Why have Labor?

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 17th, 2006, 05:49 AM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
This is a brainstorming thread for us to become creative and put some thought into the purpose of labor. Why, do you think, do we have labor? Why not just have the baby? Posting links to articles is cool, but I really want YOUR THOUGHTS. It can be physical reasons, emotional, mental, spiritual, etc...

Bellies & Babies Blogger
November 17th, 2006, 06:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to chelly Send a message via Yahoo to chelly
Personally, for me I think its an emotional thing. Its like one last prep to be a parent. If you can *live* through this you can raise a child.
Does that make sense?
November 17th, 2006, 04:13 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with the previous poster. I also think that it helps us to see it for what it is & be thankful. Also - its our way of making it all worthwhle. Nothing worthwhile comes easy. Nothing. If it was easy, then we wouldnt be as thankful. Kinda like when youre given a car - youre like great - youre happy you have the car. But when you have to work for it, pay for it, etc - then you appreciate it that much more & take better care of it.

Also - the scientific side of me realizes all the physical aspects that it entails. It gives the baby hormones - the mother hormones. The hormones in labor give the mom those loving , motherly feelings. It helps her fall in love with the baby. Studies are now showing that pitocin in labor is preventing the natural release of oxytocin. Pitocin doesnt cross the blood brain barrier though, so it doesnt provide you with the same psychological effects as oxytocin does when produced naturally. When yoru body releases oxytocin naturally you get that gaga feeling - falling in love - its the same hormone we release with sex & orgasm after all (and why women relate sex & love so strongly). So now these studies are showing moms arent getting those feel good lovey dovey feelings when they get pitocin & their body doesnt release oxytocin. And - then they end up with more postpartum depression, a harder time bonding with the baby, etc.

Neat stuff huH? I really really believe if NOTHING else, its meant to make us be thankful & to help forge that bond & create love b/w mother & child.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
November 17th, 2006, 07:17 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh labor is a wonderful and very purposeful event in my mind. I wouldn't trade it for anything! I have seen girls become women through giving birth. It grows us and I just say that God knows what he is doing when he made the labor process. Labor is just SO very good for mamas and babies.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search