Pain relief during labor?

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 9th, 2011, 07:26 PM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What kind of pain relief did you use during your labors? I am thinking I want some kind of pain relief but not sold on the epidural.

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

May 10th, 2011, 06:07 AM
amberjolie's Avatar Super Mommy
For my first, the hospital I went to had TENS (can't remember exactly what it stands for, something something Nerve Stimulation). If you haven't heard of it, they put these sticky things on your back and pass an electrical current through them. When you have a contraction, you press a button and it boosts the current, and then you push it again at the end of the contraction and it brings it down again.

I think it stimulates natural painkillers (endorphins), plus it somewhat distracts the mind.

It's not massive pain relief like an epidural, but I found it worked well enough for me to avoid an epidural.

May 11th, 2011, 10:01 AM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I tried something before I got my epi but ultimatly the epidural was the be all end all for me. I wouldn't go in without it .

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

May 11th, 2011, 11:45 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nothing I'm not a fan of pain medications, they come with risks and sometimes make it worse. I had the epidural with my first son and it was horrible. I had nothing with my second son and it was awesome.
May 11th, 2011, 08:48 PM
~Allison~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had an epidural, and absolutely loved it. If I had another baby, I'd get an epidural again.

May 13th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
i have had 6 kids and used nothing, i refuse to use and kind of drug. I rather deal with the pain.

May 22nd, 2011, 09:28 AM
proudmommy2006.2009.2011's Avatar Regular
I'd definitely go with the epidural! Or you could try Stadol, it eases the pain, but you still feel pressure. It didn't work very well for me when I had my first baby or second. I didn't even try it on my third. Before I got the epidural with my third, they gave me something called NewVein (its probably spelled different), its like an IV cocktail that you can have while pregnant. I loved it!

Tricia - Age 25 - Stay at Home Mommy and Loving It - Married to Jarrod - Together We Have 3 Beautiful Daughters; Brianna Marie (11/19/2006), Savannah Lynn (10/08/2009) and Alainna Grace (04/26/2011) - Stepmother to Charles Thomas (05/01/2001) and Ethan David (09/08/2004)

May 26th, 2011, 08:23 PM
You can get a narcotic through an IV when it is too early to get an epidural, and still get an epidural - that's the most you can get. I haven't had my baby yet, but I'm thinking of that route.
October 22nd, 2011, 01:11 AM
Scarlett's Mommy
My grandmother was arguing with me about having a natural birth...props to women that can do that but I will definitely be taking the epidural!

Scarlett Isabella will be here January 21, 2012! =)
October 25th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Veteran
No epidural for me. Just a labor tub.... helps with the contractions and doesn't involve needles or questionable drugs!
October 27th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Luvgreen19's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I went all natural. Too many of the narcotics can dope out the baby too and the thought of being paralyzed for the rest of my life because of a bad epidural made it not even a question for me.
I support every woman making the decision for herself, but I can definitely say that going natural is the only way for me, and I am glad I did it.
I felt great after giving birth, and was able to get up/eat/etc right away with very minimal discomfort.
Round 2- 2013
Two failed Clomid cycles in May-June of 2013 followed by35 days of Follistim at gradually building levels + trigger+IUI= in August 2013!
It's a boy! DS#2 due April 28th, 2014!
Born via planned C-section April 22nd,2014 due to being breech

November 26th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
my labors went to quickly for me to have anything

if this labor takes longer i will go for the iv pain meds but probably stay away from the epi since i didnt have with the other 2 and the pain wasnt horrible for me

Thank you Brittany for my very pretty siggy!
December 27th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Twirlbird's Avatar Mia and Henry's Mama
Send a message via MSN to Twirlbird
I tried for natural childbirth, but had pitocin get the better of me.

I had a shot of demerol, NEVER AGAIN. I was dopey, groggy, and so nauseous even with the gravol that a sip of water caused me to throw up.

They wouldn't give me more of it and ended up caving into an epidural. No complaints about it, but wouldn't know what its like to labour as I ended up with a csection shortly afterwards.
John Henry Clifton aka Henry: April 11th 2013

New Signature coming soon
January 4th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My only regret is not getting my epidural sooner!
January 4th, 2012, 04:49 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Did no pain meds and I was induced...it was pretty painful...looking to just go au naturale myself this next time around. Hoping it will be less painful without that pitocin on board. We'll see! Definitely going to labor in the tub unless it's a fast labor or something. Hope you find a method that works well for you! I have no problems with women who want pain meds, just not my thing. GL!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
January 4th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Veteran

Last edited by knk82414; January 25th, 2012 at 06:05 PM.
July 29th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Gas + epi...all you need...
July 29th, 2012, 11:12 PM
Regular
I can't remember I was using any pain medication at all. My birth was done a few minutes only.
July 30th, 2012, 07:08 AM
BeamerMarie- Due Jan 2012
The epi causes a lot of DOCUMENTED side effects for baby. Also, mom's given the epi are more likely to have longer recoveries, or need C-Sections because, like the lose of the use of your leg muscles, contractions become weaker. It is an all around bad idea. Mother's who use an epi have immensely more complications. Baby's often have lower APGAR scores as well.

I'd have to have a medical emergency before doing an epi (like needing a C-Section). Good news is, without the epi, emergencies are much less common.
August 12th, 2012, 09:43 AM
i tried natural but couldnt stop vomiting (and shaking, felt like i had no control over my muscles). i had phenergran twice with no success, then she gave me stadol which is similar to morphine. it didn't take the edge off of any pain, maybe my big freakin toe. eventually i was so tired of throwing up with every contraction at eight cm i decided to get an epidural if it'd keep me from puking, which it did. i went from eight to ten in five mins time. i could still move my legs and push effictively. i literally pushed three times and she came out. (it was embarrassing cuz the nurses were all talking about it :/ )

and i want to add, my daughter had zero side effects and so did i. it's up to you on whether you want to chance side effects. i was in so much pain and so sick, i just wanted it to be over.

also i wanna add i was induced but didnt get pitocin, i was one cm dilated for weeks and was getting preeclampsia, so they induced me three days before my due date. i had the cervadil put in and went into labor after without pitocin.

Last edited by breastfeedin mama; August 12th, 2012 at 09:52 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search