if I just went into it with the right mindset i would be fine, so I just decided I was going to tough it out, and I'm glad I did as I've heard recovery is harder too after an epi.
The clincher for me, though, was reading during my first pregnancy that the nurses in the nursery can tell the babies whose moms had epidurals from the natural babies just by looking at them. I was like Don't you put that stuff near me! I'll just take the pain, thanks!

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

October 14th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I wanted a natural, but was so tired and hungry, that anything the nurse asked me I just agreed to to get them to be quiet and leave me alone, lol. However, my contractions weren't bad, and a part of me wishes I never had an epi, and part of me is glad I did because DS came out in 3 pushes.

With this one, I haven't quite decided what I want to do. I may go for an epi again, but I may try natural, it all depends.
October 14th, 2010, 08:55 PM
My first birth was going along great -- 8cm, 5 hours into labor and I decided for an epi. Everything stalled and after another 5 hours of labor, it all ended in a C-section. Aftwards, I had the WORST back pain! They actually had to readminister the epi when I went into the delivery room because when they were moving me from one table to the other, the darn thing was pulled out! Frustrating. I swear that I still feel back pain in that location almost 6 years later.

My second birth was all-natural -- a VBac. Very intense and over in about 3 hours. Since I have experienced both worlds of pain, I would have to say that I would do it all natural again. It was totally amazing--painful, but amazing.

But whichever way you go, it has to be a personal decision. No one should coerce you one way or the other. You're the only one who knows what your body is capable of.
October 14th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I wanted a natural birth because it was what was healthiest and safest...

I did end up with an epi for the last 2 hours of labor...
October 15th, 2010, 12:10 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
simplest way to put it - I chose natural because I didn't want to add any risks unless medically necessary.
Calendula likes this.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

October 16th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Hunni
I went natural, mainly because well I hate needles and the thought of one going into my back just hell NO
October 16th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Regular
I've had an epidural with all of my pregnancies; one of the previous posters mentioned that it increases the risk of a c-section by 50%? I've never heard that. It has always helped my cervix to relax and made the labor go quicker. I tried to go natural with my third child, but the contractions were just too intense for me! I admire all of the women who can handle it...I just don't happen to be one of them:-)
October 16th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by calusari View Post
I've had an epidural with all of my pregnancies; one of the previous posters mentioned that it increases the risk of a c-section by 50%? I've never heard that. It has always helped my cervix to relax and made the labor go quicker. I tried to go natural with my third child, but the contractions were just too intense for me! I admire all of the women who can handle it...I just don't happen to be one of them:-)

epidurals can increase the risk of a c-section, but they can also prevent them in mommas who can't relax enough to allow their body to dilate. Tension and stress will stop/stall labor, so it sounds like you made the right choice for you and your babies

welcome to the board!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
October 21st, 2010, 03:57 AM
Calendula's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicaChels View Post
epidurals can increase the risk of a c-section, but they can also prevent them in mommas who can't relax enough to allow their body to dilate. Tension and stress will stop/stall labor, so it sounds like you made the right choice for you and your babies

welcome to the board!
My friend and I were both planning NCBs as they are safest and healthiest in general (she was due 3 months before me). But she developed some blood pressure issues, and in the end she felt that getting an epi would actually be safer for her delivery (she was probably right, too).

Aside from minimizing risks, I also felt like an epi was a really poor choice for me because I know I have a very high pain tolerance, but a super low tolerance for pain meds. It doesn't take much pain meds at all to make me loopy or pass out. I was terrified that an epi, best case scenario, would stall my labor.

I'm really grateful that (despite a lot of back labor from her being sunny side up) I was able to see my NCB plans through. I was thrilled with how alert she was and I feel, in my case, the first few hours of intense and blissful bonding would have been severely impaired by pain meds.
October 22nd, 2010, 07:25 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
I did a (mostly) natural delievery. I got a shot of nubain right after transition. But i avoided the epidural. I didn't want my baby all doped up afterwards, and i wanted to prove that i could do without it. And I did!

Next time though... i will be getting the epidural. My labor was long and miserable without it.

October 22nd, 2010, 08:46 PM
Alice, do you think your mind will change once you are pretty well recovered? Your next labor might be entirely different

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
October 22nd, 2010, 11:17 PM
MOI's Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With my first baby I was induced with pitocin drip after water leak and no labour at 39.6 weeks. Being my first baby those pitocin contractions got to me so I had an epidural.

My second since I had experienced the epi and pit I wanted to try to go natural. They had to start contractions with gel and I did ask for epi about 10 hours in (about 25 minutes before he was born) but my Dr stalled and I got the natural med free birth I wanted. pretty sure just transition talking as water finally broke and I was pushing in 5 minutes after this

My third was gel started as well and I went in 3 hours from start to finish. This one I never even thought to ask for any pain meds.

October 23rd, 2010, 11:52 AM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicaChels View Post
Alice, do you think your mind will change once you are pretty well recovered? Your next labor might be entirely different
This is true. I'm one of those women who didn't feel a lot of pain until i was 7-8cm. The plan for next time (which may change) is to labor at home as long as possible, and get the epidural once i get to the hospital. There is the possibility that with a second labor, i will be a lot farther along once arriving at the hospital, and won't need the epidural. I'm just jealous of those women that feel happy and nice after delivering.. when i felt like death. We'll see once we get there. Still NOT thinking of more babies yet!

October 26th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
With my first, I had heard horror stories about pitocin contractions. So when I needed pitocin with my first, I asked for an epidural to be administered beforehand. I never felt a single pitocin contraction.

With my second, I mentally prepared myself for a NCB, since I knew I wouldn't have the choice to go to the hospital right away (because my husband would take about 50-80 minutes to drop our son off at his parents, get back, and then get me to the hospital). Thus I knew I would need to have some sort of method for coping with contractions while waiting at home. I wound up getting to the hospital at about 7cm, was told that if I wanted an epidural, I had to ask for it then. I was doing so well I skipped it.

Because of my experience (doing just fine with a NCB with one child, choosing an epidural just because of other woman's horror stories with the other), I really have to wonder about the women who are anti-epidural and share birth horror stories. If you think epidurals are harmful, don't ever say anything (online or IRL) that may make a woman think she can't do it without one. And no, sharing how your birth was incredibly painful, but you managed without an epidural is not encouraging--it scares pregnant women! I have no way of knowing if I'm as "strong" as you, all I'm going to remember is the painful agony you say you went through.

Sorry, this is a sore point. Mainly because the woman I know IRL with the worst painful pitocin horror stories also thinks that it's "sinful" to get an epidural. If she kept her mouth shut about the "painful pit", I would have been at least willing to try to do it without an epidural.
October 30th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Super Mommy
I've read a lot about both and I think I've decided to give birth via teleportation.

Mary Elizabeth stillborn at 26 weeks
November 6th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyRVT View Post
I've read a lot about both and I think I've decided to give birth via teleportation.
That sounds good to me!

November 7th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyRVT View Post
Sign me up! lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search