...38w6d, Contractions, Cramping....

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 21st, 2007, 09:23 AM
TattooedMama's Avatar Mama to Goose, Bean, & #3
Send a message via AIM to TattooedMama Send a message via Yahoo to TattooedMama
Side Note: I just want to say that I appreciate this so much. My other boards/groups have turned out to be REALLY catty and unhelpful. It absolutely amazes me how judgmental some people can be about the dumbest things. You ladies are always helpful and supportive.

I am 38w6d. I have gone into labor twice, once at 33 weeks - stopped with terbutaline and once last saturday - contractions 1-3 minutes apart, no progression in dilation. Since then, I have been having contractions and cramping on and off. Well, last night I had contractions all night long, strong enough to wake me up but not painful enough. This morning I woke up with cramping and contractions but again, nothing more painful than menstrual cramps. I am waiting until I can't talk through them to even consider going to the hospital (I live 3 blocks from my delivering hospital) because I don't want to be sent home again.

Do you think this is anything? Could this be an indicator of labor? Or just random, normal end of pregnancy stuff? My husband works an hour (at least) away and I am wondering if I should put my best friend and dad on standby? I don't want to waste their time or make them worry for nothing.

TIA!

x-posted to September DDC

September 21st, 2007, 11:15 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
First of all I HAVE to say I love love love your pics in your siggy!!! How AWESOME THEY ARE!!!

Ok, second - heres my guess: from past experience of my own & with doula clients... do you know the position of the baby?

Its entirely possible this is the start of something. Unfortunately, even dilation & cervical changes at this point may not be an indication of anything.

This type of prodromal (sp?) (aka start again stop again) labor though, is usually very common esp in women who have babies not quite in a good position yet & their body is working to change that. Those contractions can be strong enough to encourage baby to get situated in a good spot, but theyre NOT quite strong enough to get the baby HERE. And finally - you usually end up wiht a very frustrated, disappointed mom who is constnatly at the hospital thinking shes in labor only to be sent home discouraged, let down, and eventually losing trust in herself & her capability to do this. And of course, at some point we start thinking "HOW on earth am I going to know when it IS time? Is it EVER going to be time? Does my body even have a CLUE what its doing?!"

Luckily, there are some things you can do to find out if this is in fact whats going on and things you can do to help the process along.

First - check out spinningbabies.com - it will give you some tips to see for yourself by feeling what position the baby is in. Dont worry if you dont get it right the first time or if youre simply unsure. It takes a lot of practice & most OBs arent even taught how to tell by feel. But it might give you a good indication and some babies are easier to tell with than others.

Second - try some simple exercises: each day - in the morning and at night at a minimum - try doing pelvic rocks. There are instructions on the spinningbabies website as well. Do about 20 a night, slowly. Try squats, and do kegels while youre at it

In the meanwhile, be sure youre hydrated. Get a gallon jug or so of water, fill it up each morning. Do some math with the ounces - make sure youre drinking half your body weight in ounces of water (if you weigh 200 for the ease of math - drink 100 ozs of water). Its a lot - but it will help eliminate confusion about which contractions are from dehydration & which ones are "prep" contractions preparing your body, baby & cervix for the real thing.

Make sure youre eating well, especially protein - 75 to 100 grams of protein per day will help esp in these last few weeks when rapid brian develolpment is happening & the baby is demanding the most protein.

Finally - change what youre doing when they start happening. If you are up and about - lay down. If your laying down - get up & move. Take a shower or bath. Eat, drink water, etc.

If all those things still arent working - but you can still talk through them, plop down & put on a good movie. Distract yoruself for the time being. Sit indian style, do pelvic rocks, sway on a birthing ball - all things that will help give baby some room to move.

IN a week or so if youre doing all this & youre still having this stop again start again labor - honestly I would suggest seeing a chiro to help w/ positioning of the baby. Your baby just might be one of those that is waiting until its time to settle in esp cnosidering you had some early onset of labor & your body & baby could be smart enough to know that if he settles into a good position NOW that your body will simply go on into labor & if its too early - your baby wont move yet. But a good chiro who specializes in pg women can definitely help

Good luck, I hope that helps! Keep us posted!

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
September 21st, 2007, 03:01 PM
TattooedMama's Avatar Mama to Goose, Bean, & #3
Send a message via AIM to TattooedMama Send a message via Yahoo to TattooedMama
Thank you for the pic compliments, I model and those pics are my motivation to get back in shape after my little monkey is born.

Second, your post was SO helpful and I will definitely check out spinningbabies.com. He is head down, was at a -2 a week ago but is face up...maybe my body is trying to flip him over? I have NST's twice a week and she checks his position for me via U/S...as of Wednesday he was still face up. Where can I buy a birthing ball?

Thank you again!

September 21st, 2007, 03:20 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ahh yes - just as I suspected - posterior!!! Thats your answer!!!

Your body is definitely trying to encourage little one to turn, but remember, sometimes they have a method to their madness... I suspect it may bey our body's way of keeping him in until hes truly ready

You can get a ball at walmart or any place that sells fitness equipment, its really much the same as a yoga or exercise ball. Get one you can sit on easily & adjust the air so that its comfortable.

Also, avoid crossing your legs (if you even still can!) and arch your back when you sit. Tailor sitting (sitting indian style) is especially important as is sitting on the birth ball to help turn posterior babies.

Dont get too worried though - both my babies were posterior & i had that same labor youre having - on again off again. With my first I didnt know as much and never tried to turn him (didnt even know i could). He was born face up after less than 5 mins of pushing. Luckily I had a dr who didnt insist on me laying flat on my back with feet in stirrups (which is the WORST way to deliver a baby and ESPECIALLY a posterior baby).

My second - I did EVERYTHING to turn her. I had a home water birth and so I spent a good deal of my labor on my hands & knees (my first labor I spent the whole time in the bed on my back & had KILLER back labor). I was INTENT that I was NOT going through that again!!!!

And sure enough - it helped tremendously so plan to spend some time up & about especially if this baby doesnt turn before labor begins.

My baby turned about 5 minutes before it was time to push & you could FEEL it. My MW had her hand on my tailbone & said it just went FLAT when she turned!

Again, less than 5 mins of pushing & she was out Not posterior!!!

So keep at it & itll work out The pelvic rocking will really really help. No comfy slouching for you though!!!

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search