Contractions vs. Bowel Cramps

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 20th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My whole life I've had horrible poo cramps. Doctors have yet to figure out what's wrong with me. Anyway, these bowel attacks I get (I haven't had as many since falling pregnant) are really bad. I double over in pain and get all sweaty. They feel very contraction like, because they come and go consistently until I can poop....

Is this similar to labour? Has anyone else has bowel attacks and gone through labour that can compare the two?

January 21st, 2011, 10:13 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
it doesn't happen often, but when I need to poo and get crampy it's WAY worse than what I felt in labor!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
March 6th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Regular
i have noticed this, i never had these types of bowel attacks except 2 times in my life previous to pregnancy. And boy are they ever painful OMG. Debilitating almost.

Since about week 36, i have noticed them more....and its so confusing because it makes me think it could be labour...even though most women describe labour as more of an intense period like cramp/back pain...it still makes me wonder. Because they come and go, and are sharp.

As much as i hate this feeling, i think once real labour sets in, we will know the difference. Another positive thing is that they are so painful, that contractions really can't be too much worse!!!!
March 7th, 2011, 07:13 AM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
lol! It is very similar!!! Except with contractions you get breaks between.

March 7th, 2011, 07:07 PM
mzbrnbear's Avatar GabrielandLiliana'sMommy
I think that it is compareable in the type of pain; however, I don't think you should underestimate the intesity of labour pain. It also depends on rather or not you get an epi, and rather you go into labour on your own, or are induced.
Good luck!
March 8th, 2011, 08:08 AM
gctattoo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've had a few times where bowel pain felt worse than labor. Specifically the first time I had a bowel movement when I got home from the hospital after having my DD. It had me down on my knees in the hallway. I swear I could feel things twisting in there. Thankfully I only had it a few more times soon after. And I haven't had it quite that bad since.
March 21st, 2011, 06:06 PM
Super Mommy
It feels similar- contractions feel like pressure down there like you need to poop but can't. When my contractions got bad around 7cm I keep running to the bathroom feeling like I needed to go but couldn't. I couldn't sit still and I was super annoyed by people making small talk or people touching me.

March 23rd, 2011, 11:46 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
To me my contractions felt like period cramps. I was induced and things got moving really fast and while I was in a lot of pain with no breaks (contractions were on top of each other), I still could remember having period cramps that felt just as bad. I didn't feel anything "bowel" related until it was time to push. Then, it felt like someone was applying massive pressure on my butt from the inside. Good times!

April 13th, 2011, 07:56 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
You might not be able to distinguish those early dilating contractions. Mine felt just like minor cramps or stomach discomfort. But when the big ones kick in, the ones that mean baby time is imminent, you'll know. If you feel like you need to take a poop amid frequent contractions, it may just be the baby!! It's really hard to put into words, but trust me, you'll know (unless of course you're amongst the very, very rare women who the baby just slides out of on the toilet or after a few cramps..lol).

September 5th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenwonderland View Post
lol! It is very similar!!! Except with contractions you get breaks between.
lol i was getting breaks inbetween and i was starting to get worried but it turned out ten mins later after about 5 painful 10 second what i thought where contractions where just poop lol thankgod
September 5th, 2011, 02:56 PM
im so glad i found this forum i had it today but then realised i just needed to go but seriously thought something was wrong the pain was so sharp and effected my whole belly was finding it hard to breath really painful and scarey but as i sed pooped after 5 times it happened lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search