Squash Bugs :(

Forum: Gardening

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gardening LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 24th, 2010, 07:44 PM
4wildflowers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to 4wildflowers
I know we've discussed this before, but I can't find the thread.... so I'm sorry for reposting!

I get squash bugs every summer, and they are almost impossible to get rid of. We've been using either Sevin, or Bug-B-Gone, but you can only reapply those after so many weeks. I'm noticing that within days of spraying, those disgusting squash bugs are back again. I'm getting real frustrated because last summer, they killed my two cucumber plants. Everything is growing so well for me this summer, and I'm thinking of yanking the squash and zucchini plants out (even though the veggies have been so good), because it has become a never ending battle. They are worse this summer than in years past. I'm not about to let them kill off my entire garden.
My question is, have any of you dealt with them, and been successful in getting rid of them, permanently? WHat did you use? Everyone I talk to says they are impossible to get rid of.

My kids.....
Jake 13
Shane 9
Brynne 6
Claire 4

July 25th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
I just googled squash bugs.....

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEW is that what those nasty freaky little things are?!?!? EW EW EW!

Here is a good article....and here too.

Co-Host of July 2014 DDC
..........Jackie..........

Team Green Predicted A Boy

July 25th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Aren't they disgusting??!!! I hate them!!!
Thank you for the article! It sounds like I'll be ripping my squash plants out. I am tired of dealing with them.

My kids.....
Jake 13
Shane 9
Brynne 6
Claire 4

July 25th, 2010, 10:46 AM
I was just talking to Josh about this today after reading those articles. We didn't have any problems that we noticed with squash bugs, but SOMETHING was tearing up our garden... on top of the storms, everything was destroyed so we've ripped the entire thing down over the past two days and are just letting it decompose as a compost type thing where the garden is.

Co-Host of July 2014 DDC

July 25th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Oh what a shame. I'm sorry to hear that. Nothing was salvageable?

My kids.....
Jake 13
Shane 9
Brynne 6
Claire 4

July 25th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wildflowers View Post
Oh what a shame. I'm sorry to hear that. Nothing was salvageable?
We got a lot of onions, and some cucumbers. A few tomatoes....not much One piece of squash, we had some lettuce earlier in the summer. Carrots didn't turn out right which brings me to my next thread....

Co-Host of July 2014 DDC

July 25th, 2010, 03:13 PM
kassia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm new to this board but I just spent the last several HOURS ripping out my zucchini and squash plants. Then hand squashing all the bugs I could find as well as the eggs. I am really hoping to save a few plants. I HATE these bugs

July 25th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2Lovies View Post
We got a lot of onions, and some cucumbers. A few tomatoes....not much One piece of squash, we had some lettuce earlier in the summer. Carrots didn't turn out right which brings me to my next thread....
Oh man, I'd be devastated to lose the tomatoes, especially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassia View Post
I'm new to this board but I just spent the last several HOURS ripping out my zucchini and squash plants. Then hand squashing all the bugs I could find as well as the eggs. I am really hoping to save a few plants. I HATE these bugs
That's what I'll be doing tomorrow. I went out today, after spraying just yesterday, and found several more, and several eggs, too. What did you do with the plants? I'm thinking of putting them in big black trash bags before dumping them in the garbage can. I don't want any of those suckers on the loose!

My kids.....
Jake 13
Shane 9
Brynne 6
Claire 4

July 25th, 2010, 04:36 PM
I made sure the plants were clean and put them in the compost pile which is a good distance from my garden. (my trash man won't take yard stuff) I do have three plants (one squash and two zucchini) I am going to at least attempt to save. I am going to spray them tonight and see what happens. My biggest worry is saving my watermelon, I have three melons on it and would hate to see it go. My cucumbers are toast

My tomatoes on the other hand are wild, I have a ton of them. They seem to really be the only thing I can grow this year LOL

July 25th, 2010, 10:05 PM
My tomatoes are doing great, too. Those are my main concern. Were your cukes next to the squash? My cukes are fine as of now, but I'm wondering if I get rid of the squash, will the bugs reappear on my cucumbers? Such a pain!!

My kids.....
Jake 13
Shane 9
Brynne 6
Claire 4

July 26th, 2010, 04:40 AM
pinkroses's Avatar Veteran
I haven't been down to our garden the last 2 days due to the weather but I'll be heading down there this morning to see if there are any of these pests hanging around. I really hope not, we have a lot of really nice squashes and the squash plants are right next to the cucumber plants, which I'm sure there are more cucumbers ready to be picked.

Do these pests invade all veggie plants?
July 26th, 2010, 06:17 AM
Quote:
My tomatoes are doing great, too. Those are my main concern. Were your cukes next to the squash? My cukes are fine as of now, but I'm wondering if I get rid of the squash, will the bugs reappear on my cucumbers? Such a pain!!
Yeah they were next to them. I sprayed last night and when I went out this morning I didn't see any bugs on the plants I am trying to save but that doesn't mean they are gone. I hate really hate these things

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkroses View Post
I haven't been down to our garden the last 2 days due to the weather but I'll be heading down there this morning to see if there are any of these pests hanging around. I really hope not, we have a lot of really nice squashes and the squash plants are right next to the cucumber plants, which I'm sure there are more cucumbers ready to be picked.

Do these pests invade all veggie plants?
They stick to plants in the cucurbit family like squash, zucchini, cucumbers and pumpkins. So things like tomatoes should be safe from them

July 26th, 2010, 07:11 AM
Quote:

They stick to plants in the cucurbit family like squash, zucchini, cucumbers and pumpkins. So things like tomatoes should be safe from them
Oh good, I would hate to lose all the tomatoes. I'll check the cucumbers and squash today. Thanks for the info
July 26th, 2010, 07:41 AM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow. I've never olanted squash before and now I'm glad I haven't. If I try I think I might try putting it in a differen area than the rest of my plants.

July 26th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Yeah they were next to them. I sprayed last night and when I went out this morning I didn't see any bugs on the plants I am trying to save but that doesn't mean they are gone. I hate really hate these things
Well that atleast gives me hope!

Those bugs make my skin crawl. I can't even stand to put my hands in there to harvest something b/c I'm afraid one will crawl on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSwab View Post
Wow. I've never olanted squash before and now I'm glad I haven't. If I try I think I might try putting it in a differen area than the rest of my plants.
That's a good idea. I was thinking if I wanted to try again next summer, I'll plant like one plant far on the other sider of the yard. But then I wonder if they will migrate over to the other garden where my cukes will be.

My kids.....
Jake 13
Shane 9
Brynne 6
Claire 4

July 26th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Well that atleast gives me hope!

Those bugs make my skin crawl. I can't even stand to put my hands in there to harvest something b/c I'm afraid one will crawl on me.

That's a good idea. I was thinking if I wanted to try again next summer, I'll plant like one plant far on the other sider of the yard. But then I wonder if they will migrate over to the other garden where my cukes will be.
I would have to think they would find your cukes if they are in the area lol
July 27th, 2010, 04:55 PM
I went out this morning and found the return of the bugs, so I killed all that I found and did it again after work this evening. I still maybe able to save these four plants but it's gonna take some serious bug squashing abilities LOL

July 28th, 2010, 05:57 AM
Quote:
I went out this morning and found the return of the bugs, so I killed all that I found and did it again after work this evening. I still maybe able to save these four plants but it's gonna take some serious bug squashing abilities LOL
Good Luck, I hope you are able to save them!
July 28th, 2010, 06:43 AM
No bugs this morning!!

July 28th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Hopefully, they remain gone this time!!

Well mine are still in. My father wanted to try spraying one more time, with something new. I told him I'll give it a few more days and if this stuff doesn't work (which I have a feeling it won't), the plants are history!!

My neighbor, right next door, has been saying they aren't getting the squash bugs. I told her to look closer b/c they HAD to be there. Sure enough, she went out yesterday morning and spent an hour killing bugs and eggs. She said they had to have killed a few HUNDRED eggs. Their garden is on the other side of the fence that seperates our yards..... directly across. We've probably been sharing bugs.

My kids.....
Jake 13
Shane 9
Brynne 6
Claire 4

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search