unidentified growth in placenta, first trimester

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By six984

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Resources for Common Pregnancy Complications LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 2nd, 2014, 08:14 AM
Went in two days ago for my first u/s. Thought I was 7 weeks but the tech said I looked like 6. Dr. said there was a strong heartbeat and could see a fetal pole, but the was also some sort of growth from the placenta and in essence taking up space where the baby needs to grow. He said at this point they couldn't identify it...could be a blood clot, cyst, fibroid. We have to wait and see what it does. If it stays or gets bigger I'll likely have a miscarriage. If it goes away on its own I might be fine.

Has anyone had this? Heard of this? I have a followup u/s in 3 weeks but I don't know how to feel in the mean time. I'm really scared and three weeks is a long time.
February 9th, 2014, 02:21 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I'm sorry that you are dealing with this. Early in my second pregnancy I had a viability scare. I had to wait a week to get the either good or bad news (it was good) and it felt like an eternity. Three weeks must feel like an eternity too.

So the growth was from the placenta itself? I have a growth from the the myometrium (the smooth muscle that is what my uterus is made from) and at this point it would not jeopardize a pregnancy (my tubes are tied, but I asked anyway because I was curious). In fact, my uterus is really weird, and it didn't affect my pregnancies. Some uterine growths are so large/numerous that they affect implantation, but you've already passed that hurdle.

I'm not a doctor, let me be honest about that. But I've done some research for you, and I can give you that.

You can have placental cysts. If yours is where the baby is, it is under the fetal plate, under the chorion process (between the placenta and the uterus). I had a blood clot in that space, which is actually fairly common. Cysts beneath the fetal plate (where the baby is growing) are usually harmless unless they are large or numerous (which your doctor would have told you about). Seeing the baby's heart is significant - that's a big deal, m/c rates go down after that mark.

It could also be a blood clot. Subchorionic hematomas are EXTREMELY extremely common and rarely affect the pregnancy. I had one my second pregnancy. I spotted every day for 12 weeks, had to go to L&D twice for heavy bleeding, and then at 18 weeks, poof, it stopped. My son was born happy and healthy. In fact, he was part of the problem - he kept jumping on it!!!

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

February 11th, 2014, 09:02 AM
Thank you so much for your response. We are not telling anyone until the next u/s (1 w 3 days from now) comes back with good news so it has been difficult to ask if anyone faced a similar issue. The only pregnancy symptom I've been having is cramping which is scary in my situation. I also think I was so shocked at the drs office I didn't ask enough questions. I'm staying positive mostly. Hoping to hear that heart beat again next week!
May 30th, 2014, 01:07 AM
Hi there, I hope you are going to hear the heartbeat again. I will pray for that. I hope to hear from you soon.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search