I'm Back and Info on Clinical Trial

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Endometriosis

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By vtharvey

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Endometriosis LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 30th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Regular
Hey ladies!!! We just got back from Italy and it was a wonderful vacation!! Everything went great and it was nice to get away from the daily routine - now I just have to try to lose all the pasta/gelato weight I put on....but it was worth it!!!

When I got back, I had a voicemail from my GYN about the clinical trial she mentioned before. It is for a drug called Elagolix. I read through the packet and decided against participation for several reasons.
1) Although I experience pain, my main concern right now is doing everything I can to preserve my fertility. This drug is mainly aimed at reducing pain and the effects on fertility are unknown. At this point I am unwilling to do anything that would potentially jeopardize my ability to have children.
2) There is only a 57% chance that I would even get the drug - 43% of participants get a placebo. I understand why they do this for research purposes, but as a potential participant, I don't like those odds.
3) The study lasts for like 18 months and my DH and I were planning on TTC actively in 10 months. I am going to be 33 in January and I don't want to wait any longer than we have already decided on.

And I guess the bottom line is that I just don't feel good about it....so I'm going to go with my gut and decline. I think if I already had children I would be 100% onboard. I'm glad they are researching new drugs and treatments for endo - I feel like we are forgotten sometimes!

Hope you are all well (I need to read through the messages I missed while I was gone next!!!)
October 31st, 2012, 12:05 AM
Frozenoj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Glad you had fun on your trip! Sorry to hear about the trial not being something you are interested in. I completely understand your reasoning for declining.

Thanks Bokkechick for my wonderful siggy!
TTC Blog
10-21-12
October 31st, 2012, 11:45 AM
kerian's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
welcome back!!!!!!
we missed you. glad to hear you had so much fun!!!!!

i think you def making the right choice for you. and i always say follow your gut!!!!!

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy

October 31st, 2012, 01:02 PM
Regular
I just called my GYN to explain that I was declining and she was very supportive of my decision (I was afraid that she might try to convince me to change my mind). She understood and said that I was probably making the right decision based on my situation....so I felt much better when I hung up the phone!

My hope is that they continue to research endo and possible treatments - there are so many people who have never even heard of it (pretty much every one I have told about it had never heard of it before)....I am so happy that caused like breast cancer have gathered so much support (any time you can convince the NFL players to wera pink you know you've done it right!) and I only hope that some day endometriosis gets the same!
kerian likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search