Back Labor

Forum: Labor and Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 21st, 2005, 04:25 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Back Labor

Changing your position can help you to get your baby off of your spine.
  • *side lying with pillow between knees
    *Sitting up in the bed with your back rounded (I find that if I bring the back of the hospital beds all the way up and put the leg part down that this puts mom on this position without much strain)
    *Sit on the side of the bed and lean over on the tray table on onto a support person
    *All fours (hands knee position) You can do this in bed or on the ground. (If you lift the back of the hospital bed and lean over it you can rest your arms instead of leaning on them. If you have a birth ball you can lean over it in bed, stand besides the bed and lean on the ball...many different positions)
Movement to encourage your baby's head to rotate to the more favorable anterior position
  • *On all fours you can perform the pelvic tilt (arch your back like a kitty cat with your tail tucked under and then slump it in like a saddle shape and release the tucked bottom/tail) This exercise will massage your back and will force the heaviest part of the babies head to turn. When the back of the head is on the tail bone this causes extra pressure. The back of the baby is the heaviest part and by getting in hands and knees and tilting your pelvis the heavy part will spin around and the front of the baby's head the face will be facing the tail bone. This is called the anterior position. We want this anterior face to tail bone position. We don't want the posterior position which is the back of the baby's head to tail bone position.
    *Walking up and down stairs
    *Stand besides a chair or seat and with one foot on the chair your going to lean into the leg on the chair. This opens the pelvis. imagine that the pelvis in on hinges and the hinges open the pelvis wider with each lunge.
Counterpressure
  • *While on hands and knees or leaning over the back of the hospital bed or over the birth ball a support person can apply pressure to your sacrum. Using warm washclothes is nice for this. If you draw a V from the sides of your bottom to your crack, the point of the V is where you want to apply the counter pressure. The support person should use the heel of their hand and ask for feedback from the mother.
    *You can also use massage tools, rolling pin, cold soda cans, rice socks, etc. to give counter pressure.
Hot and Cold Therapy
  • *Warm showers or baths
    *Tupperware makes a rolling pin that you can put ice or hot water in
    *Ice packs or cold compresses
    *Heating pad, hot water bottle, microwave heat pack
To make a reusable heat pack you can put 3 cups of uncooked rice into a cotton sock and sew or tie the top closed. Microwave for 2 - 3 minutes for warm, moist heat. You can also add dried lavender or scented oils. But make sure to make atleast one unscented incase smells overwhelm you in labor. Sometimes we don't know until your in the moment.

September 21st, 2005, 08:15 PM
MamaAshley's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for sharing! I had back labor with my daughter and it's not very comforting! Thankfully I knew these techniques I learned in my doula training to help me otherwise I don't think I would have made it! (I know I woudl have but you get my drift!)

Ashley, pre-RN student, birth doula and busy SAHM to Brianne 6, Colin 5, Kylie 4,
Bryson 2,and our lil man Noah Alexander turns one year on 7/5/10!

September 22nd, 2005, 10:49 AM
I wish I had known with my first!

November 21st, 2005, 01:00 AM
ZanderZone05's Avatar Veteran
yeah - thanks a bunch! it was so horrible with zander-the last week! i thought i tried everything - and i went in and had false labor - the whole time they wouldnt let me get comfortable - they made me lay down on one side - that sucked! i was stuck like that for 3 hours!!! now i know for next time then when it was really time - i wanted so bad for no drugs - contractions werent the problem - it was my back!! but even now i have problems every once in awhile - the same spot - any ideas why? its my right side of my spine - i usually always carry him on my left hip - i would think that that would be the side that would hurt - maybe i'm wrong
Got engaged December 2004.
We had Zander May 2005.
Then Izzie December 2006.
Tied the knot June 2007.
November 21st, 2005, 01:19 PM
I would go to a chiropractor and get some xrays and adjustments...could be a lingering thing from birth and the added stress of carrying a child around. I hope you feel better!

November 21st, 2005, 10:12 PM
ZanderZone05's Avatar Veteran
true! i dont know why i didnt put it together that it could still be from that. sometimes i think its just when i need to sleep - cuz lately its been around bedtime ... so who knows! i'll call the chiro hopefully tomorrow! thanks!
Got engaged December 2004.
We had Zander May 2005.
Then Izzie December 2006.
Tied the knot June 2007.
February 10th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the info. My daughter was born last week and I ended up having to have a c-section because I couldn't dialate beyond 3cms. Baby was posterier. Definately will keep these tips in mind for next time.
February 10th, 2006, 10:04 PM
Congratulations on your new baby! I am sorry you had a tough delivery. Feel free to post with us to your hearts desire...and pick up new knowledge for the next baby. Would you share your birth story in a new post with us?

May 14th, 2006, 12:39 AM
Veteran
Hi there!

I was just wondering if there are any excercises or stretches I can do to help my baby move from my right side to the left side. She is head down and I'm 36 weeks. She was head down to the left of my belly button about 3-4 weeks ago but has decided to make the right side her new home. Anything I can do to encourage her to start moving over to the left before I go into labor? I'm hoping/planning for a natural, unmedicated birth.

Thanks!
Denise

Denise
May 14th, 2006, 06:55 PM
I have to promote the diaphragmatic release! I just think this is the coolest thing ever! And even if it sounds hooky...just give it a chance. My preceptor turned a baby within 45ish minutes! Go here to learn how to do it and if it works let ME know!
http://www.naturalchildbirth.org/natural/r...bor/labor29.htm

Also:
Crawl on the floor and do pelvic tilts.
When you have toning contractions (braxton hicks) open your legs wide and lean forward.
Keep that backbone straight so you don't create a hammock for your baby to snuggle into posteriorly.

Go to www.spinningbabies.com

And BUY Sit up and take notice: A guide to optimal feotal positioning NOW!

July 5th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Veteran
I wish I had known this with my first pregnancy too! I suffered through the whole first stages of labor with it all in my back. The hospital couldn't even help me (except for the epidural).

Happily married mom with a 10 yr old and 4 yr old kidlets
July 8th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Regular
Has anyone seen the book Back Labor No More? I heard about it through my Hypnobabies study. It is one of the recommended books. Before reading it, I thought that back labor was only caused by a posterior baby, so I'd been checking out spinningbabies and being sure I have good posture to keep my baby in the right position! I learned that there are other factors in back labor though... If someone has a back injury, it's almost guaranteed she will have back labor. The other 2 factors cited in the book are hereditary: a short torso and a sway-back posture. (Sway back is when your lower back has a little extra arch.) It explains the physiology behind back labor and helps you understand what you need to do to help the contractions push the baby past your backbone more quickly to lessen the pressure on the back.

I recognized that I have a sway back, and started wondering if that would be a problem for me, even though I have a long torso. Sure enough, I spoke with my dad's sisters over 4th of July and they all had back labor, along with my grandma. I went back and read the book more thoroughly so I'll understand a bit better. Many of the ideas for a posterior baby also take pressure off of the back, but if you think you inherited a predisposition to back labor, this book has more info that is helpful.
August 25th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to chelly Send a message via Yahoo to chelly
I wish I had known that with my 1st it could have saved me from a c-section. After reading so much, they could have easily changed her position from outside manipulation, and no one bothered to try.
August 26th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Well Chelly, that just means you have more knowledge for next time.

December 14th, 2007, 11:21 PM
KBeans's Avatar Believe in your body
Send a message via AIM to KBeans
and back labor can mean posterior baby! i didn't learn that was what my back labor pains were form until now 4 years later when retrieving my records for my VBA2C. read read read! that's all i can say, it will help in any situation to be prepared. i wish i had more about labor and birth with my first pregnancy.
˛ married to matt ˛
mommy to rick 8, christian 6, kairi 3
˛

want P90X, Hip Hop Abs, Turbo Jam, Slim in 6 and tons more? Check out my site!

3.5 years - still BFing

I &hearts; triathlon, running & hot yoga!
October 20th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Regular
I didn't experience back labor, but this info was helpful and good to know for future pregnancies.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search