I could really use some idea, please help! Wasps!!!

Forum: Gardening

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gardening LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 10th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hello everyone,

I've never posted here before. I wish I could garden, but we don't have the space or time to care for one. Anyways, I came here hoping to get some ideas. I figured since you all spend a lot of time outdoors, you might be able to help me.

We live in an ancient mobile home. Before we moved in, it was not taken care of. The yard was what I called "wild." There were so many insects, it was just not tame. I know every yard has bugs, but this was bad. It has tamed down a lot since we started mowing and keeping up with the grass length and stuff like that. Our problem is wasps. They are everywhere. They have so many nests in the nooks and crannys of our house. Jayden, my two year old, has already been stung once this year and it is only Spring time. He was stung for the first time last year, too. I am terrified to think of how many more times these wasps are going to get him now that he is so much more active outside compared to last year. He was only walking around out in the yard and a wasp flew out and got him on his finger. They are just out of control. Not to mention, this mobile home must have holes somewhere that we have yet to find. I kid you not, we kill an average of 5-10 of them a day INSIDE!!! They just keep coming in!! If we don't do something about it, my poor baby is going to eventually get stung while watching TV, minding his own business. We need help, bad. This is a rental trailer, so I am trying to get our landlord to come see how bad it is and help us figure out how to stop the wasps. I know they will never be totally gone, but if they can at least be reduced, it would make a big difference.

Can you suggest any good products or pest control companies? Remember, we have so many wasps, a single can of wasp spray won't even scratch the surface. Thanks in advance, I appreciate any help! -Tara

Thankyou for the siggy, Jaidynsmum!
April 10th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Mami's Avatar Christian Parent
wow, I cant imagine. Thats is alot. I dont have much advice but I would say to try to get rid of any flowers or anything that has pollen or has sugar around them. My DH when he sees them, he sprays them with WD-40 then knocks off nest. I imagine in your case, you will have to find the nests and kill them. I found some websites, hope they can help you.

btw, welcome here!

Wasp Deterrent: How To Get Rid Of Wasps
Get Rid Of Wasps: Traps & Tips : TipNut.com
How to Get Rid of a Wasp Nest

Thank you JMC1988 for the beautiful siggy!

April 11th, 2011, 05:14 AM
3OhioBoys's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My first thought is that if it is a rental you should inform the landlord and maybe they will help.

Second, we have used a trap from Lowe's that looks like a bee hive, it is yellowish orange color. You put raw meant and juice inside and it lures them in and they can not get out. I would get a few for outside and try to get them out.

Good luck!

Forever remembering your smiling face.
April 15th, 2011, 01:33 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
We hired someone to come in and get rid of the bugs. I would see if you have a terminix or something of that nature. It sounds like there are alot and perhaps to many to just keep letting them hang out. Plus with the other bugs they can get rid of them all. Our company was green pest services but terminix bought them out. Good luck. That is no fun.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search