membrane sweep?

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 29th, 2012, 05:32 AM
Hi, curious as to whether this will work, my cervix is soft, 2cm dilated. What are the chances of it working? Also, how deep do they put their fingers into the cervix? thanks
June 4th, 2012, 05:30 AM
jep2709's Avatar Member
I had this done at 41wks. I'm convinced it helped as I went into labor about 36 hours later. They'll put just the tip of the finger in. Enough to where they can just sweep it around the cervix to separate the membrane from the cervix. The midwife who did mine could feel baby's head. It's not the most comfortable procedure but it was quick and good practice for breathing in labor

Oliver Rhys, born 8/24/11, 8Lb, 2oz

June 27th, 2012, 09:10 AM
This can work really well but it does hurt. Here is a video from my doctor that explains it pretty well:

Cervical Exam | MedTwice
July 27th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Regular
I had this done at 40 weeks. I was 2 cm dilated. It didn't hurt for me. My doctor was actually worried it wasn't going to work for me, because it didn't hurt me very much. It was just uncomfortable, with some pressure feeling, kind of like a pap.
I started having contractions 5 hours later and had my baby that evening.

My doctor's mentor, who is a second doctor for me, told me after the fact that if it's done correctly, you'll go into labor 48 hours after it's done. Obviously my doctor did it correctly. lol
December 11th, 2012, 08:16 AM
It might work...but every baby is different.
December 11th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It worked for me but not as quickly as they said it would. They have to get very deep in your curvix and yes it does hurt but only for a few seconds. It's a very agressive thing they have to do. Anyways, I believe I lost my mucus plug 48 hours afterwards and 1-2 days after that is when my water broke and I went into labor. I was told if it is going to put you into labor it will usually happen 24-48 hours after they do the procedure but it took my body a bit longer. I do think this was a huge factor as it started to put everything into motion slowly but surely.

January 2nd, 2013, 10:25 AM
tryn1998's Avatar Veteran
I think it helps. I was 3-4cm and was in prodromal labor all night long. My contractions were very inconsistent so I didn't even know I was progressing. I only went to the hospital due to lack of fetal movement (he decided to move AFTER I was admitted) and was 6cm when I was admitted and didn't even know it. I went in about 24hrs after the membrane sweep.
January 3rd, 2013, 08:27 AM
Twirlbird's Avatar Mia and Henry's Mama
Send a message via MSN to Twirlbird
I had it 4 times with my daughter and it did nada. You seem to have more factors with it working than not working, but its pretty hit or miss with whether it works(at least to me it seems)

They stick their finger tip up and separate, and I didn't find the cervical part hurt a lot, it was the pressure at my vaginal opening that seemsed to hurt the most!
John Henry Clifton aka Henry: April 11th 2013

New Signature coming soon
March 4th, 2013, 12:13 PM
fairymommy's Avatar Super Mommy
Totally depends on the person. I had it done 2 times (40&41wks) with no results, whereas I know ladies who went into labor hours later....

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search