Opinions please?

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 14th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Brittainy412's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My Friend In due mid November this is her first preg.. Not quite full term. She has gone to L&D 6 times in the last two months. She says she's been in labor, but they haven't given her any meds to prevent preterm labor. She hasn't mentions effacing or dialating. She has the same doctors as I do, and I know that they do give the meds out (I was on them for 2 months) Because She has always had to 1 up me, I don't know how to take it. Part of me thinks that if she had really been in labor, they would have kept her in L&D, or given her meds to stop it or something. From what she tells me they just wait until the contractions slow and send her home. She says that they aren't going to stop Labor if it happens again even though she isn't yet full term. I guess I just want to know what others think may be going on. I'm not there with her I don't know if the doctor's have told her this or what. I want to be there for her, but I don't know if I can give her my full support until I feel like I know what's really going on. She's one for medicating, always has been, (To a fault sometimes) I know I probably sound mean, and I don't mean to, I just need a few opinions on the whole subject. Do you think she has actually been in labor or just painful BH?
Member of the May 2006 Playroom</span></div></div><div align="center">Wanting to Concieve, but Waiting to Try</div><div align="center">Don't like the Police? Next time you are in trouble...Call a crack head!</div><div align="center">A Very Warm THANK YOU to Fingerscrossed for this beautiful signature graphic.</div><div align="center"><div align='center'></div></div>
October 15th, 2006, 12:12 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
To me it sounds like she has a really active excitable uterus. Just rubbing her tummy she could be rubbing up contractions. I have had women who just seem to be in early labor all the time. It is a pain for them...but it doesn't change their cervix so they find ways to get through.

And it seems she is paying really close attention to every sensation. She needs to not pay attention to them until they require her attention. But this is her first pregnancy and in our current birth culture this is hard. We are told that any pain in pregnancy is labor related and that we should rush to the hospital for it. Pregnancy is not a comfortable time for most women. But some handle it better than others. It is all in the way you look at it. She may also be scared of labor if she is rushing to the "helpers" with every little twinge.

Sounds to me that they are monitoring her to say nope not in labor go home. Also the reason the toning contractions/braxton hicks stop once in the hospital is because her adrenaline is up and racing. This adrenaline is counter productive to what causes contractions regardless of whether they are labor or toning contractions.

Her caregivers know she just needs to be told she is fine and then they can send her home. I have a feeling she will probably go over her EDD *IF* they don't induce her!

October 16th, 2006, 06:39 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
Sounds like BH to me ... I know I had painful ones off and on with my first for about 3 weeks before my EDD and then spent a full 2 days at home with them painful enough to keep me awake (mostly) before I went in to the hospital. I thought about going in earlier, but really I felt no need, it was manageable and I knew I would be a lot more comfortable at home than I would be in the hospital!

I agree with one of the above, being her first it sounds like she is a little scared and nervous, which is understandable - but I hope for her sake she can relax a little, she's got a long month ahead still!

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
October 16th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Brittainy412's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks, I think I can understand a bit better now... I just wasn't like that with mine... Heck I didn't want to deliver until the day beofre I had him, I finally said Ok Will you can come out in the next week please. I also stayed at home for most of my labor.

She was in L&D last night. Thought her water had broke (around 8:30p) I was there from 9-1 with her. The nurses said the water hadn't broken. (Amniotic Sac is still in tact) They also told her that she wasn't yet in labor, kept her for the remainder of the night and sent her home.

She still swears up and down though, that the fluid wasn't urine... Who knows though maybe she is right. I just hope she finds ways to occupy herself until the time comes. Poor thing is having contractions though.

As to an excitable uterus I really think this is the case as all of this happened right after sex.

I remember when I thought my water had broken, I guess when or if it happens it will dawn on her that it actually was urine (unless you know of other fluids that leak after sex)

Maybe she should lay off the sex and allow the baby to finish up in there.... I know its now what you want to hear when you are just entering your 9th month though.
Member of the May 2006 Playroom</span></div></div><div align="center">Wanting to Concieve, but Waiting to Try</div><div align="center">Don't like the Police? Next time you are in trouble...Call a crack head!</div><div align="center">A Very Warm THANK YOU to Fingerscrossed for this beautiful signature graphic.</div><div align="center"><div align='center'></div></div>
October 16th, 2006, 11:06 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It might not have been pee but discharge. But if it were her water they would know. Remind her that towards the end we have lots of stuff coming out of us. I also thought my water must have broken with my first. It wasn't pee but a really thin discharge (TMI). This is probably what she experienced.

And YES sex is a big instigator of uterine activity! It releases oxytocin and with the growing amount of oxytocin receptors appearing on her uterus she is bound to have contractions. Remind her of that. This is actually a good thing. Tell her it is a confirmation for her that her body knows what to do. That after sex to calm them down she can take a long bath and relax. And she may want to have sex earlier so she can get them to subside before bedtime.

Keep trying to be her voice of reason. Remind her that she is not dense. She will know when it is time!

October 29th, 2006, 06:37 AM
I had some preterm labor with my first because of dehydration.

Make sure she is drinking enough.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search