Is this true about labor?

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SaphireScorpion

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 19th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Regular
I was reading a few child birthing websites and they said labor often won't come or start until the mother is relaxed or feels ready or safe. Similar to cats and dogs (their analogy not mine). I was wondering if this is often true? For example I'm almost 37 weeks and lost my mucus plug Thursday, have been having contractions off and on since then and my dr said my cervix has moved into the right position for birth as well as started dilating. He said this was the beginning processes of labor and suggested I stay home and relax so I've started my maternity leave. Now that I'm done working I have Everything ready for baby and feel much more relaxed, could this really help progress thing further?
Baby #1 Addison Gail Due June 11th!

May 20th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Relaxing never hurt..That being said when I went into labor for my second son I was so unready and it still happened..I know there are chemicals released when you are in a relaxed state of mind so maybe that has some sort of influence although I can't imagine it would be that much..

July 30th, 2012, 12:26 AM
Regular
I don't think it's true. Baby will come out as long as your cervix is at 10 cm diameter.
August 3rd, 2012, 03:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
relaxing has nothing to do with it. Baby will come when he or she is ready and your body is ready. I know i was told some many time just relax and baby will come didnt happen

August 7th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It was true for me. I was dealing with a lot of fear, anxiety, and other issues. On top of baby being in a not so great position, it wasn't until I relaxed and worked through those issues did I finally go into labor. Actually, I "regressed" in dilation and effacement because I was so stressed dealing with the fear, anxiety, etc.

August 12th, 2012, 10:32 AM
never happened for me
December 11th, 2012, 08:15 AM
I believe that. My DD was born last week....and I didn't go into labor until all my Christmas presents were wrapped, groceries and banking done....house cleaned, birth pool set up...everything.
March 18th, 2013, 07:43 AM
Veteran
I think it's more the opposite; if you're not relaxed, there's a chance that can stall labour. Obviously everyone is different, but it does kind of make sense: if you were starting labour and something absolutely horrible happened and you had to run away, it would be better for you and the baby if labour slowed down a bit so you weren't distracted and vulnerable during your escape! Maybe we evolved that way, and some people hold on to the "old instincts" more than others.
berrybunny likes this.
March 20th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Baby will come when he or she is ready to come. I have tryed everything in the book with all of my kids, and nothing really helped them come into the world. I know it's hard waiting, even more so when you know your just right there and so close.

May 19th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think it will happen when your body and the baby is ready. With my first, the last month I was relaxed and EAGER. I was walking, jogging, jumping, eating spicy food, doing the deed. I tried to get him out. I was 40wks and 4 days. I hadnt gotten to bed until 3am and woke up with contractions at 730, I was mad because I thought they were just "stupid braxton hicks" so I got up went to the bathroom, and got into bed. My fiance asked Baby?? And my reply was "no just stupid braxton hicks!) I rolled over and not 5 minutes later we heard a loud pop lol and of course the bed got wet lol. He said I told you! Baby! Lol. So I was more than ready but I waited for the baby.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search