Log In Sign Up

GBS+, opinions please


Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
November 21st, 2010, 03:47 PM
Newbie
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6
Please help me make a very important decision. I am GBS+ (found in urine at 13 weeks and 24 weeks) and I am allergic to penicillin and susceptibility testing showed that vancomycin is my only option. I am currently 37 weeks pregnant, have one four year old child and went through 2 1/2 years of infertility +one miscarriage to get where I am today.
With my first pregnancy my water broke at night at 39 weeks and within 6 hours my son was born (I was negative for GBS with that pregnancy). This time I was told my labor would probably be half that time, and I also live an hour away from my hospital, plus I need the vancomycin so my doctor suggested induction at 39 weeks exactly. (start IV antibiotics, then pitocin and manually breaking my water)
However, all the doctors at my clinic think that GBS is no big deal and have been pushing weekly cervical checks since 32 weeks (I have declined them all due to what I’ve read online about GBS) but my doctor said he will not order the induction if I don't get a cervical check at my next appointment.
I am torn. I don't want to risk GBS crossing the placenta and infecting my baby via cervical check, but on the other hand I want to make sure I get adequate antibiotics and if my water were to break with this baby too then he would be completely unprotected, potentially for several hours before getting my antibiotics (especially if they break at night again and don’t notice it again).
What would you do in my situation?
Thank you soo much for any input and opinions you can provide.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
November 23rd, 2010, 06:36 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: I'm a husker girl :)
Posts: 16,335
Sorry, I have not replied to this. I am so busy I have been slightly MIA on JM. (bad host!)


I would demand to be retested, if they did not do a cervical swab for GBS. GBS is normal in your body, and literally comes and goes in 3-5 week cycles. So you may have been + on Tuesday, but Tuesday may be the end of your cycle, so you could be negative by Wednesday! It's really a horribly inaccurate test. ESPECIALLY a urine test for it. SIGH.

That being said, I was GBS+ with Brylie (I knew a lot less then than I do now) and my CNM would've never considered inducing me purely for that. (I did end up with a medically necessary induction for HELLP disease, but that was totally unrelated) and
I am also allergic to Penicillin, and had to have Vanco.


I would not consent to an induction before your due date for a reason that was not medically necessary (and my view on it being medically necessary is that you go to the doctor, they see you're very ill and they send your straight to be induced..not "ohh you're showing signs of pre-e, let's induce you at 37w just to be safe"...

I would start taking a probiotic now...as well as taking Garlic supplements. And you can always wash with Hibeclens in labor rather than getting abx.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I will check this often! My schedule was pretty hectic for the past few weeks, but is much slower now.
__________________

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:25 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0