Recovery from vaginal scars

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 10th, 2006, 07:37 AM
AnnaBananasMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had my DD five months ago, and DH and I have still only been able to DTD twice...barely. I had second degree tearing during the birth, but for some reason, I still don't feel like I've recovered. It doesn't just hurt a little, it's downright unbearable. I have been to the doctor...two different ones actually...and both have said that everything looks fine. Last time I was examined, though, I blacked out right there in the office twice! I know a lot of women say it hurts for a while, but this is not normal pain. I keep convincing myself that it's not so bad and I can get through it, but next thing I know my ears are ringing and the room is going black.

I have gone online to see if there is anything like what I'm experiencing out there. The only things I've read on how to fix it sound absolutely horrible...surgery, injections that kill the nerves around the scars, etc. I was just hoping to hear some success story somewhere about a woman who overcame especially painful scarring and went on to have a happy sex life. I have yet to find any.

Video Montage of Anna's First Year
October 10th, 2006, 11:54 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
did you have just tearing or an episiotomy and a tear or what?

Its actually not all that uncommon, and my suggestion would be to find a good oil (evening primrose works, but there are also others that you can use) and start doing perineal massages. Many people use them in preparation for labor, but these work wonders post partum esp for painful scarring. Youll likely feel where the scar is if you havent been able to already, and just gently massage it every so often. Eventually, you should see some relief.

I hope that helps. You could do this yourself or you could have DH do it, and make it an intimate encounter. Be aware - it may be painful at first, and take some time to get used to, but it will get better with time. Just be gentle.

If you need, I can post some specifics on perineal massage if you arent already familiar with it

Good luck,
lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
October 10th, 2006, 02:30 PM
No episiotomy. Just tearing. Which is weird since she was only 5 lbs 9 oz!

October 10th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Could have had a lot to do with her presentation though - a lot of people automaticlaly think big baby = tear, and little baby = no tear. So not true A big baby in a good position with mom in a good pushing position can easily come through with no tears, yet you can put a little baby in a bad position and/or mom in a bad pushing position, and voila - a tear.

Laying on your back with feet up is the position MOST likely to cause tears. Unfortunately, its also the position most women in hospitals are encouraged to push in unless they request & insist otherwise.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
October 12th, 2006, 12:38 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh wow! I am so sorry! Have you thought of seeking out a midwife to do an exam and get a different caregivers take on it?

October 15th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Veteran
*peeking in*

I know someone who had something very similar and her doctor suggested physiotherapy. It has worked wonder for her.
October 18th, 2006, 03:42 PM
~* LiSa *~
Quote:
I had my DD five months ago, and DH and I have still only been able to DTD twice...barely. I had second degree tearing during the birth, but for some reason, I still don't feel like I've recovered. It doesn't just hurt a little, it's downright unbearable. I have been to the doctor...two different ones actually...and both have said that everything looks fine. Last time I was examined, though, I blacked out right there in the office twice! I know a lot of women say it hurts for a while, but this is not normal pain. I keep convincing myself that it's not so bad and I can get through it, but next thing I know my ears are ringing and the room is going black.

I have gone online to see if there is anything like what I'm experiencing out there. The only things I've read on how to fix it sound absolutely horrible...surgery, injections that kill the nerves around the scars, etc. I was just hoping to hear some success story somewhere about a woman who overcame especially painful scarring and went on to have a happy sex life. I have yet to find any. [/b]
Hi, I'm a lurker!

I wanted to let you know that after my first daughter was born (I needed 8 stitches with 2nd degree lacerations), I couldn't sit for over a week. I had to lay on my side because of the pain. Six weeks later, when DH and I tried to DTD, it hurt so bad I had him stop. It was like this for the next year. I don't know if it was me, being so small and having such a tramatic thing happen "down there" but I'm happy to report that it only lasted that first year. Even after my second and third child, I was fine six weeks after the birth. So there is hope for you, it just might take a while for your body to fully recover. GL!
October 27th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Veteran
Send a message via MSN to CharmieCM
I would get some arnica oil (you can order in online at www.birthsupplies.com) and take some time to yourself, find that scar and gently massage the arnica into the scar tissue. As it's obviously very sensitive to the touch right now, start very gently, maybe just 30 seconds and with a very soft touch. Work up to having the scar tissue sandwiched between your finger and thumb (assuming it's perineal) and massing the scar from both sides, working to break down the scar tissue. It's possible that what's happened is a nerve has gotten trapped near the surface of the scar tissue and that tissue will have to break to allow the nerve to embed itself deeper into the tissue.

When you are more comfortable, you can invite DH to massage also, still with the arnica oil. Be sure to tell him that this may or may not lead to DTD, depending on how things feel down there.
October 28th, 2006, 07:51 AM
Ah yes, arnica oil is great!

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!

</a>
October 29th, 2006, 09:37 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I would get some arnica oil (you can order in online at www.birthsupplies.com) and take some time to yourself, find that scar and gently massage the arnica into the scar tissue. As it's obviously very sensitive to the touch right now, start very gently, maybe just 30 seconds and with a very soft touch. Work up to having the scar tissue sandwiched between your finger and thumb (assuming it's perineal) and massing the scar from both sides, working to break down the scar tissue. It's possible that what's happened is a nerve has gotten trapped near the surface of the scar tissue and that tissue will have to break to allow the nerve to embed itself deeper into the tissue.

When you are more comfortable, you can invite DH to massage also, still with the arnica oil. Be sure to tell him that this may or may not lead to DTD, depending on how things feel down there.[/b]

What a great recommendation! I never thought to use it for that. But I use it for my kids when they are hurt. Thanks....I am filing that one away!

October 30th, 2006, 04:16 PM
I have never heard of arnica oil. Thanks for the recommendation! I went to the doctor, and she prescribed me some estrogen cream to massage and stretch myself with. I'm supposed to do this for about a month. If that produces no results, I'll try that. Thanks!

October 31st, 2006, 02:55 PM
sara~b's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to sara~b
My daughter was almost 9 pounds and came so quickly that the doctor did the episiotomy without my consent. I was cut from vagina to rectum (sorry if TMI). I still have lumps of scar tissue and had pain up until a few months ago. I think the best thing is to take lots of baths, massage the area with lotions and oils, and also just DTD! I know how painful it is but it helps to stretch it out and loosen it up. I felt like a virgin all over again at first because I was stitched up so tight (sorry TMI again) but sex will help to soften the scar tissue. Just use lots of lubrication. GL.

Running for my health and sanity!
PR's: 5k-25:05 (old PR 25:10), 5M-45:03 (old PR - 47:22), 10k - 52:00 (approximate - training), HM-2:25:58 (ran a 2:17:36 during marathon), Full- 4:49:25 (old PR -5:49:40), 50k-7:05:56, 50M-13:31:14, 100k- 18:59:31 (old PR 20:56)
(All of these PR's are going down this season!)

My Pregnancy Chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1c6297

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search