Maintaining the vegetable garden

Forum: Gardening

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gardening LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 9th, 2010, 07:49 PM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Here is a short video (3 minutes):

National Gardening Association

Do you do any of these things?

I had a few thoughts while watching this. First, we are pretty bad with fertilizer, espeically this year we haven't applied any. In the video the guy said some plants need it every three to four weeks. Maybe this is the problem with my peppers this year? Unfortunate since thats the thing I like to eat the most out of the garden.

Secondly, I don't put any mulch around the vegetable area. Any of you do this? We do put some around the fruit trees though to help retain water so I wonder why we haven't.

Lastly, I thought the soda bottle water trick was neat. Haven't seen that before. We use drip irrigation which makes it super easy though. Just have to remember to adjust the watering schdule according to the weather.

July 10th, 2010, 01:35 PM
MountainMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MountainMomma
I don't do the mulch, but i have a friend that does. She said that if I did decided to do it she advises agains the bark mulch because her hubby put too much on their garden this year and smoothered alot of the veggies. I'll definitely have to add that to my list of things to do differently next year.

I too wonder if fertilizer is why my peppers aren't doing well. I was definitely most looking forward to them this year, and so fat, it's not working that way. Darn!

I love the watering spike idea. I'm definitely going to have to get some 2 liter bottles and invest in some of those for next year!

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my new siggy!

Click on my blinkies to tour some of my favorite boards!
July 26th, 2010, 06:43 AM
kassia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't mulch, I do fertilize.

July 26th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Kelly's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't fertilized, although I think my blueberry bush needs it. I'm going to have to get some.

I add coffee grounds when DH makes coffee, and I added epsom slt a few times. I've also blended up banana peels with water and used it to water the plants. lol.

July 26th, 2010, 07:37 AM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yumm... Banana water. Lol. I love that you can take wastes from nature and reuse them.

July 26th, 2010, 11:35 AM
4wildflowers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to 4wildflowers
We do mulch, fertilize every 3-4 weeks with Miracle Grow, and have drip irrigation. I love the drip... it makes a huge difference, in my experience.

My kids.....
Jake 13
Shane 9
Brynne 6
Claire 4

July 27th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Kelly's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What's the difference between drip irrigation and watering with a hose?

I accidentally bought a soaker hose instead of a regular one last month and have yet to bring it back and exchange it (it was only $4.99 so it's not like I am losing out on much $). I was thinking of getting a splitter and keeping the drip hose in my garden. I just don't see what the benefit is, I'd have to go turn the water on either way.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search