Lurking/Newbie with a question

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Endometriosis

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Endometriosis LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I just googled my symptoms and came up with "sciatic endometeriosis".

Or know what causes it? Honestly, I never noticed this until I was married/sexually active/trying to conceive. Several months before getting pregnant with my son, I would notice that several days before AF was due, I would start getting cramps in my inner thighs and down my left leg...sometimes all the way down my leg to my foot.

The cycle I got pregnant with my son I'm pretty sure I didn't have this (just crapmping in my inner thighs, but not down my leg.) Since I got my post partum period and have been cycling again, I've been having this again..last month starting at 5DPO and this month starting at 3DPO.

I always take this as a sign of AF coming/not being pregnant, but honestly...how can my body even know at 3DPO that my eggo didn't get fertilized? I mean, I doubt I'm pregnant but it's just annoying to have my hopes dashed already at 3DPO. Can't my silly body let me have hope for a little while...say 10 days?
Sometimes I wonder if it's a sign of low progesterone. Ha, who knows...just wanted to throw this out there and see if anyone else ever experiences this? Have you been diagnosed with sciatic endometriosis? What are the treatments?

My Ovulation Chart
January 25th, 2010, 04:34 PM
angel3y35's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi and welcome!! To be perfectly honest I've never heard of sciatic endometriosis. I do have pain in my thighs down to a little below my knees some months. maybe that's what it is? I'm going to have to do some research on that Have you seen a doctor about it?

Thanks to :shortcake: for my siggy

Our adoption miracle born 12/31/13

06/2004 - Lap for endo and cysts
08/2006 - Lap for endo and cysts
02/2010 - Lap for endo, cysts, and hydrosalpinx repair
02/2011 - Lap for endo, cysts, and RSO
12/2011 - TAH and LSO
5/2012 - Lap for adhesions
4/2013 - Lap for adhesions
Stage IV endometriosis, sever adenomyosis, PCOS, IC
January 25th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think sciatic endometriosis is just a type of endometriosis....it's named that because that is the area that is affected, I guess.

I did talk to my doctor about the pain when we were trying to get pregnant with #1. She didn't make a big deal out of it...she ordered a 7 day progesterone test, which came back okay and a week or so later I found out I was pregnant.

I have several questions:

1) Is there a risk in leaving this untreated if it's not causing me severe pain (it's more of annoyance)?

2) How exactly does endometriosis affect fertility? Does it affect progesterone levels (I've always had an LP on the shorter end).

3)If I was able to conceive before with the same symptoms, is it pretty likely that I will be able to again, or is this something I should get checked out by a doctor (I'll NEVER be fertile myrtle, but I did have a healthy pregnacy before without medical assistance)

4) What are the treatments for endometriosis?

My Ovulation Chart
January 25th, 2010, 05:58 PM
1) Is there a risk in leaving this untreated if it's not causing me severe pain (it's more of annoyance)?I can't say yes and I can't say no Did you see the episode of House where the chick had endo? It had either moved to her heart or lungs, I can't remember which. Of course that is very very rare. I think the main reasons for treating endo are to help with the pain and fertility issues.

2) How exactly does endometriosis affect fertility? Does it affect progesterone levels (I've always had an LP on the shorter end).Depending on where it is growing it affects it different ways. If it grows on your ovary it impedes ovulation and I've read it can affect your LP. If it's on your tubes it can keep the egg from making it to the uterus. If it's on your uterus it can cause miscarriages.

3)If I was able to conceive before with the same symptoms, is it pretty likely that I will be able to again, or is this something I should get checked out by a doctor (I'll NEVER be fertile myrtle, but I did have a healthy pregnacy before without medical assistance)I would get it checked out. Pain and the severity of endo have no correlation unfortunately. Many women have undergone surgery for infertility to find out they had endo with NO symptoms. Plus you never no when it will get bad. In my opinion (which isn't worth much most of the time ) getting checked out never hurts and if you do have endo, getting something done about it will make a healthier you and bean

4) What are the treatments for endometriosis?Another one of those things that depends If you aren't TTC there's birth control and Lupron. Not all women respond to those those. The only other treatment is surgery. No surgeries are fun obviously but the lap for endo isn't bad (unless you have complications). The pain is minimal. The worst part is the fact that they have to blow you up with gas and when it's trying to get out your shoulder HURTS!!!! If it gives you any idea of how bad/not bad it is I'm working on having my 3rd. Even a hysterectomy doesn't guarantee it will go away. The only sure way to know if you have it is surgery. A lot of doctors will diagnose you with it based on your symptoms. Rarely a MRI or u/s will show it, though some doctors swear you don't have it if you can't see it.

I hope I've helped some. I've known that I've had endo for about 10 years and had 4 of researching on my own before I could find a doctor to diagnose. If you have any other questions please ask. If I can't answer someone should be able to.

12/2011 - TAH and LSO
January 25th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hmmm never saw that House episode, I'll have to ask my sister, she's addicted to House!

Okay, one more question.

Say I go to the doctor and describe my symptoms and say I'm wondering if it's endometriosis. What's the next step? Diagnostic Surgery? Isn't that a little drastic?

So there is basically nothing you can do naturally to prevent it from getting worse or help your condition/improve your fertility?

I'm starting to get freaked out.

My Ovulation Chart
January 25th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Super Mommy
Hey dere, welcome to the group....

What i noticed you saying is pain starting at 3DPO. This is a significant endo sign for me. Endo release progastilins in your pelvis which upsets the chemical balance. This can hinder or cause issues with ovulation, it can also kill the egg even when you ovulate, it can as angel said, create issues with ovulation if on your ovary. my right ovary had endo and every time around o time i would think that side was ovulating. but i was wrong. it was the endo getting activated by the hormones during ovulation.

How are your actual periods? Sorry if this is TMI , but i had premenstrual brown spoitting for 2 - 3 days before i saw red blood (apparantly CD1). Now due to this i never really knew wat cycle day i was on and i was all confused about ovulation from this.

I had a lap, stage 2 endo removed (along with a big firboid) and my first cycle was red blood on day 1 and i even spotted during ovulation this month (with the help of a HCG trigger shot). I have endo due to a uterine malformation and according to my RE have had it since i was little. I even remember going for runs when i was a teen and having horrible cramps if it was in my luteal phase. werid what you remember????

i would see a RE if you have been trying for a while. It may help you solve the pussle and mystery.

ps. my doc said to me that my instincts (that i had endo) were right. listen to your womans intuition. It will help you allieve the fear too and why waste time when its a simple procedure which will help you be super fertile?

GL sweety

Dx - unicornuate uterus - ask me, i am not shy
January 26th, 2010, 05:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, I have only had 2 periods in the last 21 months due to pregnancy and BFing. I don't usually have spotting or anything.... I did have a tiny bit of spotting before my first post-partum period.
According to my charts I am truly ovulating and have a thermal shift everything. The part about the egg being killed is scary, though!

Ima, did you only have symptoms on months when your right ovary was ovuating or all the time?
One thing I have noticed is that it seems like every other month, I notice what I would call a "weaker" ovulation pattern rather than a big temp spike on my chart. I've always wondered if this is caused by a "bad egg" or something...totally just my own theory though, I have no idea.

This is only our 2nd cycle trying for #2 (we would've liked to try sooner but there was no point due to not having AF back yet), so I'm doubtful a doctor would see me this soon... especially since I got pregnant before...I'm not sure what to do. I did tell my doctor my suspicions when we were TTC #1, but as I posted above, she didn't make a big deal out of it.

My Ovulation Chart

Last edited by wishfulgal; January 26th, 2010 at 06:16 AM.
January 26th, 2010, 06:15 AM
Super Mommy
I had ovulation pain on the right ovary EVERY month and i assumed that was ovulation cramping but it turns out to be endo. Now my endo is gone and i had a timed cycle i couldnt tell which side i was ovulating from from symptoms (though i knew it was probably my left from an u/s scan). I did read in a fertility book that your labia swells on the side you ovulate and you have some nodules in your groin which stands out on the side you ovulate.

Is it normal to not have a period during BFing? I would be concerned about that enough to have it checked out. Dont feel like you HAVE to try for a certain amount of time. just go. your health is your right.

As for the egg getting fried, i think its more that the chemicals from the endo render it useless, much like sperm in acidic CM. I also think that the tubes are attracted to the egg in a good environment and in a bad one, the tubes may not pick the egg up. that sounds better than fried eggs lol

Dx - unicornuate uterus - ask me, i am not shy
January 26th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for your response.

I do have ovulation/midcycle cramping but not on a particular side, just kind of generalized cramping usually.

Yes, it is normal to not have a period while BFing. Many women do eventually get their cycles back even while exclusively BFing, but it can be 4, 6, 8, 10 ,15 months post-partum. Others do not get AF until they quit BFing. It just depends on the woman's body. I quit BFing at 10 months to bring AF back so I could try to conceive. My mom was the exact same way, she never had her cycles return until she weaned (she has 5 kids).

I will make an appointment within the next 2-3 months if I don't conceive. I just have a feeling they are going to blow me off...

My Ovulation Chart
January 26th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Waiting probably won't hurt. Most doctors will make you wait a while anyway. We didn't mean to freak you out As for natural ways they say changing your diet can be helpful. I tried and it's way too hard for me to follow. Wheat is one thing you are supposed to avoid as well as red meat. Also soy. It has/effects estrogen. Increases in estrogen make endo worse.

12/2011 - TAH and LSO
January 26th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Super Mommy