"Methods"

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 27th, 2006, 09:18 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
did you, do you, or will you rely on a "method" when you are in labor?

What is/was your experience if you did?

Do you think methods fail people or people fail at the methods when they end up not working for whatever reason?

If you have yet to go into labor, and plan to use a method, what is your plan if your "method" doesnt work (whatever it may be).

If you dont rely on a method, no worries - Ill have questions for yall too later lol

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
October 28th, 2006, 08:23 PM
TylerJ1029's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I never relied on a method. The only thing I relied on was myself. Trusting myself and my body and what it was made to do. I think that methods fail because people fail to trust that thier method is working or fail to trust thier bodies.

November 2nd, 2006, 08:06 AM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
Do I rely on it? No.. but I do use the teachings and beliefs of a certain method: the Bradley Method

What is/was your experience if you did? After 5 babies, I can tell you that the Bradley Method is a great source of information, knowledge, encouragement, and relaxation exercises.

Do you think methods fail people or people fail at the methods when they end up not working for whatever reason? BOTH. PPL who take classes but don't do the work, who don't do their own research, and who don't practice the ideals and teachings taught - they will, most probably, fail at the method. OTOH, methods also fail ppl. Lamaze (psychoprophylaxis) has been proven to actually increase the odds of interventions, and unnecessary pain, to name 2.

If you have yet to go into labor, and plan to use a method, what is your plan if your "method" doesnt work (whatever it may be). BTW - even though I have already labored and birthed - I found that I used Ina May's teachings more than Bradley this last labor and birth - all the more backing to my belief that it is up to the PERSON to do their own research, studies, and practice practice practice.. I have no idea what I would have done without the information and knowledge that I did for the circumstances that I had.

Bellies & Babies Blogger
November 4th, 2006, 09:03 PM
*:Onei*Chan:*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *:Onei*Chan:*
I didnt use any method when I was laboring with Isobelle, and I ended up getting meds while in transition. I didnt even know I was that close!

I am using Bradley this time, so I will get back with you in a few months to let you know!

Do you think methods fail people or people fail at the methods when they end up not working for whatever reason?
I think it could go either way! I think that sometimes circumstances end up giving the mother no other choice than to stray from her method and go other routs, but I also think that sometimes mothers get so involved in their pain and forget to concentrate and they just let go of their birth plan and "method" and do not follow through with the method. But regardless of if a mother fails at her method or whatever, they are not failing in childbirth. The baby comes anyhow, and that is what is important!

If you have yet to go into labor, and plan to use a method, what is your plan if your "method" doesnt work (whatever it may be).
Well, I will either deliver at a very very small private birth center with a midwife, or at home so if Bradley doesnt "work" for me, then I guess I just get through it on gut because medication is not an option at either place! I know that everything will work out though.

</div>
November 10th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Veteran
Send a message via MSN to CharmieCM
I'll answer this with what I advise my clients...

I think relaxation is a good method, but I don't endorse any one way to relax. I encourage mothers to know what it feels like to be relaxed and to explore what helps them relax even in the midst of pain. I encourage them to evaluate WHO as well as what helps them relax. I made the mistake of using Bradley for my first birth when my husband is NOT who I want near me during labor and I'd rather just be alone. That made it really hard on him because he had expecations and I had expectations and we both felt really disappointed in each other becuase we didn't meet each other's expectations. What a great feeling to leave a birth with, huh?

So I encourage moms and dads to talk about those expectations before labor and I encourage moms to allow dads to become dads in the way that they are most comfortable becoming a dad...just as they would never want me to tell THEM what to do during their labor, I encourage moms to not tell their husbands how they are to act/what they are supposed to do at the birth...

If I had to choose one method that I subscribe to, it's "birthing from within" because she advocates birthing in awareness (ie not being drugged or hypnotized) and she gives lots of different techiniques to try to see what helps you relax and let go the most. I also love that she mentions the importance of letting go. So many methods give moms a sense of control: "if I just X, then everything will be okay/my birth will be painless." I also like that she doesn't LIE TO MOTHERS and tell them that her method will result in a painless birth.

I have a very low transfer rate for pain meds, so I guess it works. My clients and their husbands report a high satisfaction level with their births and I've had husbands and wives see sides of each other that they never knew existed (in a good way!!). I used this method of just knowing how to relax and listen to my body with my second birth and my husband and I both left the birth with a much higher satisfaction level. Interestingly, in the second labor I relied on him much more for support (mostly physical support) than I did in the first labor, where he was supposed to be "coaching" me (I HATE that word!).

I think methods fail to realize that people are different and diverse and unique and that the family relationships are in a state of constant flux during pregnancy and birth. I also think methods focus too much on thinking and not "losing it" during labor. I would never, EVER, say a mother failed at her birth. Methods fail people. People don't fail to birth by the "right method."
November 12th, 2006, 02:39 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I love your answers Charmie!!!

I got this question from the Birthing from Within class I took
Id recommend it to anyone

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search