Blood transfusion after delivery?

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 10th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Jessido's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello,

I am trying to find the correct forum to post this question in and I think this is the most applicable forum. I recently had a late term miscarriage at 18 weeks and after delivery I needed a blood transfusion (2 units). I was wondering if anyone had experienced needing blood after delivery (during a loss or a successful delivery)? I am basically just trying to figure out if I hemorrhaged or if there is a difference between needing blood and hemorrhaging.

I do plan to ask my doc at our follow up soon but I am kind of in a panic right now thinking I hemorrhaged and I don't know what that means for future deliveries.

Thank you,

Jessica

Avery. 4/11
March 11th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
After I delivered my daughter a couple years ago I needed 2-3 bags of blood. From what I understand, my iron was in the critical zone and I lost too much blood. When I lost that much blood (and lost whatever iron stores I DID have) by body sort of went into shock and that's why I needed the transfusion.

March 14th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Regular
I ended up with a uterine infection after my last delivery, which led to a PPH. I had a D&C and ended up in the ICU for 3 days. I had 5 units of blood and 4 units of fresh frozen plasma. Usually you do not get blood transfusion as a precaution. Only if your hemoglobin drops and you need it. Likely you lost more blood than they expected. Hope you get some answers.
March 15th, 2011, 11:28 PM
Some complications of pregnancy also cause problems during labor or delivery. For example, preeclampsia (see Pregnancy Complications: Preeclampsia), which involves high blood pressure accompanied by protein in the urine, can develop any time from the 20th week of pregnancy through the 6 weeks after delivery. Preeclampsia may lead to premature detachment of the placenta from the urea. After the baby is delivered, excessive bleeding from the uterus is a major concern. Ordinarily, the woman loses about 1 pint of blood after delivery. Blood is lost because some blood vessels are opened when the placenta detaches from the uterus. The contractions of the uterus help close these vessels until the vessels can heal.
If you have anemia just before you are expecting your baby, there is a risk that, if you bleed even a small amount during birth, you may become severely anemic..
March 24th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Mama Chemist 73's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
First, I'm sorry for your loss. I had a late term stillbirth at 24wks so I know what that's like.

For my most recent child, I had an emergency c-section and lost enough blood that I needed a transfusion of 2 units. I was having a placental abruption which usually results in rapid blood loss. The following day my heme counts were too low so I got some blood.

My Ovulation Chart
March 27th, 2011, 05:21 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
Birth is a bloody process. You can lose up to 500mL of blood during a vaginal birth (or 1L during a c-section) and still be within normal range. However, at 18 weeks gestation, your body hasn't finished storing up the increased blood volume it will need. It's possible that you could have lost a normal amount of blood (so not a hemorrhage) and still needed a transfusion bc it left your numbers too low. In any event, I hope it will be some consolation to you that this shouldn't increase your chances of requiring transfusion in future deliveries. I'm very sorry for your loss

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
March 27th, 2011, 09:23 PM
It's ok. My friend got Blood Transfusion too after she gave birth because she got some complications and the wounds won't stop bleeding or something like that (I really don't know the exact reason but I guess that was it.)
March 29th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Crystal78's Avatar Mega Super Mommy

Last edited by Crystal78; May 25th, 2012 at 08:09 PM.
April 2nd, 2011, 08:54 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
hi!
I am so sorry for your loss.

as for your question, I would call the doctor and ask. You can request a copy of your records, and they would have had to write up exactly why they gave you a blood transfusion. You should ask about concerns you have for future deliveries.

In my case, I had a transfusion with my son's birth. I also had a D&C and afterwards was fainting any time I stood up or sat up, I had to be lying down.

I was really worried about this with my daughter's birth, but I had a normal healthy birth with her, even did it at home! My midwife had told me prior to labor that just because I needed a transfusion with one birth does not mean at all that another one will be necessary. BUT, because of my transfusion with my first, I did pick up a strange antibody that could be harmful in pregnancy, so if you get pregnant again make sure the doctor knows you had a transfusion and will test you for harmful antibodies so you can be monitored if needed. I had to have a blood test weekly during pregnancy to make sure the antibody level wasn't going up, or I would not have been able to have the baby at home and would have needed a lot of medical intervention to keep baby safe.

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search