Induction of labor

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 16th, 2006, 06:10 AM
VoodooGirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to VoodooGirl
Where your other babies large babies at birth?

I havent ever been induced and I have gone overdue with all three of my children. My last pregnancy with my son I went ten days over. I think you should do what you think is right for you and your baby. You said you trust your doctor and he is probably giving you good advice and the most important thing at the end of it is that you and your baby are both healthy.
November 16th, 2006, 07:18 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Remember 3rd trimester ultrasounds cna be off by as much as 3 lbs. ive seen them off by 2 lbs several times - and they almost always guess that theyre bigger than they really are.

What are your other babies sizes? Thats a better indicator than an u/s according to studies even.

(((Hugs))) Trust your gut - your body is NOT going to grow a baby too big for your body. Even if the guess is right, babies dont have steady growth in the 3rd trimester & thrres NO way to tell how much your baby will gain b/w now & your due date. not to mention -d elivering now could pose some serious complications especially if yoru body tends to take a little longer to grow a baby. You havent gone into labor yet for a reason - your baby needs this time for development. Would your baby survive? Almost certainly, yes. But you may end up with a baby in the NICU who would have been just fine staying in a little longer if not full term.

Personally - I dont see any reason to induce. A GUESSTIMATE of what the weight is going to be off of a method of measurement with a high error margin isnt a good reason in my personal opinion. An induction so early has a lot of risks, and when you look at the risk of an induction vs. the benefit of delivering early - well I just cant see it myself. i dont see much benefit in delivering this early. Plus - there seem to be very few risks that are not very likely in just waiting for your body... even if you go overdue, the risks are minimal if any - yet there are some pretty significan risks which have a high likelihood of occuring if you proceed with an early elective induction.

JMO.

Now, thats not to say all inductions are horrible or fail - they dont - many succeed & many go great. But, the odds arent in your corner so to speak.

I also tend to look at worst case scenarios - worst case scenario with an early induction - cesarean with a baby in the NICU or worse (post partum hemmorrhage due to prolonged use of pitocin associated with a failed induction, etc). Worst case scenario for staying pg as long as your body needs? You have a trial labor, and after giving your baby & body every chance, youre one of the very VERY few women who grew a baby too big (usually only occurs with GD or other outside factors BTW), and you have a cesarean - BUT - you can rest assured your baby is full term, got the benefits of labor so theres less chance of respiratory distress from the cesarean, and you get to take your baby home with you b/c its not in the NICU on oxygen.

Best case scenario for both?
Early induction - the U/S was accurate for once, and you have a 6 lb baby, your baby is well enough to go home with you & avoid the NICU & all goes well.
Letting yoru body go into labor on its own? You have a happy healthy baby just like your other two

Youve done this twice now - your other two were fine & you were fine You just grow babies longer - lots of us do! Harvard medical studies show the average gestation is NOT 40 weeks btw, - its 41 weeks and 1 day. Hang in there... its not nice to fool mother nature

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
November 16th, 2006, 09:02 AM
abigailsilva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would have to wholeheartedly agree. There's no real reason to induce, they cannot guarantee that those U/S were even close to accurate, and babies know when they need to be born, I think you and your baby would be better off letting it come naturally. I've done induction, and it sucked. I was one of the lucky ones who didn't end up with a cesarean, but the doc tried to get me to agree to one....I labored for seventeen hours with pitocin. EXCRUCIATING pain. I caved and got the epidural and pushed her out 2 hours later. Me and her father were both nearly ten pounds at birth, and she was only 7.9. I was induced two days past my due date, so I just know she didn't cook long enough.

Bottom line, bar extreme cases, interventions are NOT good for babies. Pitocin is likely to cause fetal distress, you are more likely to get the epi with pitocin, and the epi can also cause fetal distress along with wacked out blood pressure in teh mother leading to emergency c-section. Let you little one cook, and I'm sure you'll both be fine.
November 17th, 2006, 06:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to chelly Send a message via Yahoo to chelly
They induced me after going 10 days over my due date....they had changed my due date 4 times in my 2nd and 3rd trimester, all based on u/s. When I had the estimate u/s they said she was over 8lbs, 2wks later they induced and I ended in a c-section, and she was 6lbs 4oz.
In my opinion unless there is a dire need for an induction, for example, my sil was induced at 35wks, her son kicked so hard he broke the bag of waters, they induced, that was ness.
Just b/c they say the baby will be big is no reason. I think it is uness. putting you and your baby at risk. I have been noticing through research and such such an increase in inductions, OB's just dont seem to have "time" anymore to let nature take its course.
Thats just my experience and my opinion.
I truely regret not letting my DD come on her own.

Also, when I switched docs, he wants to send me for one of those u/s, but he told me he is mainly going to base the size of this one on the size of my DD, he just wants to see whats going on.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search