Strep B question

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 28th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to chelly Send a message via Yahoo to chelly
I was step b positive when I was pg with my DD 2 years ago. I assume I am still positive. I have been looking online to find out if the "germ" goes away or is permanent but I have found nothing stating that info.
I was wondering if once you have it, if you always have it?
When I was induced with my DD they gave me iv antibotics though I ended up in a c-section I am trying for the vbac this time, even though I will prob get antibotics I am still concerned that I could pass it to the baby. I was reading online that there is a chance that she could already have contracted it even before birth. Is that true, and if so how? I am reading that if she contracts it that its a very high mortality rate.
I am just wondering if anyone has any info or experiences themselves.
When I had my DD the docs acted like strep b was no big deal, they wouldnt give me any info they just said "you'll get antibotics during labor, everything will be fine". They never told me anything else.
Sometimes I think I need to stop reading so much! Its freaking me out...LOL
October 28th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Veteran
Send a message via MSN to CharmieCM
Okay, first you should know that GBS is just a certain strain of bacteria that is sometimes in the body naturally, just like staph or step are in our bodies. The only time GBS is a problem is when there is a COLONIZATION of GBS, which means that there are a lot of GBS bacterias living together in your vagina. The GBS test does not test for a single bacteria (because nearly 80% of women have GBS bacteria in their vaginas), but for an overgrowth or colonization of the bacteria.

Just because you were colonized at the time of your last test doesn't mean that you are still colonized at this moment, or that you will be at the next test. Heck, just because you were colonized at the last test doesn't mean that you were colonized at the time your daughter was born, even! One of the big issues with this test is that it doesn't give a definite answer: one week a mom can have a colony and the next week not, or vice versa (which means that sometimes that "negative" mothers can still have sick babies).

There are actually four factors that contribute to a higher risk for the baby to contract GBS:
1. Mom has + GBS test
2. Mom goes into labor at or before 37 weeks gestation
3. Mom has prolonged rupture of membranes
4. Mom pushes for a long time (ie baby is in the vagina for a long time...usually defined as over two hours)

As you can see, the test result is only one part of a much bigger picture.

As for babies who do contract GBS, I'm not sure how it would be contracted in utero and I've never read that before, so I can't answer that. What I do know is that there are two different kinds of GBS infection in newborns: early and late onset. Early onset is usually attributed to mother and it appears within 24 hours of birth. It's a very serious infection and definitely needs to be treated as such. Babies who contract GBS will exhibit signs of respiratory struggle and failure shortly after birth and will need to be in NICU and get massive doeses of antibiotics. Late onset is of an unknown origin (though I have my theories, of course), and manifests at 7-14 days after birth. It is still serious, but not AS serious.

Of all mothers, .5% of babies born will contract early onset GBS. Of mothers who test postive for GBS, 2% of babies will contract the disease. Because of a .5% to 2% risk, 33% of laboring mothers in the US get IV antibiotics, which can cause thrush and make nursing difficult or impossible, and which contributes greatly to antibiotic resistant strains of bactera.

There has been a study that shows HibiClens kills GBS bacteria. For this reason, I use hibiclens instead of KY in my practice and I inform my clients that if they are concerned about GBS infection, a low douche with hibiclens might be a good idea, as it is the ONLY thing that has been proven to kill the bacteria prenatally (the IV ABX don't kill it, only go to baby to help baby have protection).
October 28th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Julz81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Julz81 Send a message via Yahoo to Julz81
I had it with my son, and got the IV when I was induced. My dr told me at the first appt. that i could or could not have it.. But last week when I went I do have it again. But a simple iv at delivery will stop the baby from getting it.

BFP: 04/03/2014 EDD: 12/15/2014 HB: 04/30/14 (75bpm) MC: 5/2/2014 (natural)

October 31st, 2006, 07:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to chelly Send a message via Yahoo to chelly
Thanks for the info.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search