Were you/Will you be allowed to eat?

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 7th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Me and Jesus <3 You
During labor?? What's the policy on that were you gave/will give birth?

My midwife encouraged me to try to eat during labor to keep up my energy, but warned that some women get pretty sick to their stomachs during labor. The birth center had a full kitchen that we could use, but we only took some Cheezit crackers and Gatorades. I remember going to appointments and seeing new dads carrying crockpots and dishes out to their vehicles lol..
June 20th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Veteran
I am having to use a hospital, and their policy is no food or drinks. Absurd policy, so I will be having my DH smuggle in snacks for me and drinks.
Last labor I had no desire to eat, but was very thirsty and was told I could only have ice chips. I think these people are complete idiots.
laleighpop likes this.
June 22nd, 2012, 02:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Most hospitals put that into place in case you end up with an emergency c-section..anesthesia can and does cause vomitting and doing so while you are laying down could cause you to choke..At my hospital for my first two I wasnt allowed any food or drinks during labor..good thing it only lasted 2 hrs..but with my daughter we used a different hospital and they actually came to my room and took my food order..When I looked at them like they were stupid they told me the doc said I could have light meals during labor..I ended up not eating my dinner anyway because I was too anxious to meet my baby..LOL

July 26th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Veteran
I do understand why the policy was put in place in most hospitals, but from my research, the chances of aspiration while being intubated is actually not that high. (albeit, I am not doctor or researcher).

I look at labor as what it is... work. I would never consider doing a round or 5(let's face it, some labors are long) of P90X without hydration or proper nutrition.

I appreciate a hospital that doesn't blanket the rule, but take these situations case by case.
July 27th, 2012, 07:37 AM
BeamerMarie- Due Jan 2012
I am only 16 weeks and won't know what doctor I will be delivering with until I deliver. I'm seeing a team of 4 doctors, I deliver with whomever is scheduled to work at the time of my delivery. I'm military, so I don't have any choice or say so in my doctor, unless I want to pay out of pocket. This is how the base does things, the end.

I'm due in January, and not taking the hospital classes or tour until November- I'll ask the docs and during the tour.

Regardless, I will be eating if I want to. They can't stop me. Are they going to strap me down? Arrest me? I will be eating if I'm hungry. I get dizzy and sick if I don't eat every 4-5 hours from hypoglycemia, and had this before pregnancy. I have actually passed out and ended up in ambulances twice in my life from low blood sugar. I pity the doctor that tries to stop me.
July 29th, 2012, 08:56 PM
It really depends on the hospital - I wasnt allowed to eat.....unless it was ice chips
July 29th, 2012, 11:14 PM
Regular
I think it's okey to eat but not that much.
August 12th, 2012, 10:16 AM
i was until midnight w/scheduled induction. nothing but ice chips after
August 13th, 2012, 07:05 AM
BeamerMarie- Due Jan 2012
Finally got a good answer from my OB team... totally allowed to eat. However, I've been informed I will not want to... we'll see. I'm happy to know it is at least an option.
October 1st, 2012, 10:20 PM
Super Mommy
I did the ice chips and took lollipops. I ate a good meal at the beginning of labor (around midnight) and a small meal in the morning (around 8).
October 28th, 2012, 05:24 AM
Regular
You are allowed to eat, but my doc said you won't be able to eat. Your mindset won't be in that frame to even think about eating.
October 31st, 2012, 09:30 AM
Veteran
Depends on the hospital. I wasn't allowed to eat with my 1st delivery since I was a candidate for CS. They didn't allow my dh to enter the delivery room, not even into the labor room, though it's okay, as long as me & my baby's fine.
November 3rd, 2012, 08:38 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Hospital with first, MW said I'd be allowed to eat and then it's like she got scared once we were in the hospital and she changed her mind. I ate anyways, DH had someone get some burgers and fries and I took some bites of his. I was ravenous!

Homebirth with Nola and I didn't feel like eating. I was absolutely exhausted and wanted to just fall asleep so DH was getting some honey for me but never made it to my mouth because I pushed Nola out

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

November 4th, 2012, 09:06 PM
.:Kati:.'s Avatar kyler's mommy
I wasn't allowed to put anything into my mouth. They were so strict with that rule if i needed my blood pressure medicine i'm 100% sure they wouldn't have let me have it. LOL. Seriously they wouldn't even let me have a sip of water,no ice. NOTHING!

November 6th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Purrrrrrr's Avatar Semi-crunchy Mommy
No food at our hospital, but ice chips and some water is allowed. I have hyperemesis and once I get throwing up, I just don't stop. With all the cramping from contractions I was nervous I'd start yakking, so I didn't have the desire to eat. I won't with this one either.

My Boring Blog
November 10th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Veteran
only ice chips are allowed. so my friend adviced not to go to the hospital yet until it's fine. just stay at home so u can eat well to keep up with your energy then just go when it's time...
November 11th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Adventuremom's Avatar Leah
I had two hospital births, and no food was allowed. It didn't really affect me, though. With DS1 I was placed in the hospital overnight for a planned induction. I ate dinner in the L&D room, then slept there. I woke at 5am (before they could induce) and my water broke - so avoided the induction there, lol! I wasn't allowed anything but wasn't hungry AT ALL. My labor was fast and he was out by 10:50am. I missed breakfast, but didn't ever feel hungry due to being in labor. I had lunch after they settled me in my room.

With my second son, I had a "drive through delivery," or at least that's what the doc joked about. I had my first contraction at 9:30pm, long after dinner. We went to the hospital at 10:30pm and he was out at 12:18am (just after midnight). I never missed a meal with him, haha!

My chart: My Ovulation Chart
September 27, 2012: 5 weeks, 4 days. November 20, 2012: Ruptured ectopic.

My articles: http://leahlefler.hubpages.com/
November 24th, 2012, 01:09 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With #1 I was allowed crackers. With #2 I went back & forth from hosp to home allowing them to check dilation & stayed home right up until I had him - literally & I ate whatever I felt like eating. I don't care for their rules - so I didn't choose to labor at the hospital. I *think* I could have just insisted & ate if I brought my own snacks, but it was so much nicer just to be at home anyway. I live very very close so I had no worries that I couldn't get there in time. Perhaps I was too lax on it though as he was born 11 mins after the last time we went in.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

Last edited by beck12; November 24th, 2012 at 01:13 PM.
November 24th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Veteran
I had home births so I've always been allowed to eat. I usually have in early labor but not later. With my second I did nibble some peanut butter sandwiches and I think I had a few bites of scrambled egg. The others have gone faster so I've just had plenty of sips of water/juice I'm always starving right after baby comes, though!
November 27th, 2012, 05:57 PM
mojomama's Avatar Super Mommy
I was allowed to eat during all my labors- hospital and home. I did during my first and third, but not my second and fourth. It was more to do with length of labor and desire than anything. The births of my second and fourth were both precipitous.

wife to Michael, mama to Zoe (10), Selene (7), Garvin (4), Gwen (2), and Thomas, born 13 Jan 13

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search