been MIA (garden update some questions)

Forum: Gardening

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gardening LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 29th, 2010, 09:52 AM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
sorry i sort of stopped posting. my m/s was so bad in the beginning and i lost all interest in my garden.
it's been a strange year for crops and gardens in my area this year. with the non stop heat and humidity, no one's gardens seemed to do well. my zucchini plants were huge with tons of flowers, but only produced 2 huge zucchini and then died. and the zucchini didn't even taste good.
my onions never took, my herbs did ok, but i planted them a bit too close to my zucchini, so they didn't didn't get quite enough sun. my cilantro grew huge, but quickly died and now we have coriander.
right now all that's left are peppers (thai chillies, habeneros, jalapenos) and tomatoes.
the tomato plants grew huge as well and we only got a few very tiny roma tomatoes. the thai chillies are already turning red, but they are probably 1/5 of the size they should be. i have about 4 huge habenero pepper plants, with only 2 peppers on one of them. and i got 2 jalapenos from that plant.

so all in all, i had a bunch of humongous plants and barely any vegetables.

now i want to plant my fall crops, but i think it may be too hot. it's still in the 90's. should i hold off till it cools down? i am plating lettuce, spinach, broccoli, and celery.

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US
August 30th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
those are supposed to be planted in the fall? oops.... I thought you could plant them anytime? I'm not that great w/ gardening.

Our garden was destroyed this year w/ storms and us planting too many things too close together.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

September 12th, 2010, 08:49 PM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Personally I would wait to plant leaf vegetables. They wilt and die here in the california sun. Just my personal expereince. They are a fall crop (and yes you are supposed to plant fall crops now) but out here it is more of a winter thing. You could always try planting them and then filter sunlight down. I've found that they do not do well with that much direct sunlight though. Also, the hotter it is, the more water they need.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search