Pitocin vs. au naturale

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 30th, 2011, 12:27 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hello ladies, I have some musings and wonderings about induced labor vs. natural, no drugs labor.
I was induced with my first little one (he was full term) due to low amniotic fluid and I wondered if there's any way to know how the next labor will go with doing it naturally instead. Well, I guess there's the possibility I could be induced this time around as well, but I'm going to really try hard not to be!

I got induced and I labored with no pain meds while on pitocin. It seemed to go pretty quickly. I went from about a 5cm to a 10 in about 40 minutes after I got in the tub, but boy, those contractions were insane. I was really loud vocally too, I'm sure everyone could hear me all down the hall.

I never really got the urge to push, just went ahead with it since I was 10 cm. Everyone seems to say the pain gets better when you push, but I did NOT have that experience. It was just as bad as the labor pains, just different. I felt like my bones were being crushed from the inside out. I thought for sure there was no way this little guy was going to make it out...he was stuck, plain and simple. Actually he made it out after about 45 minutes of pushing--which seemed much shorter than that.

I guess I feel a little cheated because now I have no way of knowing what real, honest labor will be like (fast, slow, pain level) because I was induced before. I have a good family history as far as labor goes, but how can I know how this one will progress? Ugh, I hate the not knowing. It sucks!

Sorry for the rant, just sort of hoping anyone who's had an induced labor and then a natural one could give me any insight as to the differences.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
March 6th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My oldest son I went into labor naturally but didnt make any progress so i was given pitocin..the contractions did get stronger but they were bound to anyway..with my second son..I went into labor on my own..no meds..my water broke on its own(as it did with my oldest son) I was only in labor for 2 hrs but it was the most painful experience of my life..with my third..I was induced because of a medical condition that makes carrying the baby past 38 weeks risky..and it was more comfortable to me than my second..Honestly I don't think pitocin makes any difference what so ever..LOL..its not going to feel good no matter what you do but I didnt think it was all that bad..
March 7th, 2012, 08:23 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I had the opposite of what you are talking about..my natural was first and my pitocin was second. And they were night and day. My first was "work" but not painful. I did not make a lot of noise, just focused inward. My labor was really long, but sorta mild. Pushing was not a relief for me because I did not get the urge either. It hurt and was intense, but only about 30 minutes. I did not even really think to ask for meds with him. I just didn't need them.

With my second, we were at the hospital too early because we "knew" he was sidelong breech (he was 2 days prior to water breaking). But he had turned and also had a bowel movement. And was showing some minor signs of distress. So I was put on pitocin when I did not progress in 6 hours of labor (which was probably typical, since my first labor was days long). Pitocin made me literally scream with each contraction and I was begging for meds right as I hit 10. The urge to push hit me like a ton of bricks and it was hard to cope with. He was born in 11 minutes. But pushing was not a relief that time either. I just wanted him out.

Honestly, I will be doing everything in my power to have a non-augmented birth next time. I know I can handle natural labor without too much trouble. I did it with my first. But pitocin was miserable. I do not wish to repeat that situation, although it was probably best to get the baby out given the circumstances. So I do think you will find a natural birth to be a very different scenario.
March 8th, 2012, 12:21 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for the input, ladies!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
March 8th, 2012, 06:13 AM
Veteran
My first baby was born at wk 35. My waters broke at 3am and by noon I was having no contractions. So they set me up with picotin. I hated it! It made me fuzzy headed. But comparing contractions with my next birth, which was all natural, I have to say that I didn't find them any worse or better. I did have the urge to push on picotin, and it did feel better when I did push. The worse contractions I had was with my third baby, who was also induced. They used the gel on my cervix, and that really made my contractions strong/more painful.

This is baby number 4! We are team Yellow!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search