Hospital, Birth Center, Home- which did you choose?

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By jessmgt
  • 1 Post By moxiemommie
  • 1 Post By neon
  • 1 Post By Nine Births Childbirth Services

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 3rd, 2013, 11:01 AM
Veteran
Which one did you choose? Why? What did you appreciate, what would you do differently?

I am NOT a troll, and I sincerly hope that we can keep this thread kind & mannerly, as I have a feeling it could bring up some conflicts (since I'm asking for personal experiences)- PLEASE, let's respect each other. I am beginning ttc, and am trying to get info before pregnancy hormones take control of my body LOL I know people who've had great experiences with both hospital & birth center, dont know anyone with a homebirth.

FWIW- I'm already leaned toward a hospital because they have the equipment/manpower to take care of an emergency. My SIL had an emergency, & the hospital staff saved the baby's life as I watched.
October 4th, 2013, 10:51 AM
#6 otw for us:)
I have delivered three babies so far in a hospital but with midwives everytime. I am due with number 4, but because I'm having my tubes tied same day as delivery I have an ob this time around, first time for everything!
there are a few things to take into consideration when deciding between home hospital or birthing center:
High or low risk pregnancy
early or on time baby
Pain meds wanted or needed
Ammount of medical intervention you want/need
Etc
This is when its time to write out how you want birth to go if everything goes as expected...
hospitals DO have equipment and staff avail just in case something doesn't go right, however women have been birthing babies long before hospitals were in existance...
It really is your decision!
good luck!
blaundee likes this.
October 4th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Veteran
Thanks Yes, women have been doing it a long time, but it can still be dealy for mom & baby... I always insist on being on hand, available to help my livestock when they are close to their due dates, even though millions of animals are born each year without help- I'd rather be available to help and not be needed, than to be needed & not be there. However, I also don't mess with the animals unless I think that they are in trouble. That is exactly the sort of delivery I would like to have- be left aone until I ACTUALLY needed or wanted something, but that if a trouble arose both I & baby would have immediate, excellent life saving care.
October 5th, 2013, 11:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I chose to have my babies in a hospital, just in case something serious happened, but I chose natural birth. ( no pain meds/epidural, was able to deliver vaginally- I was very fortunate )
blaundee likes this.

October 12th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Regular
I had a natural birth in a hospital and it was wonderful. I would have preferred a birth center but there are none around here (rural location) and my insurance didn't cover a home birth. I am so pleased with the experience and really couldn't have asked for anything better, the nurses and midwife at the hospital were amazing.
blaundee likes this.
November 22nd, 2013, 04:34 PM
When I was pregnant in 2008, I had started seeing a family doctor. As the story goes, I was not able to tolerate the prenatal vitamins. Because I felt uncomfortable taking the vitamins, I asked the doctor how I would get important things like folic acid through my daily diet. Her answer was that she had not studied nutrition that much in medical school. This was a big red light for me and really got me thinking about my choice of caregiver.
When thinking about a place of birth, I think a lot of the answer resides with your choice of caregiver. After meeting with some home birth midwives, I was really taken aback by the level of care. It was totally different than I anything I had ever experienced. I never felt rushed. I felt like I was cared for as an individual. And most importantly, I felt cared for. Geez…this seems like a novel idea any more with health care, but I truly felt cared for by my home birth midwife.
My decision to birth at home came after a lot of soul searching about what felt right in my heart. I think this is the best way to answer the questions you have regarding your pregnancy and as a parent. You have to operate from your heart, intuition and good sense. When you do this, I feel as though parents are better prepared for the uncertainty of birth, parenting and ultimately life.
blaundee likes this.
December 17th, 2013, 11:45 AM
rachelc0's Avatar Veteran
both boys were born in a hospital with an OB. i was worried about a home birth that something wrong might happen, so just being in the hospital made me feel better.

also with Kale, having that lactation nurse there helped IMENSLEY!

April 7th, 2014, 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaundee View Post
Which one did you choose? Why? What did you appreciate, what would you do differently?

I am NOT a troll, and I sincerly hope that we can keep this thread kind & mannerly, as I have a feeling it could bring up some conflicts (since I'm asking for personal experiences)- PLEASE, let's respect each other. I am beginning ttc, and am trying to get info before pregnancy hormones take control of my body LOL I know people who've had great experiences with both hospital & birth center, dont know anyone with a homebirth.

FWIW- I'm already leaned toward a hospital because they have the equipment/manpower to take care of an emergency. My SIL had an emergency, & the hospital staff saved the baby's life as I watched.
I will definitely choose hospital. not just because they are equipped with the latest apparatus but because outside the hospital there are lots of pharmacy that if the hospital don't have stocked medicine, then you can buy there as soon as possible

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search