Question about labor length

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 14th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Super Mommy
Hi all, just lurking here...but have a question as I'm newly pregnant and a self admitted research-aholic...so my "need to know" has reached fever pitch

Does the length of labor that my mom went through with me have any bearing on labor that I'll have? I was 9 weeks premature, was very low birthweight (2 pounds, 14 oz) and my mom's labor was quite non-existent - basically, my dad made it to the parking lot of the hospital and I was born right there in the car. As far as I know, she "felt yucky" but really no labor. My sister was also small (5 pounds) and I believe my mom's labor was also quite short with her as well.

I read somewhere that premature babies often have lower birthweight or earlier deliveries when they have kids .... is this just a rumor or is there any truth to it?

Thanks!!!!

November 15th, 2010, 03:21 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
No truth to it!

My mom had all of us kids on or after our due date. Her labors were super quick. I was almost born in the car.

I however, had premature labor several times but it was stopped. I gave birth a week early, and my labor was over 30 hours long.

November 16th, 2010, 08:10 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Agreed...there is no truth to it.

Two of my aunts were born VERY early (back then being born at 32-33 weeks was seriously dangerous) and they were born with very little warning or labor. My grandmas made it to the hospital (one was on an airbase and it was close, one was about 10 minutes away...once on each side of the family, FYI), but it was close each time. Shari weighed 2lbs, 2oz and Anita weighed 3lbs, 1oz. They both were in NICU for a while.

Fast foward to them having children: Shari had three boys, each born in the 38th week (two with long labors and one C-section). Anita had one son and then a set of twins...the son was overdue by a week, the twins came 12 days before their due date (so longer than most twins). All the babies were well into the 6lb range, if not more, including the twins.

I think it is a complete myth that you follow your mother's labors anyway. My mom had all three of us late and had horrible labors where she threw up and bleed tons. And contracted from her 34th week or so until we were born. My son was born at 36 weeks, and I went to the hospital for "cramps" at 2pm and he was born at 5pm. No warning whatsoever that I was even in labor. I would not worry about what happened to you mom and just enjoy your pregnancy.
November 16th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Super Mommy
Thank you ladies! Its amazing how many myths and rumors there are out there. I'm just going to love every second of this pregnancy and am so very excited to meet my little one in July!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search