nervous about labor.. need answers

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By UncetainMommy
  • 1 Post By Orangebrittainy
  • 1 Post By moxiemommie
  • 1 Post By moxiemommie

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 28th, 2013, 08:34 PM
ducksaresnazzy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i wanted to get a woman's opinion before i asked my doctor (a male who obviously has never given birth) about my options.

i want a pain killer, i know that much, but i don't want an epidural. i don't think i could sit still long enough to receive the shot and the idea of it in my spine makes me nervous. i've heard of oral/ intravenous pain meds, but every time they're mentioned it says they aren't as effective.

has anyone here used those methods? what was the experience? would you recommend it?

i also heard if you can just sit through labor, it's the worst pain ever but the actual delivery is a breeze. is that true?
July 28th, 2013, 09:24 PM
Super Mommy
I was given tylenol while waiting for the doctor to see if I wasn't too far along for an epidural, I guess I was because he made it in in time to see the nurse catching the baby.

The tylenol did help, not as much as I had hoped it would but more than I expected it to. And on the upside, I didn't need a catheter like you do if you use an epidural.

Yes, once I got to the pushing phase, the pain pretty much melted away.

Or at least that's what my boyfriend says, I can hardly remember more than lots of cussing, and then adorable little baby.

A man who has been there with a woman in labor with out meds, might be a much better judge, because to be honest, you'll hardly remember the pain afterwards. It's natures way of making sure that we'll go ahead and have more than one baby.
_Ava_ likes this.
July 28th, 2013, 09:35 PM
my boyfriend (19yrs old, never seen a birth or anything) is concerned i won't be able to naturally push a baby because i'm small (5'6, 120 prepregnancy which is healthy). i know i should just brush it off but he's very nonchalant about everything so if he's worried, i worry. it doesn't help that every one i talk to has a birth horror story that involves a horrid doctor and/ or excessive tearing.

i'm stressing out a little about the whole labor part:/
July 28th, 2013, 10:11 PM
Super Mommy
lol and my boyfriend thinks I'm tall for a girl at 5'7".

It's more about hip size than height. Even if you have tiny hips you'll probably be fine. Smaller hipped women tend to have smaller babies to accommodate that.

If you want, scheduled an appointment with your doctor or a dula while your boyfriend is there so that you can both be reassured that you're plenty big enough to deliver the baby. Also, the doctor will keep an eye on the baby's size in comparison to your hips, and if he doesn't think it's a proper fit, he will try to talk you into interventions of some sort or other.

Kinda wish I could afford a birthing dula, it would be nice to have someone around for the knowledge and comforting they can provide.
July 28th, 2013, 10:27 PM
my doctor mentioned discussing a c-section with me, it would depend on how quickly my daughter gains weight- but i would prefer to have a vaginal birth unless there's no other way.

i don't really understand what a dula is but i probably can't afford one either:/
July 28th, 2013, 10:46 PM
Super Mommy
You might want to ask him about other aids to delivery such as forceps and vacuum.

Your boyfriend might also just be freaking out because labor and delivery isn't something he can protect you from.

From my understanding, a dula, and I may be spelling that wrong, is someone who is very knowledgeable about pregnancy, childbirth, and often times nursing, and how to talk with the hospital staff to get you as close to the birthing experience as is possible. She's occasionally he is pretty much a birthing coach, nursing coach, and best friend for hire all into one. They'll give you back rubs, walk the halls with you, and make sure your significant other takes care of them-self as well. Also, if you have no other ride at the time they'll come pick you up when you go into labor. In some areas they aren't all that expensive, it depends on the supply and demand ratio.
August 2nd, 2013, 10:38 AM
Veteran
I have had only epidural and natural births so i can't answer your first question about other pain relief.
As for the second question, i do believe they are right. The pushing phase seems easier because you become more of an active participant at that point. The hardest part (not 'painful', but most uncomfortable) was resisting the urges to push before i was fully dialated. Once i was finally "allowed" to relax, and help push the babies along, it was such a relief. So the 'pain' became much more tolerable at that point.
Also, it is normal for your boyfried to worry, but try not to. I was normally 5'1" and barely 100, so no one believed it when i had my 9 pounder, lol. Looks are deceiving and our bodies are amazing!
August 2nd, 2013, 07:44 PM
Orangebrittainy's Avatar Queen of Randomocity
I was 5 foot and 120 pounds before pregnancy with my son. You are not too small. I had to have an IV because I have heart problems and had to have antibiotics, so they gave me Demerol or Nubian. (Its been 7+ years I don't recall which) Anyways it didn't really take away the pain, but it allowed me to relax more, which helped me to conserve my energy.

The first thing you need to know is that typically contractions start out very minor. In fact you may not feel anything at the beginning and just notice your uterus contracting. They usually get gradually more painful so your body builds a tolerance to them.

In the 3rd trimester an ultrasound's accuracy for weight is on average +/- 2 pounds. (According to my Aunt who is an u/s tech) Average babies being 7.5 pounds that give or take 2 pounds is a lot of room for error. My Husband's cousin induced early because they said the baby was 8 pounds at 38 weeks. He was just over 5 pounds at birth. Do your research before allowing a c-section. A c-section isn't bad but its not for everyone. Many doctors are more comfortable with a c-section because they can control it better.

Labor is a long job, and can be pretty unpredictable but Women have been giving birth since the beginning of time. Eve didn't have a Doctor or even a midwife or doula to help her. Her and Adman figured it out all by themselves.
ducksaresnazzy likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for once again doing such amazing work on a siggie
I can do all things through Christ which Strengtheneth me. (Phil 4:13)

August 4th, 2013, 07:10 PM
Honestly, I am the biggest wimp when it comes to needles, but the epidural really isn't that bad; having an IV put in is more painful. A good anesthesiologist makes all the difference.
October 12th, 2013, 03:00 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nubain is the devil. It made me stoned out of my mind to the point that 6 hours of my labour I dont remember. But I have flashes of extreme pain. I dont remember getting an epidural either, I found the bandaide in the shower. All I had from Nubain was misery and a sore *** cheek from the shot. My neighbor said her and her friends had demerol and it did the same to them.

October 12th, 2013, 06:30 PM
Regular
I was 5'4" and 120 pre-pregnancy, small hips, and I got through labor & delivery fine with no drugs at all! My baby was not small either A lot of it depends on getting the baby in a good position.
March 7th, 2014, 12:53 PM
I'm nervous about labor too. I don't mind needles so much, but I weigh 100 lbs and I'm 5'7" with tiny hips .
March 7th, 2014, 06:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have had natural births, no epidural at all. But I did have a phetenol shot with my first because I was super tired and thought labor was going to take alot longer than it did. The shot only lasted 20 minutes but it really took the edge off and I was able to sleep for about 30 minutes (I was in full blown labor btw, went to sleep at 6cm dialated woke up at 7cm dialated. Lol) Labor is painful, but thegreat thing about it is even when you are 10cm and pushing out the baby the contrations are still 30seconds-1minute apart, so you get to "rest" in between. First off I wouldnt jump to the conclusion that you need a cesarean section. My friend is 4'9 and a size 1 and pushed out a 7.15 baby and an 8.6lb baby. Itsnot so much about your build but the size of your pelvic bone. I would encourage you to try different positions when you go to push the baby out, if you are worried that baby will get stuck. Only about 1.7% out of 2000 require cesarean due to the baby not being able to fit through the pelvis. If you can just manage to breathe through the contractions, and enjoy the time in between you will be able to get through it. Easier said than done, infact I recall myself saying omg I cant do this through a particularly painful contraction... but guess what? Labor doesnt just stop because of your doubts lol No, it continues and you just try torelax, stay calm (as far as not stressing) eat a few ice chips, walk, sit, rock (they have rocking chairs at the hospital!) , get in a labor tub (whether you have the baby in a tub or not, the warm water helps-or so Im told- havent tried the tub myself, but I walked, and rocked) Trust your body and you can get through it!
PoppetsMom likes this.

March 7th, 2014, 06:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh and I must add, I carried my first 40 weeks and 4 days... my dr had her dates wrong and was really pushing induction, I refused (I knew the dateswere wrong) She did the stress test and all and he was 100% fine, so they let me wait. They also measured him via ultrasound and insisted that he was 8+ lbs... and I mean they INSISTED. Well, he was born at 6lbs 13oz... so in my opinion, go with your gut. If baby does get "stuck" and you have tried different positions trying to push baby out, then thats when you should go with the c-section (or of course if any complications arise) But I really consider cesareans to be a last resort and unfortunately some drs are more pushy about c sections. So thats why I say if you havent hadany complications, go with your gut.

They were off withmy baby by 10 days if that helps.
laleighpop likes this.

October 18th, 2014, 07:35 AM
BeamerMarie- Due Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksaresnazzy View Post
i wanted to get a woman's opinion before i asked my doctor (a male who obviously has never given birth) about my options.

i want a pain killer, i know that much, but i don't want an epidural. i don't think i could sit still long enough to receive the shot and the idea of it in my spine makes me nervous. i've heard of oral/ intravenous pain meds, but every time they're mentioned it says they aren't as effective.

has anyone here used those methods? what was the experience? would you recommend it?

i also heard if you can just sit through labor, it's the worst pain ever but the actual delivery is a breeze. is that true?

The oral meds do almost nothing. I had them after about 3 days of labor, during an induction, in an attempt to avoid an epidural. My child was acynclitic (sideways) so I would not dilate all the way and couldn't push. I didn't want a c-section, and her heart rate was fine, so we kept me in labor. Eventually, the doctors knew I was hungry, sleep deprived, weak, and unable to continue. I was also in so much pain (pitocin, no epidural, oral meds/IV meds do nothing). They told me I would need a C-section for my own safety, and wanted to the the epidural and let me sleep for a bit first, with a close monitor to make sure the baby was not in distress (almost 3 days with no sleep). They gave me the epidural and I instantly felt NOTHING. Nothing. I feel asleep within moments, and woke-up with an intense need to take a poop. I was dreaming about pooping it was so intense. The doc said that I didn't need to poop, I needed to push!

Finally relaxing, due to the epidural, was what finally allowed me to completely dilate and avoid a C-Section.

I'm telling you, the oral/IV meds did nothing. The epidural took about 4 seconds to go in, and they did it inbetween contractions. It was easy, even for someone being induced, with no sleep. If you want pain relief, the epidural is the only way.

The oral/IV might take the edge off, a tiny bit, but I didn't notice a difference at all.

When I first went into labor, they told me I was having REAL and full contractions, 3 minutes apart, but I wasn't dilated at all. They couldn't even break my water because my cervix was too tight. They gave me ambien to help me sleep, and MORPHINE. The combination did nothing.

(to clarify, so this story makes sense, I went into labor on my own, but after 3 days of no progression and dilating only to 4cm, they tried pitocin. So "induced" may not be the right word, but they were trying to help me progress).

Last edited by beamermarie; October 18th, 2014 at 07:38 AM.
October 26th, 2014, 03:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I had the same experience with the iv medication. If you are going to go with pain medication, they don't do anything more than slightly mute it for an hour maybe? And I mean slightly, the second dose has no effect. We're talking take the pain of a stubbed toe away when the whole leg is broken kind of mute. The only reason to use it is because you are hurting too much and the doctor is being picky about the epi for one reason or another. For me, I was in labor for a day and a half with full blown contractions and no dilation. They couldn't get the hook in to break my water, and couldn't give the epi without the water being broken I think for insurance reasons. I had been induced due to low fluid and a sleepy baby. The only way I was getting relief was to dilate or call a c section. The ob wasn't quite ready to call it yet. if it helps, my second induction was much quicker. The epi, once allowed, I didn't even notice. I was in so much pain by that point I didn't notice anything. And once it was working, I was free. It was amazing. The only thing you feel during an epi, is the initial sting of the numbing needle. Then the next thing you feel is like someone pressing their thumb down on your spine. That is it. Might feel slightly cold right after, and then the pain dissipates. They are amazing at waiting for you to he ready to do the shot. And it's just a very small iv tube left in. Nothing you will feel. **if you choose to go med free, that's great. But if you want pain relief, don't let fear of the actual procedure be the reason why you suffer. It's really not the big scary thing it's cracked up to be.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search