Hi there!

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Endometriosis

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By vtharvey

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Endometriosis LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 3rd, 2012, 08:19 PM
*~~Shannon~~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not TTC, but my new doctor has begun talking about endometriosis. I was hoping to pick some brains and hoping you all might be able to help. I've had horrendously painful cramps especially at ovulation and AF pretty much since I started having periods. The only thing that helps is being on BCP and even that only helps for a few months and I have to switch again. She's a GP and can't officially diagnose anything herself, but feels my symptoms sound like endo. For now, she's prescribed naproxen to see if that helps with the pain. She's given me the option of a referral to an OBGYN she works with for testing. Now, I have to decide whether to go forward with laparoscopy. So far, I've been blessed that its never affected my fertility and we're not sure whether we'll have more kids, so it's really just about pain management. I just don't know what to do. Are there any benefits to laparoscopy besides being able to get an official diagnosis? Is there any difference in treatment between an official diagnosis and a assumed diagnosis? Anyway, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions as I have plenty of them! Thanks!

November 3rd, 2012, 11:49 PM
kerian's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
hi and welcome to the endo board!!!

the lap would def give you a solid diagnosis, and it would possibly help with the pain. unfortunately some women dont get pain free after a lap.
things might be different where you are but often times the treatment for assumed and definite diagnosis might be the same.

i would maybe meet with the OBGYN and just chat to him. he might be able to advise you on whether the lap is necessary or if you can try a different treatment.

feel free to ask any questions and hopefully some of the other ladies will pop past with their thoughts and opinions soon!

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy

November 4th, 2012, 03:00 PM
Frozenoj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That sounds a lot like me. Painful periods from the beginnings (I don't ovulate on my own so no O pain) and having to switch BC every couple of months. Sometimes I also get these pain episodes where I'm in constant pain for months at a time as well, but my doctor said my endo is pretty bad. I know after a lap the pain is much better during non-period times but I don't know if that is normal. My lap was in September 2011 and I've only just started having mid-cycle pain again.

Thanks Bokkechick for my wonderful siggy!
TTC Blog
10-21-12
November 4th, 2012, 04:27 PM
I'm so used to having constant mild cramps, I almost don't notice them now. I'd pretty well gotten to the point that they seemed "normal". That's on top of the severe cramps at ovulation and AF, and occasional cramps whenever they feel like popping up. There are a couple of specific spots that have always been more painful than others. Last month was so bad, DH wanted to take me to the ER. I couldn't stand all the way upright for about 2 days.

I'd really like to not have to go back on BCP. My mom had an estrogen based breast cancer and I'm hesitant to take hormones anymore.

November 5th, 2012, 09:16 AM
kerian's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
the cramps for me are my absolute worst. i dose myself up with painkillers just to manage to stand up.

are you gonna go see the OBGYN and see what he says?

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy

November 5th, 2012, 09:19 AM
I don't know. I suppose I probably will, but I haven't decided.

November 5th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Regular
Hey there!!! Welcome to our group!!!

I would recommend getting the lap for the following reasons:
1) My opinion is that it is always good to have a definitive diagnosis - not only do you know exactly what you have, but you can also rule out any other issues that may produce similar symptoms
2) When I had my lap, they found that the adhesions from the endo had glued my bowel to my uterus. They were able to separate the two during the lap. My doctor was 99% sure I had endo before doing the lap but she had no idea that I had the adhesions I did. Endo is such a strange disease in that some women have a ton of endo tissue but few symptoms and others have little endo tissue but significant symptoms. A lap will give you a better picture of what your endo is doing.

Hope this helps!
kerian likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search