Garden Virgin

Forum: Gardening

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gardening LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 27th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Declyn&Me's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey ladies!
i didnt even know this forum existed.
But anyhow. im planning to garden for the first time this year.
flowers and a vegetable garden.

Im wondering 1) where do i start? i have the area already over grown (an old garden) and am not sure the best way to prep the area.
then 2) can you suggest some easy to grow plants that thrive in the shade? there doesnt get alot of sun in these parts.
Then as far as the vegetable garden goes. got any tips for this? im hoping to grow carrots, cucumber, maybe even green beans. It would also be nice to grow blueberries.

any suggestions would help. Like i said, im extremely new to this.
thanks in advance!

Thank you Graysmama!!
April 27th, 2010, 06:19 PM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi, welcome.

as far as preping the area I would pull out all the weeds and overgrown stuff. You will want to till the area (loosen the soil - they have tillers you can rent at home depot or use a shovel) and probably want to add soil admendment mixed with soil already there. You can get that at your local nursery or place like home depot.

Another option is to build some raised beds because then you can put whatever kind of soil in there you want - we mixed our ground soil with compost 50/50.

Plants that I have found are easy to grow are strawberries and lettuce. Blueberries are bushes so in our yard we planted those outside of the garden bed.

If you can install a drip irrigation system it's a great way to keep the weeds down and it gives good watering consistency.

April 27th, 2010, 07:19 PM
I just notices you location, my dad grew up in NS and told me of all the wild blueberry bushes that used to be there growing up. I'm sure they must do well there. He saidno ody maintained them but they all loved eating them.

April 28th, 2010, 04:49 AM
Declyn&Me's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
yup. thats why i thought blueberries. they grow wild everywhere, i thought thats something i can keep alive
thanks for the advice!... oh one more qustion. whens the best time to start?

Thank you Graysmama!!
April 28th, 2010, 07:08 AM
Momofapeanut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just wanted to add that I find cukes and green beans do pretty good in partial sun. Both you can make grow vertical and that's how I usually do it, so you can fit alot in a small space. Especially green beans. They usually take off quickly too, seed planting these right in the ground gets you plants in a week and green beans in a few weeks. Although, you're more north than me! I do start a set inside first as well so I have beans quick once they're in the ground!
April 28th, 2010, 12:04 PM
You usually want to plant in ground once the danger of frost has passed. You can always start seedlings indoors sooner than that though. My cousin who lives in Montreal has already planted hers in ground.

April 28th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
last year was my first year experimenting with flowers, shrubs etc. (this year is my first for veggies)
in the shady areas of my yard i planted hostas(big leafy plant)and theyre lots of fun! theres SOOO many varieties and they are perrenial so once their planted you're done for years to come! lol! around the hostas i planted impatiens, which also thrive in shade. they have brightly coloured flowres all summer long-but theyre annuals so you have to replace them everyyear(which cna also be fun cause that leaves you with room to change and experiment the following year! )
April 30th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
This our first vegetable garden. We've finally been able to make the move out of town and into the country so I'm so excited to get to grown our own veggies! My family has had a garden ever since I can remember and I've been helping out since I was old enough to walk so I think we'll do well.
April 30th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Nice. Let us know how it turns out aminer.

April 30th, 2010, 05:28 PM
4wildflowers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to 4wildflowers
Good luck with your new garden!

I have the best luck with tomatoes. My squash and zucchini do well too. We tried seedlings one year and like half of them didn't make it, so now I just buy them already established in the little containers from Lowe's. We've planted the potatoes, but are doing everything else next weekend. We are still getting snow here, so I don't want to risk them dying. We also use a drip system and it makes watering the veggies SO convenient!

My kids.....
Jake 13
Shane 9
Brynne 6
Claire 4

May 3rd, 2010, 06:45 PM
melkissa2004's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
No advice from me, but welcome!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search