New Here

Forum: Gardening

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gardening LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 7th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Pebblesbuddy
Hey Everyone! I am new to this forum but not new to JM. I am still TTC our first but I have recently started my own garden. I have mint, two tomato plants, two basil plants, Oregano, Thyme, Parsley, Cilantro and Rosemary. Here is a few questions for you.

1. They all seem to be doing well but the Cilantro has started blooming some flowers and there are ants all over it. How do I get rid of the ants? Is there something I can spray in my little garden to get rid of those bugs.

2. My rosemary, thyme, and parsley seem to grow soooo slow while everything else is growing like a weed. Is this normal?

3. Finally my basil plants are doing awesome but it looks like something is nibbling on a few of the leaves, again is there anything I can spray on them that will get rid of the bugs and not harm the plant?

Overall my little garden is doing amazing! It's been only a month and already most of the stuff is growing like crazy and I have even have a few green tomatoes that have sprouted. I love it and it seriously saves me so much money from trying to buy fresh herbs at the grocery store.

Thanks for the help ladies!
June 7th, 2010, 10:21 AM
4wildflowers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to 4wildflowers
Welcome!

I don't know much about herbs. I grow lots of veggies, but the only herb I have is basil. So far, no bugs on the basil. I had tomato worms for the first time, last season. I get those annoying squash bugs every season. I'm out of spray, but will definately be getting more this week b/c I expect those squah bugs will show up again. Unfortunately, I can't remember off the top of my head what I use, but I'm sure one of the ladies here will have a good suggestion. Usually, if you go to an actual nursery, they will be able to give you some good suggestions.

Enjoy your garden!!

My kids.....
Jake 13
Shane 9
Brynne 6
Claire 4

June 7th, 2010, 12:48 PM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome!

Herbs I usually am able to grow with little problem. I'm trying to keep my garden 100% organic this year with mixed results. I've had some bugs eating my lettuce, pumpkin, watermelon, and rubarb plants. We sprayed some water mixed with soap over all the plants. That actually worked pretty well with everything but the pumpkin. I think we lost those. That's just one idea.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search