Newbie Question - Roses

Forum: Gardening

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gardening LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 11th, 2010, 10:30 AM
kistal1027's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi ladies! I've never posted here before, but am really starting to get into gardening and would like to learn as much as I can. My thumb is far from green, but I'm doing my best!!

I have a question for you.

There were several rose bushes planted in the flower beds around my house when we moved into it 5 years ago. I can't tell you what type they are. I've done a lot of reading on how to prune them and how to keep them healthy and they are a big reason of why I've become interested in gardening. After a lot of trial and error, I think I've got a good handle on the basics. Anyway...last fall one of the pink bushes started sprouting this enormous branch. It's the bush closest to the door to go inside and it was getting so tall that it we had to tie it down because it was getting caught in the door! I didn't think to much of it until this past week or so when it started to form buds. Now that they are opening, I realize that they are red and look absolutely nothing like the pink ones that are also on it. So, I thought maybe I was wrong and that the vine was not growing from the same bush, but just really close to it. But after a closer look, I found that it is growing directly from the same bush.

Is this normal or do I have some sort of freakish rose bush lol? Like I said, we've been here for 5 years and this has never happened before.

I suppose it's not a huge problem. In fact, I think it's really neat. I'm just wondering if anyone could give any insight on why/how it happened.

Thanks so much!!

Forever missing our Angels: 7/05 & 5/08
May 11th, 2010, 03:18 PM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Some sort of hybrid perhaps? You should post a pic. I want to see.

May 12th, 2010, 05:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
Ditto ^

May 12th, 2010, 09:38 AM
kistal1027's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I thought hybrid at first too. But according to our landlord, he planted these back in the early 90's. I wonder if it can take that long for the two different colored blooms to show up? Oh well....it is neat looking.

Here's some pics. I had a hard time getting the entire bush in one shot because I had my 50mm lens on my camera and it doesn't zoom.

In this one you can see the original pink blooms at the bottom and the red at the top.

This one is more of the crazy vine that sprouted up last season.

I couldn't get a shot of the base of the plant, but I'm 100% sure that this new vine is coming from the same bush.

Forever missing our Angels: 7/05 & 5/08
May 12th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
thats crazy! lol!! very neat though
May 12th, 2010, 02:56 PM
4wildflowers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to 4wildflowers
I have tons of rose bushes, and the same thing happened with one of mine. It is a yellow tea rose bush. One summer I noticed a branch coming from the bottom that had completely different roses on it. They are pink, and not even the same type of rose as my yellow ones. No one I've asked has any idea what's going on with it lol. Here is mine....

The yellow bush on the right. And it's just the one branch that comes out from the bottom every summer. Oh, and the pink ones only bloom once, then they are done for the summer.

Here is another shot

Here are the pink ones. They are so pretty.... I wish they'd bloom more than once!

My kids.....
Jake 13
Shane 9
Brynne 6
Claire 4

May 12th, 2010, 03:04 PM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Love the rose shots ladies. That is so werid about the ones sprouting weird branches.

May 12th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
That is so cool!

May 13th, 2010, 08:31 PM
lovinglife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The roses are beautiful, I love that they have a mind of their own and just start doing what they want.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search