Anterior placenta and your labor??

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 3rd, 2011, 08:44 AM
Mischief Managed's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Mischief Managed
I recently found out I had an anterior placenta. It must be directly in the center, because I never feel the baby near my belly button (just on the sides and upper and lower stomach) I was wondering if having an anterior placenta will effect my labor at all? What was your labor like *if you had an anterior placenta*?
April 7th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Mischief Managed's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Mischief Managed

Anyone know anything about this? It has been sitting for a while!

April 7th, 2011, 07:45 PM
amberjolie's Avatar Super Mommy
Hello!

I had an anterior placenta with my second, and I believe I had one with my third as well. I don't think they played a part in either labour.

My second labour was very quick and intense (only about 2.5 hours of active labour), but my third was slower. I found the second one a little hard to handle, but I think that's because of how quick I was dilating. The third one, while not pain-free, seemed easier to me.

While with my third I had a little back labour, I didn't have any with my second. And back labour isn't uncommon for anyone, regardless of the position of the placenta. And it wasn't bad back labour, just enough for me to recognize it and have to try going on my hands and knees to try to relieve my back by having gravity pull the baby away a bit.

Have you asked your ob/gyn or midwife what they thought?

April 8th, 2011, 02:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I had an anterior placenta with my first. Other than not feeling much baby movement, I don't think it affected anything else. An anterior placenta is just as 'normal' as a posterior placenta. Actually all locations are normal as long as it doesn't overly your cervix. I had a very prolonged labor, but as far as I know having an anterior placenta didn't effect anything.
7 lbs 6 oz, 21 inches
April 8th, 2011, 03:57 AM
sharita's Avatar Veteran
I have had an anterior placenta with my last 3 babies. It made all of them tend to stay posterior throughout the pregnancy. However, I never suffered any back labor as all of them turned either right before labor, during, and the other right before delivery. I do believe an anterior placenta tends to make babies posterior and so you are at a slightly greater risk for some back labor but I am proof it isn't a certainty. Babies seem to find their way to the best position.

The only other thing it affected was feeling kicks in the front and they always had a harder time getting the heartbeat on doppler because placenta was right in front.

Student midwife and Homebirthing mama to the brady bunch! (3 boys, 3 girls)
April 9th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My anterior placenta didn't affect my labour at all.... I had some pretty gnarly back labour, but I don't know if that was related to the anterior placenta at all...

April 25th, 2011, 04:08 PM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
Anterior placentas make posterior positioning more likely - which typically means longer and more painful labors and more intense back labor. There is also some evidence that it carries a slightly increased risk of cesarian bc of the posterior positioning. But as you can see here, it's not a death sentence by any means. I would recommend a chiropractor later in your pregnancy to help with positioning. I had one of the terrible horrible no good very bad labors that can result from mal-positioning and I'm 100% convinced the anterior placenta played a role.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
April 30th, 2011, 06:17 PM
sharita's Avatar Veteran
I've had an anterior placenta with the last 4 babies at least, never was told with the first two, but its not a huge deal so they dont tell ya usually unless its low lying and could cause issues. Only thing it affected was heart tones were harder to get since placenta was in the way, babies all stayed posterior. One turned right before labor, the other during transition, the other was born posterior. They were all really quick labors. 4 hour, 6 hour and the one born posterior was only a 2 hour labor, no back labor. So, though it possibly can increase chances of back labor, longer labor, etc, it doesn't nessesarily.

Student midwife and Homebirthing mama to the brady bunch! (3 boys, 3 girls)
May 2nd, 2011, 11:00 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I had an anterior placenta with my first son and I have one again with this baby. I can not say I saw any effect in my first labor...although I didn't and won't (with this pregnancy) have anything to compare it to. Labor was long, but not that painful (it was au naturale). I did not have back labor, although my son did present sideways facing (to the left). I will see how this one goes in about 22 weeks
May 19th, 2011, 08:56 AM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I hadn't really considered that it could affect anything thanks for sharing ladies.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

May 30th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Happy Mommy
I had anterior with L, and I dont think there is anything different. not that I noticed between the two

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search