Water birth with Eppy?

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 21st, 2011, 09:43 AM
OatmealKisses's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I want to have a water birth, but I KNOW I'm going to need an epidural. Can you do both?

Angel Baby gone at 9 weeks, 7/8/13
January 21st, 2011, 10:12 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
no, when you get an epidural you must be in bed with a monitor, blood pressure cuff and catheter hooked up to you.

many people who use water therapy dont need any pain medication....you can't even get in a tub if you have been given IV pain medication because it's just too dangerous for you (you could potentially drown) and it's too dangerous for the baby not to be constantly monitored.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
January 21st, 2011, 10:13 AM
Good to know. I guess I'm going to be bed bound than

January 21st, 2011, 10:16 AM
if you really want a water birth, come to the natural child birth board...with a little education and building trust in your body, im certain you can get your water birth! labor is normal - it's painful, sure, but it's pain with a purpose and it's a pain your body was built to endure! its not like stubbing your toe or something, that's not natural, know what I mean

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
January 21st, 2011, 10:21 AM
I think my mom scared me out of the idea of non-epidural based labor. My whole life all she did was talk about how much it hurt and wished she didn't go natural. I was turned the wrong way and she was on labor for 24 hours.

When I told her I am pregnant that's the first thing she brought up again.....arrggg. I have a VERY low pain tolerance so I don't think it would go over well.

January 21st, 2011, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OatmealKisses View Post
I think my mom scared me out of the idea of non-epidural based labor. My whole life all she did was talk about how much it hurt and wished she didn't go natural. I was turned the wrong way and she was on labor for 24 hours.

When I told her I am pregnant that's the first thing she brought up again.....arrggg. I have a VERY low pain tolerance so I don't think it would go over well.
just because your mom had a bad experience doesn't mean you will! My mom had a natural birth with me and loved it....I had a pitocin induced natural birth with my daughter, and loved it. (Not getting induced, but labor and delivery was not bad at all) and my daughter was posterior as well until right up before she was born.

A lot of people have awful natural birth experiences, and a lot of people have even worse medicated birth experiences (many go from medicated birthing to natural birthing because their first experience was so awful, I don't know many who go from natural to wanting medicated, though I have seen 2 mommas on here mention they're unsure if they "could" do a natural birth again)

either way, if you go in wanting to try for a natural birth you can always use the tub until you decide you need an epidural.

you should look into a Bradley Class - it sounds like you could REALLY benefit from it!

bradleybirth.com

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
January 24th, 2011, 03:29 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No. If you have an epidural you need to be monitored. Plus, most people use the water as a pain reliver and if you're numb from the epidural then that's a null reason.

I've had 2 children. First birth was a birth in the hospital with the Epidural. The pain of the contractions weren't bad at all, the disconnection and complications from the epidural were way worse, and I still regert it. I had my second child at home, no pain medications obviously. The only time I had pain was during transition and that was only an hour and then it was pushing which felt good. After my son was born that 1 hour of pain didn't matter at all. I was on an oxytocin rush and I've never felt so wonderful before. There is a reason why I did it without medications, because the pain is worth it. Your mom had a bad experience, so did I with my first birth, but I don't let that cloud my future births. You need to decide what is best for you and your baby. Don't let someone elses experience or opinion make up your mind for you.

And I agree with PP, come on over to the natural childbirth board.
January 28th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Regular
While I was pregnant, I found relief in the bath tub and thought I would want to labor and deliver in the water as well. Turns out once I got to the hospital my contractions were so close together and I was feeling good, so I ended up forgoing the water, the birthing ball and all the other things I thought I would like to use. Turns out the most comfortable position for me to labor was standing, lying with my upper body on the delivery table.
I went natural, but was prepared to have an epidural if the pain was too bad, but it was manageable.
January 28th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Super Mommy
Nope, I am nurse and I know you can't be in the tub with an epidural and IV. I'm sorry your Mom is sort of pushing the idea of an epidural on you based on her experience. It's a very personal decision so don't let anyone (and this includes the natural birth people!) make you feel like you have to do what they say. You know your own body and pain tolerance best! I have a pet-peeve of new moms getting sort of brainwashed one way or the other using misinformation and scare tactics. Thousands of women give birth every day, and no matter what you choose...before you know it you will be through it and have your wonderful baby in your arms.
(BTW, I have done both and prefer the epidural...lol)
Pregnant with #3!
"The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing."

January 28th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicaChels View Post
no, when you get an epidural you must be in bed with a monitor, blood pressure cuff and catheter hooked up to you.

many people who use water therapy dont need any pain medication....you can't even get in a tub if you have been given IV pain medication because it's just too dangerous for you (you could potentially drown) and it's too dangerous for the baby not to be constantly monitored.
If your speaking of foley catheter I never had one with my epi... I think they are steering away from that, its just another way to introduce an infection into the mother.... just saying... lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search